More Pete Carmichael Roasting - Ross Jackson @ Locked on Saints (1 Viewer)

While I understand the concept behind changing play callers and the negative chances it has shown through history, I still say if Pete can’t get things on track after this week he needs to go.

More than likely, if we do make Pete step down from play calling duties, that duty will go to someone in house like Curry. So the philosophy and verbiage won’t change much if any but maybe Curry has more sense to call plays that work in certain situations.

The 17.4 yard average on 3rd & 5 or less just shows the incompetence of Pete. I’m sure he’s thinking, since it’s so short that’s what the D will be looking for so let’s try to hit one over the top. Decent thinking but don’t send every WR deep. You got to have layers and someone underneath for when those routes get covered. Maybe Carr is just slinging it hoping instead of making the underneath throw.

We need more back shoulder throws and slants to MT. Olave and Shaheed need to be doing some crossers, drags, and quick comeback routes to get in space and make plays. There is just no imagination in this offense at all and too many times there have been multiple WR’s in the same area. Just horrible play design and calling.

If I remember correctly, we were at the bottom when it came to motion offense. I haven't seen a change at all.

What are the six of nine? We scored 21+ points in 14 of 16 games, more than any team that year, it’s hard to understand how that translates to a bad offense.
I'll take it from here gents...

2012 is a prime example of why context is important...yes we scored points. But we did not score points when they mattered.

Here's a little bit of BS (BayouSaint...not you know) analysis from BSJ:

Game 1 vs Wash, we lost 40-32, you're thinking surely it had to be a shootout right...wrong...we went 3 and out to lead off and 3/5 of our 1st half drives were 3 and outs...in fact, there was a point where we were down 30-14 and 7 of that 14 came from a blocked punt for a TD

game 2 vs Carolina we lost 35-27...ok that was definitely a blow for blow contest right...nah not really at one point we were down 28-13...we started off 7-0 but a pick 6 tied up the game at 7 early and then a couple fgs a few consecutive 3 and outs and then viola...down 28-13

game 3 vs KC - lost 27-24, we got hosed in this one, but still 7/13 drives ended in less than 5 plays...we even gave up a safety in this one.

game 4 vs GB - lost 28-27 slow start vs GB with a pourous defense had us down 21-7 in the 1st half, we clawed back into it and led late, but defense failed us at the end.

game 7 vs den lost 34-14: Too many punted posessions and turnovers put us behind 17-7 at the half...started 2nd half with 2 more posessions ending in punts and left us trailing 31-7 when everybody stopped caring.

game 12 vs Atlanta - the streak ends 5 ints no tds...dont really need to say more about that:

game 13 lost 52-27 to Giants: we scored 6(we did get a pick 6) points on offense in the first half...went into the locker room down 21-13....turnovers, fumbled twice in first half. But no worries we got them in the 2nd half right? Nope, started off with an interception on the 1st play of the 2nd half...down 28-13 as a result, never got closer than that

Point is, everyone has this romantic idea that it was JUST the defense that cost us games...slow starts on offense and lack of defense cost us. We punt they score, we punt again they score again...then we run up yardage and points when the game is out of reach....not a potent offense, just a master of compiling garbage time numbers.

2012 is a prime example of why context is important...yes we scored points. But we did not score points when they mattered.
Thanks for the write-up, I'll check it out more closely this evening.

One thought... do you have any faith (definitely rhetorical asking you this question) that PC and Carr could put up the garbage time yards and stats that you're describing? It still takes an overall good offense to score in short time, and there are many teams that fall behind and can't find a way to get any points.

Thanks for the write-up, I'll check it out more closely this evening.

One thought... do you have any faith (definitely rhetorical asking you this question) that PC and Carr could put up the garbage time yards and stats that you're describing? It still takes an overall good offense to score in short time, and there are many teams that fall behind and can't find a way to get any points.
Teams played us differently in 2012 vs how they would today. Back then a D can let off the heat against us once they got a lead because on the opposite side we couldn't stop anyone. So we ran uo yards passing, scored some token points but were never a real threat to take a game once we fell behind.

Today defenses will try to smother us because a couple reasons...one we already put the pillows on our own damn faces with our small ball offense so it's easy to just put their hand on top and apply a little pressure and 2. It's not easy to score on us on the flip side. So they're keeping the pressure on us for the entire game because they're almost always a r---- mistake (from the movie "Life") from being behind.

So long story short....no we can't rack up GT stats with this team because philosophically we're incapable of sustained chunk plays. We have an over reliance on 19 play 60 yard drives that end in FGs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom