LSU vs. TAMU calls (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
First off, i am not a LSU fanatic, but i do typically hope they do well, just not when they play Vanderbilt :). But I'm a Saints fan first and foremost. Regardless, I find football rule interpretation very interesting and feel as though i have a very strong grasp of the NFL rule book, but maybe not as much with the NCAA's. Can anyone provide any incite to the following calls or non-calls:

1) On the last drive of regulation, TAMU spiked the ball when the game clock seemingly expired. Refs reviewed and put one second on the clock. Aside from it appearing to be illegal formation, Coach O is saying it never should have happened because of some 3 second rule. As I understand it, if there's at least 3 seconds, then a spike can be pulled off, but if there's less than 3 seconds, it can't be. Here, the clock stopped temporarily at 3 seconds for the first down, but started once the ref spotted the ball. Because there's obviously some delay in the ref spotting the ball and the snap, there must've be less than 3 seconds when the snap occurred. So by rule, the spike could not have occurred (even though it did appear there was 1 second left on the clock on replay). Thoughts?

2) I feel confident that the catch/hit/drop in the first overtime would have been called a fumble in the NFL, but i know the NCAA still has what is essentially the old NFL rules making it difficult to have a catch (case in the point, the end of the Vanderbilt/Ole Miss game). It looks like the player "caught it" and secured it while taking two steps before having it dislodged when hit. Is that not a catch under NCAA rules? It must've been pretty clear to the review people upstairs since they didn't even take extra time to review it, so i must be missing something.

3) Whichever overtime it was when the refs threw a flag for false start, but because the RB was moving laterally before the snap, they picked the flag up. Was that right? I don't think I've ever heard of that.

Thanks for the help!

I’m not a rules expert, and only a part time LSU fan, but that was a horribly officiated game. There is a unwritten rule in all sports that referees calls shouldn’t decide games. Several times during this game the refs decided the outcome, and it seemed that every call went against LSU. Putting 1 second back on the clock was completely arbitrary — I can’t see how any ref in the world can look at film and tell if the spike got off in time. That’s what he clock officials are for, let them do their jobs.

The pass interference against Greedy Willams in OT that gave TAMU the ball near the goal was ridiculous as well. I watched the replay and saw nothing. That decided the game, and the refs had no business stepping in there.

The game was poorly called all around, and considering that they made those kids play through 7 OTs, one of the longest college games ever, the players deserved better.

I’m not a rules expert, and only a part time LSU fan, but that was a horribly officiated game. There is a unwritten rule in all sports that referees calls shouldn’t decide games. Several times during this game the refs decided the outcome, and it seemed that every call went against LSU. Putting 1 second back on the clock was completely arbitrary — I can’t see how any ref in the world can look at film and tell if the spike got off in time. That’s what he clock officials are for, let them do their jobs.

The pass interference against Greedy Willams in OT that gave TAMU the ball near the goal was ridiculous as well. I watched the replay and saw nothing. That decided the game, and the refs had no business stepping in there.

The game was poorly called all around, and considering that they made those kids play through 7 OTs, one of the longest college games ever, the players deserved better.

I agree and understand with all that, but just hoping for some insight on the three incidents I listed because I am truly confused about them. There were certainly some other questionable calls, but I understand those.

Definitely deserves it’s own thread

It absolutely deserves its own thread. I'd prefer not to dig through that game day thread to see if and where these three issues were addressed.

Last edited:
There were a lot of mistakes in this game but the non catch, non fumble call really irks me. It was a catch and it was a fumble and we recovered to end the game.

Any legitimate review would have proved in favor of LSU.

"Minimum Time to Spike the Ball If the clock is stopped with 3 or more seconds remaining in a quarter, and the clock will start on the Referee’s signal the Offense may spike the ball and if executed properly could have time remaining for another play. If the clock is stopped with 2 or 1 seconds in a quarter and will start on the Referee’s signal, there is only enough time for 1 more play. "

This answers the first question since there were 3 seconds on the clock. Still don't understand the other two issues.

This article breaks down the calls. Even the illegal formation looks like it's really close when you look at it from the correct angle...like I said, a bunch of whining

https://www.nola.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/11/2e236184f91863/analyzing-the-controversial-pl.html
This article breaks down the calls. Even the illegal formation looks like it's really close when you look at it from the correct angle...like I said, a bunch of whining

https://www.nola.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/11/2e236184f91863/analyzing-the-controversial-pl.html

The article does not address the picked up flag on the false start . I have yet to see an explanation. As for the no fumble call, the article basically says the call on the field would stand either way. The author of the article mentions the ball moves while in the receivers possession. While this is true, the receiver does tuck it away and secure it very briefly right before being hit. That should be enough to warrant a catch. Regardless, I understand it was a bang bang play and the refs would be very reluctant to end the game by overturning such a close call.

LSU got blatantly forked. Period. That game was rigged. Yes, I said, and I mean it. If I could have jumped into my tv, rushed the field, and knocked the fork out of a ref, they would have had to pull me off that umpire.

106 plays, only 3 penalties - from LSU's first drive, they never called Aggies for blatant offsides, never for offensive holding, missed a few blatant false starts, reviewed every damn play that could have benefited the Aggies and not one play that could have benefited LSU, spotted the ball very questionably, called a ghost pass interference when the game should have went into the 8th overtime, robbed Grant Delpit of multiple game ending plays, and more.

fork the SEC refs, and fork the NCAA for allowing this sheet to happen. That was a gross injustice, nearly as bad as the 2006 Auburn game.

And despite ALL of that, LSU still had multiple chances to win. I was rooting for Esminger, but his offense looks just as pathetic and unimaginative as Les Miles, and there were a few first and goal drives where LSU went to 3 consecutive runs, QB or otherwise, against the best run defense in the conference when the pass hadn't really been stopped in that area for the entire game. Arranda could have brought more pressure at certain times, and that poor defense was down half its starters by the time we were in the 7th OT period.

All that said, that was pure bullshirt and I had to take multiple sleeping pills, extra strength excedrin, and have a fan blowing on me to fall asleep because my ears were red hot leaking steam and I was so upset. I woke up and all day its there. All forking future when the "highest scoring game in history" is revisited, I'll have to be reminded of how LSU was blatantly forked out of a win. I hope some rogue LSU fans burn the forking SEC office to the ground (with no one in it).

LSU would be ranked 6th right now. Next week GA will lose to Bama... that's good for 5th. If Texas beats OKL again, LSU would have snuck in at 4th. At worst, a New Years Six.

Terry McAuley responded on Twitter to some of this. Of course Terry McAuley never saw a penalty he didn't call either, so take that for what it's worth. It's posted at the end of the game thread if anyone cares enough to go find it.

First as I write this, I was not able to watch the game so everything I go by is what I've heard. A false start is moving forward before the snap so IF the player was moving laterally he was good. The reception/ fumble sounds like a judgement call. The play I've seen where the TAMU player was short of the yellow line, I would have to see where the sticks were. I dont trust the yellow TV lines. I dont know the 3 second rule so cant say anything on that. But to me it all comes back to what someone told me. Didn't LSU miss an extra point in regulation. Sure calls hurt. Some can potentially keep you from winning or losing. But if you look back at every game there's things teams do to lose it themselves. That's my 2 cents that I'm sure no one cares about.

Even if you give them the benefit of the doubt on the alignment on the LOS, it was still illegal, because no eligible receiver lined up to the left of the LT. Some are saying that it would not result in the game ending, since there wouldn't be a 10 second run-off, but at worst the play should not have counted, so the TD would not have counted. I have my doubts about the 10 second run-off not being applicable, because what would stop a team with players way downfield and seconds remaining from simply having them stop wherever they are to snap the ball in an illegal formation if that's what is needed to save time? Teams could just take the 5 yard penalty and abuse that if there is no 10 second run-off.

A false start is any movement after becoming set, or making a move forward for any player in motion. Williams was set, not in motion. It was a false start and not even debatable. Cole Tracy missed a FG early in the game but was 5/5 on XPTs. It does help to watch the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom