Major League Baseball 2024 (4 Viewers)

Can my cubs turn things around?
Somebody else did the math a few days ago. They have to play at about a.578 pace to reach .500 by the end of the season and a little better to make the playoffs. It's unlikely but I'll watch anyway.

Anybody ever hear a worse version of the National Anthem than what just happened at the Home Run Derby?

I feel bad about it. It's in the Roseanne category but she was trolling. I think that this kid was giving it her all. šŸ™
I think this is what happens when you rely on autotune, which covers up an abundance of woes.

At any rate, let's go O's! They kind of stumbled into the break, so hopefully the time off will get them straight.

And the Yankees are scum. Gone are the days of Torre, Rivera, and Jeter. I respected them then, even though being from Maryland, I of course hated the Yankees. The video of one of the current Yankees laughing after Gunnar Henderson was intentionally beaned made me sick. I can still remember when Paul Blair was beaned by Ken Tatum of the A's. Neither Tatum nor Blair were ever the same players afterward.

Last edited:
I think this is what happens when you rely on autotune, which covers up an abundance of woes.

At any rate, let's go O's! They kind of stumbled into the break, so hopefully the time off will get them straight.

And the Yankees are scum. Gone are the days of Torre, Rivera, and Jeter. I respected them then, even though being from Maryland, I of course hated the Yankees. The video of one of them laughing after Gunnar Henderson was intentionally beaned made me sick. I can still remember when Paul Blair was beaned by Ken Tatum of the A's. Neither Tatum nor Blair were ever the same players afterward.
Auto-tune is a nice, convenient mostly studio trick to iron out a vocalist, or band's singer rough edges, incomplete high or low notes, or lack of melodic nature on certain tricky songs, but live on-stage, especially when an artist is drunk, high it's a lot harder to mask how badly some performers sound on some nights or shows.

FWIW, the first major hit song or song period to use auto-tune was Cher's 1998 " Believe " and even though its been mostly beneficial, I've always seen auto-tuning as kind of cheating. Many of the great rock bands of the 60's, 70's, 80's, hip hop groups of the 80's and mostly 90's didnt have auto-tuning and I think the fact that it wasn't their made singers and bands better. IMHO, because they could hone, develop, and master their vocals better naturally then just relying on a bunch of computers to artificially "make" your voice sound better. It's kind of lazy, to be honest with you, Terps, or it can lead some artists to becoming over-reliant and not really try to develop or grow how they sing in different ways.

The Orioles, throughout their franchise's existence, are a "streak" team---meaning they can go for long periods looking like absolute world-beaters, no-contest AL East division titles, ALCS or WC appearances, or WS appearances and titles from the late 60's-1983. Those Orioles under Buck Weaver seem almost mythical now. Then they proceed to fall apart for over a decade in the mid 80's-mid 90's, become competitive again in the late 90's for a few seasons, then become a perennial loser and doormat again until the early-to-mid 2010's.

How in the hell, Terps, does a very good, promising, dominant at times Orioles team that wins 100 games last year have a brain hemorrhage suddenly once the WC round starts and gets its arses collectively kicked? Winning 100+ games in a MLB regular-season is sort of equivalent to going 13-4 or 14-3 in a NFL regular-season and both aren't easily achievable or replicated. At least the Ravens won a playoff game vs. Texans before their mental mistakes, turnovers burned them against the Chiefs.

Astros are a game behind the Mariners for first in the AL West. They have the best record in baseball since June 1 too. I think they need to add at least one bullpen piece or more at the trade deadline and possibly a starter. Rumor has it they might be in the Pete Alonso sweepstakes but idk why Singleton has been a decent replacement for Abreu and they have close to the same stats since Singleton took over

Auto-tune is a nice, convenient mostly studio trick to iron out a vocalist, or band's singer rough edges, incomplete high or low notes, or lack of melodic nature on certain tricky songs, but live on-stage, especially when an artist is drunk, high it's a lot harder to mask how badly some performers sound on some nights or shows.

FWIW, the first major hit song or song period to use auto-tune was Cher's 1998 " Believe " and even though its been mostly beneficial, I've always seen auto-tuning as kind of cheating. Many of the great rock bands of the 60's, 70's, 80's, hip hop groups of the 80's and mostly 90's didnt have auto-tuning and I think the fact that it wasn't their made singers and bands better. IMHO, because they could hone, develop, and master their vocals better naturally then just relying on a bunch of computers to artificially "make" your voice sound better. It's kind of lazy, to be honest with you, Terps, or it can lead some artists to becoming over-reliant and not really try to develop or grow how they sing in different ways.

The Orioles, throughout their franchise's existence, are a "streak" team---meaning they can go for long periods looking like absolute world-beaters, no-contest AL East division titles, ALCS or WC appearances, or WS appearances and titles from the late 60's-1983. Those Orioles under Buck Weaver seem almost mythical now. Then they proceed to fall apart for over a decade in the mid 80's-mid 90's, become competitive again in the late 90's for a few seasons, then become a perennial loser and doormat again until the early-to-mid 2010's.

How in the hell, Terps, does a very good, promising, dominant at times Orioles team that wins 100 games last year have a brain hemorrhage suddenly once the WC round starts and gets its arses collectively kicked? Winning 100+ games in a MLB regular-season is sort of equivalent to going 13-4 or 14-3 in a NFL regular-season and both aren't easily achievable or replicated. At least the Ravens won a playoff game vs. Texans before their mental mistakes, turnovers burned them against the Chiefs.
That week-long layoff last year did in the Oā€™s, Astros, and Braves. All 3 won 100 games in the regular season, then the 3 combined to win exactly one playoff game. When youā€™re used to playing 6 games a week and youā€™re doing well, itā€™s good to roll right into the playoffs.

Can't wait to watch the Brew Crew take on the 2nd H here! Such a fun team and their system is loaded, so they can likely go get some pitching to help. The Flubbies and Counsellout are TOAST. Cards and Pirates could make it an interesting race, though.

Can't wait to watch the Brew Crew take on the 2nd H here! Such a fun team and their system is loaded, so they can likely go get some pitching to help. The Flubbie and Counsellout are TOAST. Cards and Pirates could make it an interesting race, though.
I think this current run of consistent success at least in winning seasons, division titles, and post-season appearances the Brewers have enjoyed arguably since 2017 is the best (and longest) run Milwaukee has seen since the late 70's/early 80's when the Brewers enjoyed their first winning seasons, made their first playoff appearance in strike-shortened 1981 season, then the miraculous, Wally's Bangers" 1982 Milwaukee Brewers team that went all the way to World Series and played in one of the most competitive WS in MLB history, giving the Cards all they could handle in a 7-game series. Even 42 years later, many Milwaukee and Wisconsin sports fans still talk about that squad with almost religious fervor and reverence. They had a line-up which included future HOF's Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, IIRC, Cecil Fielder, legendary former A's starter Rollie Fingers who provided much-needed veteran presence and leadership, plus he'd won 3 consecutive World Series with Oakland from 1972-74.

Milwaukee is a hard-boiled, diverse, blue-collar town and even though Packers and Bucks have been mostly winners or contenders over the past 30+ years or so, Brewers have always seemed like the odd team out that sports fans there want to see win maybe a little bit more then the rest. I know the past 7-8 seasons have been good, and enjoyable for Brewers fans seeing their team win all those division titles even if playoff success has been somewhat elusive.

Last edited:
That week-long layoff last year did in the Oā€™s, Astros, and Braves. All 3 won 100 games in the regular season, then the 3 combined to win exactly one playoff game. When youā€™re used to playing 6 games a week and youā€™re doing well, itā€™s good to roll right into the playoffs.
FWIW, Terps, since you're a lifelong Md. native, I have to ask and I can understand if it might take you some time to properly, correctly answer it or posit a informative, retrospective response: how would you rate the late Peter Angelos overall as Orioles owner?

He certainly was colorful and a tad controversial at times, and his tenure as owner was filled with maybe a few more downs then positives, but he did help get Camden Yards built right before Baltimore almost lost the Orioles the way Colts originally left in the late 80's. Angelos certainly was a huge opponent of MLB returning to Washington D.C. (for business/marketing reasons). in 2005 and IIRC, was the sole MLB owner who voted against Expos relocating there and not that he lost sleep over it, but it certainly pissed off more then a few DMV D.C. sports fans and residents, including prominent sports journalists and reporters who were happy to see MLB baseball return to our nation's capital after being gone for 34 years.

Astros are a game behind the Mariners for first in the AL West. They have the best record in baseball since June 1 too. I think they need to add at least one bullpen piece or more at the trade deadline and possibly a starter. Rumor has it they might be in the Pete Alonso sweepstakes but idk why Singleton has been a decent replacement for Abreu and they have close to the same stats since Singleton took over
Our Stros need to show they can do it by winning the series (a sweep would be a real statement. of course) against the Mariners this coming weekend. If they do that, I'll have real hope they can not only win the division (which is weak), but actually have a shot at making the Series.

Our Stros need to show they can do it by winning the series (a sweep would be a real statement. of course) against the Mariners this coming weekend. If they do that, I'll have real hope they can not only win the division (which is weak), but actually have a shot at making the Series.
Astros will likely be a 2nd H force, esp IF they can get some pitching reinforcements. Luis Garcia just got pulled off rehab--even though they are saying it's not a 'setback'...McCullers already had a setback--shocker. They need Verlander to get right. Might need to turn to my fellow UWM alum, AJ Blubaugh, at some point. There is hardly any other pitching in the upper levels of the system.
Hopefully they stop jerking around with Loperfido. I really dislike how this manager has handled the younger guys--when it comes to playing time.
Seattle simply has no offense, it's really incredible. But their rotation is ELITE and deep. Pen is good, too.

I no longer have DIRECTV so unable to watch games. Iā€™ve had to rely on highlights and score updates via MLB app. So not really up to date on some of managerā€™s decision making. Hunter Brown seems to have turned the corner after a horrible start though

FWIW, Terps, since you're a lifelong Md. native, I have to ask and I can understand if it might take you some time to properly, correctly answer it or posit a informative, retrospective response: how would you rate the late Peter Angelos overall as Orioles owner?

He certainly was colorful and a tad controversial at times, and his tenure as owner was filled with maybe a few more downs then positives, but he did help get Camden Yards built right before Baltimore almost lost the Orioles the way Colts originally left in the late 80's. Angelos certainly was a huge opponent of MLB returning to Washington D.C. (for business/marketing reasons). in 2005 and IIRC, was the sole MLB owner who voted against Expos relocating there and not that he lost sleep over it, but it certainly pissed off more then a few DMV D.C. sports fans and residents, including prominent sports journalists and reporters who were happy to see MLB baseball return to our nation's capital after being gone for 34 years.
Angelos started off well enough as an owner, but gradually became obsessed with money. He was in the top 10 for MLB owners net worth, but had a payroll consistently bottom three. Iā€™m glad for the ownership change.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom