Manning Center of attention - too bad it's Archie (1 Viewer)

much as i dislike hearing someone badmouth a friend, I AGREE for the most part with what he is saying. Let Eli have his spotlight and the team have theirs, if what this writer is saying is true i would be annoyed as well if i were one of the players or even Eli depending on the situation. The father is excited his son is going to the superbowl i can understand but theres a time and a place for all that and to me the writer makes it sound he overstayed his welcome and hogged the spotlight from the team and his son

Is anybody aware that neither Archie, or anyone else, not even President Bush, could have gained access to that locker room unless he were invited in? The red carpet is always rolled out for Archie wherever he goes to see his sons play, and even when he goes to SEC or pro games that no family member is in. He is respected everywhere, except by some jerks like the guy that wrote that article.

Are you a dad? Most dads would allow their kids to be in their deserved spotlight. I would be just as proud unseen. Oh, you can throw a punch however, there is a possibility your arm won't return. and I like Archie.

What makes anyone think that because Archie goes and hugs his son after a great game, that is stealing the spotlight? IT IS WHAT THE SON WANTS!!! Maybe some people never had any love and affection and closeness in their homes and just don't get it. Archie was there to hug Peyton after the Super Bowl win. Peyton was proud as punch that he could do something so great as get a ring for his Dad. And, yes, his Dad is as proud of that ring as though he had won it himself. That is not upstaging, THAT IS LOVE! That is being a great parent. Leave Archie alone, media people, or I will come sock you one! I take up for Archie and all the Mannings. (And I am a woman!)

If my son was playing in that game- would they have let me into that lockeroom???

No. You aren't Archie Manning. He is an icon. He has status because he played in the league, was a great qb on a rotten team, and everybody knows it, still has his hand in football, and has produced two sons who play qb in the NFL. One of them is blooming and the other one is already headed for the Hall of Fame.

If you can match that, maybe you can gain access to the Giants or Colts locker rooms.

This is how important Archie is. A couple of years ago, he and Olivia got stranded in Memphis trying to get to the Colts game against San Diego, in which Peyton was about to break the TD record. Jim Irsay, the owner of the Colts, sent his private jet to Memphis to get Archie and Olivia. Archie was so nice that he invited another family he had just met, who were trying to get to the same game, to ride in the plane with them!

I like Archie, he is a good guy. I didnt think Archie was upstaging Eli at all and I am sure Eli was happy to have his dad there. I thought the article was kind of harsh.

The one question it did bring to mind for me is whether the "team" is okay with the special treatment Archie, and therefore Eli, might seem to get.

The giants have 50 players. It was a huge moment for all of the players and all of their families. Do all of the players get to have their dads come hang out in the locker room after the game?

The article seemed to imply some of the players were resentful of Archie being in the locker room and him being the story. Burress in particular had a big game and Eli got about ten times more media attention. Now that would have happened whether Archie went to the lockers or not and Burress may have resented that anyway, I do not know.

But I can see if one or more players were resentful of Eli getting too much attention how they might not like Archie being there. Now I agree getting resentful because the qb gets attention is a waste of energy, thats life in football. But I do think the article raises a question if it turns out parents are not allowed in locker rooms but somehow Archie gets preferential treatment.

One might argue if Archie does get special treatment its because he deserves it as the most famous football dad in the world. Its still an issue with two sides.

I say he was in the locker room not because Eli invited him in, but probably the owner. Archie was probably outside waiting for Eli to come out, and someone saw him, told the owner, or Coughlin, and they went and got him.

The thing is, Eli was looking for his family, it was on tv, he could not find them, and went on to the locker room for the ceremony. That was all on tv. We saw the ceremony. Archie was not in there then; I did not see him on tv. The ceremony happened so quick after the game, Archie hardly had time to get down from that suite he was in. I believe he was hanging around and someone brought him in. What is wrong with that? He is the qb's father, for goodness sake, and everybody knows and likes Archie but low-lifers!

Why would anyone care about Tom Brady's dad? Did he play in the NFL? Is he a media personality? I would expect similar attention given to Phil Simms should his son ever become fortunate enough to lead a team to thje Superbowl.

It's a great story: Dad toils for horrible team his entire career only to raise two sons who take their respective teams to the Superbowl.

Of course I'm sure there are better places to conduct interviews, but the press' fixation is the issue here and not Archie's willingness to be interviewed.

Probably. I know that I have been in locker rooms and I wasn't related to anyone there before, nor was I there in an official capacity. I was simply the friend or the friend of a friend of a player.

I wonder if the same low-lifer that wrote this article is one of the same people that cannot quit talking and gushing about how great the Patriots and Tom Brady are? Talk about getting sick of something...

Last edited:
I had to read it even though it was a garbage article. How many Men have played in the NFL, then had 2 of his sons play in consecutive SuperBowl, 0. He is just a proud father, who is happy for his youngest son. After all the trash talk about Eli, his son, I cant imagine how happy he was for him. He had to hear week in and week out about how bad Eli was playing, even though he wasnt playing as bad as the media made it sound. He wasnt taking up Eli's spotlight, he was just enjoying the moment with his son. This is rediculous.

Gregg Doyel will probably be complaining about Peyton on Fox during the Super Bowl or Cooper on the NFL Network postgame. I hope Archie enjoyed the game wherever he was hiding out in the University of Phoenix Stadium.

Perhaps the fact that Archie's father committed suicide before he could share in Archie's successes has something to do with his being such a part of his children's successes. Doyle is entitled to his opinion. I wish he would cut Archie some slack here.

Very good point, from someone on the outside looking in they might not understand and think that a parent may be crowding the kid but knowing that you can easily see why he's such a big part of those dude's lives.

Where is the article of his interview with Plaxico? He was obviously right there when Plax had to squeeze by so I am sure started an interview with him. Thats why he was part of the problem clogging up that hallway, right????

The writer sounds like a guy who was just frustrated he couldn't get anyone to talk to him.

Happy Dad

Thats Archie ,he never got to show his stuff in a playoff game.End of story.:9: Loves his Boys!!! Eli playing great ,so time to find another Manning to pick on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom