M. Lewis not going to play Sunday? (1 Viewer)

I think we need him and I hope he plays, but this idea that we aren't activating him so that the Ravens can't plan for him is a bit silly, IMO. Kick return coverage is pretty simple. And Lewis doesn't do anything different than anyone else- get the ball and run as fast as you can. He's just really fast. But is there some way that they could possibly prepare for him that's different than anyone else?

Either way, I hope he busts one! Our kick returning has been pretty lackluster. Not bad, but not exciting. I hope 84 takes one to the house.

Going on record here if he returns kickoffs: doubters, haters and pre-mature in declaring his career over posters will be eating their words. They know who they are. Watch for some electric stuff from Lewis should he get the nod. ;)

TPS

Quoted for truth. (DISCLAIMER: I'm a big enough fan of Michael Lewis and the Beerman story that my 19 month old son's middle name is Lewis.)

He's a game changer.

any office word on this yet? i'm really hoping beermans back. he'll help out our kick returns and coverage teams.

I can't imagine that they put him on the PUP list instead of releasing him or putting him on IR if they didn't intend on playing him. Keep in mind we put one of the best punters in the league on IR and brought a free agent rookie when Berger would have been fine after a few weeks of rest.

I can't imagine we signed him to a new contract in the offseason if the coaches AND the front office didn't want him around and we knew how old he was.

I can't imagine we would put Stecker back there for another return to the 22 when Lewis can bust one.

In games in which you are playing a tough defense it makes the return game that much more important. If he doesn't play this week I don't think we will see him on the field again.

I talked to michael's sister today (graduated with her) and she told me that michael was going to play and that he got some tickets for his family to go "watch him" so ima go with yes he will play but hey she might not be totally right.

Thanks for sharing the "insider" news Gerdy

A little off the subject, but reading that reminded me of how glad I am that Sean Payton is the Saints' head coach. To hear a coach answer questions with intelligence is such a breath of fresh air and welcome after years of what we have had.

On Michael Lewis, I believe Payton knows what kind of weapon Lewis could be in this offense. I expect to see the Beerman on the field as soon as Payton is comfortable that he can return kicks and then Lewis will be worked into the regular offense.

I have a friend that friends with a janitor that works at another friends work that said he's playin lol.... seriously i Mike tears them a new one on special team .

It's hard not to love the Beerman.

Hard working local beer truck driver who finally gets his shot and the NFL and makes the best of it with the Saints.

Everyone wants to see him play this year and blend in with the new coaching staff while we're having success-- including me!

HOWEVER, I wonder if the Beerman has any kind of future with this new coaching staff. Fact is Lewis hasn't been that great at punt returns(last year especially) and is a small target on offense and his route running certainly was never anything spectacular. Then again to be fair we haven't see him in Payton's offensive scheme.

As good as Lewis is on special teams, Payton to me has come across as a coach who really doesn't like to waste a roster spot on a one trick poney. I think if a punt or kick off returner wants to make this team he better contribute in some other way and be good enough to hit the field as a wr or db.

I just have a bad feeling that Lewis might follow the path of Zach Hilton....loved around here(for good reason) but not part of this coaching staffs plans.

since when was micheal lewis not good at punt returns... thats the first ive heard of it.

Yeah beerman would never contribute as much as the feared and respected Lance Moore and the beloved future Hall Of Famer Terrence Copper.

wth??

i can understand us cutting michael lewis for lance moore, and i wouldn't mind it at all, but you have to understand that Payton knows Copper from Dallas and specifically brought him in after cuts...

Payton's not going to cut ties for one of his former players for a guy he's never really seen play first hand...

since when was micheal lewis not good at punt returns... thats the first ive heard of it.

Lewis was great early in his career, but later on developed this habit of running out of bounds and actually putting himself in position to be run out of bounds early in the return, rather than try to make something happen or try to churn out some tough yards going up the middle.

Hey I love the Beerman and I think we really miss his kick-off returns, but punt retuns, well, imho, not really.

2002 4th punt ret avg 1st in pr yards (played 16 games)
2003 16th in avg 18th in yards (played 13 games)
2004 4th in pr avg 6th in yards (played 14 games)

down year in 2003 but hardly a player i would call a not so good punt returner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom