Michael Thomas likes Nader's Tweet on the Saints Medical Staff (2 Viewers)

The last part is true. Speaking from experience, cortisone shots can create tendon issues. I’ve torn two tendons and after evaluating the MRI, the ortho said the fraying of tendon fibers that eventually snapped was largely due to overaggressive conservative treatment of tendinitis- which means administering cortisone shots way more frequently than typical, mainly to avoid surgery, while allowing me to continue competing and to also provide relief. I trust this guys opinion as he was part of the medical team for the Dodgers, Lakers, Ducks, and Kings and has seen tons of similar issues with athletes.

I received a cortisone shot in my elbow back in ~2016 for tendonitis. When I did my Separation and Retirement Physical in 2019 for my retirement from the Air Force, a sports medicine physician administered it and reviewed my records. He would've never done a cortisone shot in my elbow for the reasons that you mention for the chance of it tearing or popping.

Last edited:
I received a cortisone shot in m elbow back in ~2016 for tendonitis. When I did my Separation and Retirement Physical in 2019 for my retirement from the Air Force, a medicine physician administered it and reviewed my records. He would've never done a cortisone shot in my elbow for the reasons that you mention for the chance of it tearing or popping.
I can promise you that players jn the NFL have the same treatment from their medical staff and it certainly will weaken tendons to the point of a single hit causing complete tendon avulsion.

I can promise you that players jn the NFL have the same treatment from their medical staff and it certainly will weaken tendons to the point of a single hit causing complete tendon avulsion.

Yeah, it's always in the back of my head that something could happen to it. BTW, I reworded my post and accidentally deleted the sports part for sports medicine physician.

I know that the day my dad got his heart transplant that someone else lost their life, that is not lost on me and my family.

Personally, I have nothing against Oschner and in fact and very thankful for everything they did over the years. I do understand that not everyone has had the same experience.
The extra 20 years you had with your father and the last 20 I did not have with mine are the reason I have the little "Organ Donor Heart" on my drivers license. What is the saying, "Heaven knows we don't need our organs there." Hopefully when I die, my family will gain solace that whatever functioning organs I have remaining are used to give another family 20 extra years with their loved one.

Plus, chicks dig organ donors!!

I know the Toe injury is making people scratch their heads about the medical staff. But I'm sure the staff is qualified just fine.
As someone who is dislocated his own toe and did 2 internships in sports medicine, standard procedure is literally to rest and wait. That is is called a closed reduction procedure. They are just setting the dislocation back. They only do open reduction if the MRI shows more damage like a broken bone, soft tissues being compressed etc. The rest part usually takes up to 6 weeks and sometimes longer. He got hurt in week 3 and we are in week 10 right? Adds up.
MT was getting ready to go from all reports. He thought he was good. They did another scan and it showed he wasn't. Dislocations can become chronic if you're not careful. That's the last thing he wants. It's possible he could have suited up and played, but he runs a risk. He made the decision i would have made. Have the surgery to fix it now.

Different staff but remember how the Keenan Lewis injury was handled too.
Yes what happened to both Keenan Lewis and Delvin Breaux was messed up. It was eerily similar to MT. They both had non season ending injuries that happened in the very beginning of the year, then lingered throughout the entire year and into the entire next offseason, and then they were eventually both cut by the beginning of their next year because of the same injury. It's a shame though, 2015-2016 would've been a lot different if we had both Eastbank/Westbank.

The extra 20 years you had with your father and the last 20 I did not have with mine are the reason I have the little "Organ Donor Heart" on my drivers license. What is the saying, "Heaven knows we don't need our organs there." Hopefully when I die, my family will gain solace that whatever functioning organs I have remaining are used to give another family 20 extra years with their loved one.

Plus, chicks dig organ donors!!

I absolutely agree. We always had that bumper sticker with that saying. IIRC, it was blue with white writing.

Organ donor for sure and identified on all my ID cards.

I believe there have been changes since then with the medical staff. May want to revisit.
No need. I said they have been bad for years. Hence the change. Now our whole team is still banged up and MT was obviously told to try rehab all to need surgery. Just as before.

What no one has talked about is the human side o the equation! The Dr’s can only do what they do best. Once they set the program in motion the player has to follow the rules to the tee. These are highly fine tuned athletes who has always trained and pushed their bodies past its limits. Sometimes they do not follow the directions for whatever reasons and you get set backs. We do not know if it’s the athletes or Dr’s who is wrong but with so many success rates I would tend to think some athletes my not follow orders.

What no one has talked about is the human side o the equation! The Dr’s can only do what they do best. Once they set the program in motion the player has to follow the rules to the tee. These are highly fine tuned athletes who has always trained and pushed their bodies past its limits. Sometimes they do not follow the directions for whatever reasons and you get set backs. We do not know if it’s the athletes or Dr’s who is wrong but with so many success rates I would tend to think some athletes my not follow orders.
Yep, patient noncompliance is a real thing doctors deal with all the time.

With athletes, factor in the pressure coming down on them from coaches all the way up to the owner to get back on the field as soon as they can as well as the pressure they already put on themselves as hyper competitive people and it's easy to see how they could maybe try to cut corners in the plan of care to get back to work.

Couldn’t agree more
It doesn’t matter if the medical staff, the coaching staff, or anyone else with the organization is straight trash, you just don’t do this kind of stuff. It’s the prime example of the dysfunction that is within this organization right now. Express stuff in house, this immature BS is such a joke.

It doesn’t matter if the medical staff, the coaching staff, or anyone else with the organization is straight trash, you just don’t do this kind of stuff. It’s the prime example of the dysfunction that is within this organization right now. Express stuff in house, this immature BS is such a joke.
Normally I would agree with you 100%. However, we have this season reached an entirely new level of incompetence. We can't know Thomas' exact situation and the advice he was given but here is my issue we have had many players out and missing over 4 weeks. Yet we have put almost no one on the IR list. This is wasted roster spots and also it sends the vibe that we don't know what we are doing. I get the vibe they just take it day to day and assume a player is going to play unless he can't play. It is wasteful on roster spots but it also has to put tremendous pressure on players to get better/play maybe before they are ready.

So when Mike Thomas likes a tweet saying our medical staff stinks I kind of think he is just saying something the rest of us already know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom