Mike Florio Discusses the Possibility of NFL Teams Having NIL Funding (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Florio has some fair points; he uses the story involving the Las Vegas Aces on how they're being backed by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority as an example, but I think bigger markets like SF, LA, New York, Chicago, and Dallas would have an edge over teams like the Saints with NIL. It makes sense for the WNBA but not the NFL.

What large companies in the city would put up the extra cash to sign a pass rusher or the much-needed offensive linemen? Lol

I don’t think NIL is gonna have the effect (if any) because everyone is already getting paid millions.
The NCAA has NIL because that’s the only source of income for college athletes.

It’s harder for a smaller college to do NIL because even the best programs in the country are still regional, but in the NFL every franchise is a national brand.
If you’re good in NOLA, Dallas, Chicago, or Tampa, you’re gonna get national endorsements.

The NIL system for college athletes is completely different and would never work in the NFL
Unless I’m missing something, NIL is just collecting athletes getting endorsement money.
And in this day, you can that kind of cash in any pro team.
Especially in the NFL where market size doesn’t matter.

What large companies in the city would put up the extra cash to sign a pass rusher or the much-needed offensive linemen? Lol
Maybe 20 years from now, we’ll be watching the WalMart Greeters take on the Starbucks Baristas on MNF.

I think the point is that say when we had prime Drew Brees: Other companies could do NIL with him to help pay what his contract would be so that his cap hit would be more like a league minimum deal and we could sign more better players around him.

I think the point is that say when we had prime Drew Brees: Other companies could do NIL with him to help pay what his contract would be so that his cap hit would be more like a league minimum deal and we could sign more better players around him.
But there’s no difference between that and a player taking less becoming he makes some extra cash from endorsements.
That’s what Brady did and he went to small market Tampa.

This has sports corruption written all over it, more so than what exists!

"Hey! I'm paying you millions and millions of endorsement dollars. Lose the game and my Vegas winnings will triple your money."

I personally don't like the NIL deals in college as it is. I understand it and appreciate it but don't like it. I have the mentality that if you are getting paid millions for your likeness, you can pay for your own college. Scholarship revoked. It's a case of the rich getting richer.

Back on track though, I don't think the NIL would work in the NFL as it is. It's already there to a degree with advertising. They pay the athletes amounts to use them in commercials as it is.

Florio has some fair points; he uses the story involving the Las Vegas Aces on how they're being backed by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority as an example, but I think bigger markets like SF, LA, New York, Chicago, and Dallas would have an edge over teams like the Saints with NIL. It makes sense for the WNBA but not the NFL.

San Fransisco won 4 super bowls using NIL..... NO the NFL doesn't need that.

I don’t think NIL is gonna have the effect (if any) because everyone is already getting paid millions.

How many championships has the NIL(uncapped salaries) buy with the Yankees and Dodgers?

This is just standard Florio BS to get clicks to his site. I won't get suckered in to it.

It would give another advantage to big market teams and move the NFL away from parity. I doubt the NFL wants that, as much as owners like to win they like money more, and league parity makes them a ton on money.

How many championships has the NIL(uncapped salaries) buy with the Yankees and Dodgers?
The Yankees have 2 championships in the last quarter century and the Dodgers have three since 1980 with about a three decade gap between championships.

It would give another advantage to big market teams and move the NFL away from parity. I doubt the NFL wants that, as much as owners like to win they like money more, and league parity makes them a ton on money.
I think the TV contracts keep things more competitive than the salary cap.

This is just standard Florio BS to get clicks to his site. I won't get suckered in to it.
It's not a bad convo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom