Mike Bell vs Pierre Thomas (1 Viewer)

Ive watched ALL of Bells games in DEN, and i can say he will struggle at times when teams stack the line, But so will any RB, so who cares? Hes a solid RB with a good skill set and a really strong work ethic.
Shanahan got a little too arrogant with his running scheme a few years ago, and tried to take players and make them what they werent, like Bell into a FB. He also couldnt focus on one RB and instead got caught up in a random RB by commitee, but he lost control of it, and it was hard for Bell to stay focused and ready to be a RB again.
Bell will be fine, as long as he gets physically ready for the season.

Both PT and Bell have not played enough to say who is better then the other. I just hope the both stay healthy all season cause we gonna need the both of them.

Why should there be a debate why one saint player might be better than another. I am just glad both Bell and Thomas on our team. They will both get their touches and as long as a running back produces, I could care less what the number on the back of the jersey reads.

Most teams are not going with single halfbacks anymore or even two running backs. Many successful rushing teams are using the concept of RBBC and I don't see the problem with that.

What does it matter? We have all three Thomas, Bush and Bell. What good does it do to build one up and tear the others down? Do you hope the backs you don't like do poorly and cost the Saints a game just so you can be right about those backs? This isn't directed at the OP, just a question in light of all the running back criticism going on in the forum lately.

Bell is going to need Pierre this season just as both need Reggie. Bell isn't in the shape he needs to be in to carry this team (even he has admitted it), and will surely get injured if we rely on him too much. Same with Pierre, same with Bush. None of these guys are all that durable, so having all three of them to spell each other in different ways is a really good problem to have. Hopefully Hamilton is as good as advertised also, as I'm sure he'll get some playing time too this season.

Bottom line, if they wear Saints' colors on Sunday, I'm rooting for them regardless of their position on the depth chart, how good of a runner they are, where we drafted them, or their salaries. Who Dat!

HERE HERE!

Great post, when it comes down to it, i'm a big fan of all three of these guys and as long as they wear the B&G they'll have my backing!! WHO DAT!!

Bell is bigger, faster, quicker and stronger. PT has better hands, balance and absorbs hits better. It seems like they complement each other nicely. Neither are gamechangers, that's where Bush's value comes into play.

The three, together, are perfect for what we're trying to do.

I don't care which is better. I just want the best player to be on the field.

Their running styles are way different.

Bell has amazingly quick feet, and fairly good speed and power. His elusiveness is fair. His running style is a lot like Aaron Stecker.

Pierre is powerful, breaks tackles, has great balance and vision, and absolutely great hands. His running style reminds me of Tashard Choice.

I don't see much difference in the 2 until you get into hands. Pierre rarely fumbles or drops a pass. Bell has dropped a few in NO and in Denver.

Advantage Pierre. I'm hoping we can keep him for many years, and he will have the same kind of career as Kevin Faulk. If that means he gets 30 touches or gets limited playing time, either is fine with me.

I'm not trying to rain on ayones parade. This is just my opinion. Bell is not half the running back that Pierre is.

I mean we think Bell is our best running back b/c....why?

Let's look at it. He ran well against Houston IN PREASEASON. Houston's rush defense is the 2nd worst in the league. He looked good against Detroit. Detriot's Defense is the worst rush defense in the league. Not to mention we were throwing all over Detriot(the first 2 possesions we had 2 touchdown passes). They were trying to stop the pass...they only had 6 players in the box.

My point is that Pierre got it dont last year in the last 6 games against good defenses. Pierre would of had a better game if he had played in place of Bell against Detriot.

I think that Pierre is more versatile and more athletic than Bell. I think Pierre is by far the better running back.

I would like to see Bell get it done against better run defenses. Philadelphia will be the perfect chance. I hope I eat my words but in the end, Bell will not be getting more touches tham Pierre. Everyone will see who the better back is when they are both getting carries during games.

*I like that Bell was able to convert on 3 and 1(again this was against Detriot)

Thomas needs to get healthy to see what he can do. I like the 1-2 punch of Bell-Thomas with a little Reggie on the side.

PT VS BUSH
now
PT VS BELL

lol

Payton has said they are going to share carries. It doesn't matter who is better.

For what its worth I think Bell is the more explosive runner. PT is probably better at catching though.

It does matter who is better. i agree with you on your latter points. i think payton likes pierre but doesnt it seem as tho paytons always trying to replace him?? i think in the end payton is gonna go with the one producing. if mike bell continues to run with the authority/production that he displayed/had against the LIONS then you can bank on him being that #1 running back. In the end were still a passing team and that wont change but what payton is mostly looking for is a RB that can convert those 3rd and 2's and 3rd and 1's and M.Bell has done that with great success. Not so much for Pierre.(see last yr). I do think pierre is a really good RB with potential to be Great. But in one game i've seen more Power to move the chains in Mike Bell than i have with Pierre since he's been here

Thomas needs to get healthy to see what he can do. I like the 1-2 punch of Bell-Thomas with a little Reggie on the side.

I agree with that too. Just saying this about Pierre b/c many people keep crowning Bell as the best running back we've has in a long time? I do like our backs as a whole. PT>Bell

Ive watched ALL of Bells games in DEN, and i can say he will struggle at times when teams stack the line, But so will any RB, so who cares? Hes a solid RB with a good skill set and a really strong work ethic.
Shanahan got a little too arrogant with his running scheme a few years ago, and tried to take players and make them what they werent, like Bell into a FB. He also couldnt focus on one RB and instead got caught up in a random RB by commitee, but he lost control of it, and it was hard for Bell to stay focused and ready to be a RB again.
Bell will be fine, as long as he gets physically ready for the season.

god i hope teams stack the line on us so we can run the playaction and score a TD with DH every single time....its not that easy to stop this team...pick ur poison pretty much...stack the line leave the backside in gods hands (or breesus)...dont stack the line and we can run or still throw the ball...in the past 3 seasons no team has been able to stop this passing game its tooo prolific...remember guys we are not a run first team we just need a balance on this team and we have that this year...i think we might have more than a balance and have a good run offense

Here is the funny thing about this topic:

If we played Phily the first game and Bell ran for 56 yard on 17 carries we would be saying "and NOW we have Pierre Thomas back ~ Finally" not "who cares who runs the ball".

Mikes two breakout games were against an 2nd string defense against the titans and probably nothing more formidable in the Lion's defense last week.

Before the year starter I felt we needed to distribute the ball better between passing and rushing.....we were 21st in the league last year with 1600 rushing yards and I felt we needed to bump that up to 1800+ to have a balanced attack and keep teams honest.

Originial predictions: 1,100 yards Pierre Thomas
550 yards Bush
250 yards Bell

I am now convinced Bush will not rush for 300 let alone 500 yards.

Revised to date:
1,000 Pierre Thomas
575 Bell
325 Bush

I still can't believe Mike Bell will rush for 575 yards, but I feel that is much closer to his final numbers especially with 150 already under his belt.

Pierre Thomas is a vital cog to this offense wether you remember what he can do or not, you will when he leads this team in rushing TDs and total TDs. He still scores 15 TDs this year.

To the person who said they picked Pierre in the third round, that was a wise choice....no way he would have lasted until the 5th.

Comments welcome :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom