More Roster Moves (1 Viewer)

nosaints213

ad majorem dei gloriam
Reaction score
Offensive tackle William Robinson and guard Dennis Landolt were signed to practice squad deals, along with wide receiver Montez Billings who has bounced on-and-off the Saints practice squad roster for two years now.

To make room for that trio, the Saints released quarterback Sean Canfield, long snapper Kyle Nelson, and center Cecil Newton.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/09/new_orleans_saints_coach_sean_162.html

It's good to see 2 more OL on the PS, but I guess they didn't like Canfield that much....

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/09/new_orleans_saints_coach_sean_162.html

It's good to see 2 more OL on the PS, but I guess they didn't like Canfield that much....
I don't think that's the right thing to read into these moves. The Saints had 9 OL before the moves, one short of two full units. The signing of John Gilmore added a TE, which was Kyle Nelson's other position, so cutting him freed up a spot for one OL. They needed a guard/tackle as opposed to a center/guard, so they cut Cecil Newton, freeing up another spot. Then, both Arrington and Moore are hurt and comprise of half the injury report. So, they needed another guy to play receiver. They added him and the biggest "luxury" left was Canfield. I suspect he'll again shuffle on and off the PS as circumstances change. The net result leaves us down to 7 from 8 at LB in the organization, which is still fine.

Landolt is an extremely athletic tackle who played at Penn. St. who needed to get more fiesty, but has great athletic tools. In college, he had some lazy games, but when he was on, he was a force.

The only thing I am surprised about is Canfield being cut from the PS, as that leaves us with absolutely nobody behind Daniel.

I'm a little surprised about Canfield, only because I'd think it's harder to run practice with only 2 QB's. Especially if your only backup QB is supposed to be spending a lot of his time practicing his holds for the team's brand-new, left-footed kicker.

Who's gonna sign him? He'll be on and off the PS all season as he did last
year. If we need him he'll be a phone call away.

Yep...Sounds like the ol' 54 man roster/9 man practice squad trick. He'll bounce on and off all year long, similar to Chase Daniel a couple of years ago.

The only thing I am surprised about is Canfield being cut from the PS, as that leaves us with absolutely nobody behind Daniel.

Typically they would have him on the PS for away games. Payton does this so he can travel with the team and could be quickly activated if one of our QBs wakes up on gameday with the flu or something else.

This is a night game so it's not as important to have him travel. I wouldn't be surprised if he's back on the PS by Wednesday, but I guess it will more likely be before the Jags game.

This may also be a sign that Lance Moore, the team's emergency QB, will be ready to go.

I gotta say, I think we got ourselves a keeper with De La Puenta. Really didn't even miss Nicks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom