Marcus Williams (1 Viewer)

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Sticky Post
...needs to learn how to keep his head up when attempting to make a tackle. On Watson’s TD run, he had a chance to lay a hit on Watson at the 3 and instead, Watson did a little hop and avoided a diving Williams, with his head down. It has to stop. Aside from the fact he could get injured and a concussion.

Big_L

Team Big Pimpin'
Reaction score
I admit at this point I’ve got concerns about Williams. He has talent but his instincts seem off, especially in late game situations, which can be fatal for a guy who is supposed to be the last line of defense.

In that last Texans drive, they got the ball back down by six with less than a minute to play and the length of the field to drive. Williams proceeded to let Houston wide outs get behind him not once but twice surrendering the go ahead score in less than 20 seconds! That can’t happen. Ever. I’m not saying it’s all Williams fault but if there was ever was a situation for your free safety to keep everything in front of him, that was it. Worse, it’s a recurring theme with him in late game situations and it has cost us before and almost did again last night. Payton can’t allow it to continue and I’m guessing he won’t.
I don't agree with this...

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
There’s a reason Safeties are Safeties and not Cornerbacks. Hopkins was abusing our best CB in Lattimore all night and y’all are expecting Williams to cover him? Obviously Williams did a lot of good things to be rated so high buy PFF. Plus he’s still young and has a lot of room to improve

Nolan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There’s a reason Safeties are Safeties and not Cornerbacks. Hopkins was abusing our best CB in Lattimore all night and y’all are expecting Williams to cover him? Obviously Williams did a lot of good things to be rated so high buy PFF. Plus he’s still young and has a lot of room to improve
I wouldn't say Lattimore got abused.

Rmcleod999

Rebel Saint
Reaction score
My buddy sitting next to me said wow he just did the exact thing he did on the Vikings play. Then they showed the replay and I was like wow your right looked almost exact. He wiffed Watson, didn’t even touch him.
I thought the same thing when he whiffed on that tackle but I felt better about his game after his interception later.

Jb25saints

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Coaches need to get on him. I get they like him but I think they’re giving him a pass when they need to get on him about his mistakes so he can clean them up. He was the one who allowed Hopkins to get that final catch, he should have been over the top. I like Marcus but unacceptable. The interception was nice but it’s like one step forward, two steps back. He needs to do better. I believe he can.

It would be nice to see what Saquan could do back there tho. Maybe give the kid a couple of snaps to see.
Yep most replays you see Williams watching the catch from behind instead of being in on the play.

Saintsfolife

“NOOB”
Reaction score
Lattimore gave up 4 reception for 51 yards and a touchdown how is that being abused

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
Lattimore gave up 4 reception for 51 yards and a touchdown how is that being abused
People have unrealistic expectations. I think a lot of Saints fans are just spoiled. We are looking at and reacting harshly about which DE is our rightful 2nd because one had an indeterminate number of draft picks used to get him and he other didn’t.

Talking about a lack of depth at WR because of who we wanted as our 5th WR to be inactive.

We have things pretty good compared to other teams.

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yep most replays you see Williams watching the catch from behind instead of being in on the play.
There's an awful lot of trailing, arriving late or watching the completion happen.

There was the INT, which is how it's supposed to work, so maybe that will catapult him but he's been in a playmaking drought. I can't say how much that has to do with what the coaches are assigning him.

OP
OP
Super44

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
While he graded out the best defensive player last night, it still does not negate the fact he still tries to tackle with his head down! That is my point. Nothing else, nothing more. Never did I say he played bad. Where are some of you coming off?

RiverRat

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
The amount of ground he covered to make that interception was unreal. It looked like one of those annoying madden animations. The dude had a great game.

Saints-R-Us

Reaction score
You can't just look at the bad aspects. I think he will turn it up this year. He had a crucial interception. Nobody's perfect. Tamper your expectations and move on from the Minnesota miracle.

Le_fleur_fan_78

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
...needs to learn how to keep his head up when attempting to make a tackle. On Watson’s TD run, he had a chance to lay a hit on Watson at the 3 and instead, Watson did a little hop and avoided a diving Williams, with his head down. It has to stop. Aside from the fact he could get injured and a concussion.
You would think he would have learned in Minny.

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
I had really high hopes for Marcus when we drafted him. He was seen as a possible ball hawk with good size at 6’1” 200 lbs. He looked great as a rookie up until the play that possibly cost us a trip to the Super Bowl. I was hoping that play would motivate him and bring his game to another level, but it seemed to do the opposite.

He had the dreaded sophomore slump for sure last year, so we went out and drafted 2 safeties. He looked like the player I was hoping he would be on that interception, but then he turned around & had that terrible play in a big spot. I hope he will eventually turn it around in these next few weeks cause if not I hope we give CGJ a shot. I know he had that huge penalty, but that was such a ticky tack play that was really close to being a great play being he was kind of close for the block.

I don’t know we shall see but my patience is running thin with him and I’m sure it’s the same with the staff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom