N/S Tiki Unemployed and Sad (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...ber-remains-unemployed-and-sad?urn=nfl-wp6443
Tiki Barber remains unemployed and sad

By MJD
tiki_barber_remains_unemployed_and_sad.jpg
When Tiki Barber told HBO that he was returning to football because he "needed the game," and because he "needed to prove to [himself] that he could be successful at something," I thought it sounded like a recipe for a personal mental health disaster.
Now that NFL rosters are set at 53, and Tiki Barber never got to sniff one, I hope that's not true. According to Peter King at Sports Illustrated, Tiki isn't taking it well.
I tried to reach Barber on Sunday, but he wasn't talking. I hear he's devastated that no team gave him a chance. You might wonder if teams would bring him in after the first game of the season, so his contract wouldn't be guaranteed, and that could still happen. But with no team calling Lepselter with even a hint of interest, it's more likely teams would start with backs who've been in some football competition this summer.
[Barber's agent Mark] Lepselter told me Sunday: "We are flabbergasted that Tiki has not had an opportunity with any team, especially when rosters were at 90 players this year. I certainly thought some team would be intrigued to see what he had left in the tank.''
More

Hard to feel sorry for him when he did it too himself.

Once you give it up at an early age it's harder to get it back after a few years when you are older.

Not a very smart move by Tiki.:jpshakehead:

I hope he wasn't trying to come back for the money....if so, what a waste! Sometimes you have to wonder who the hell is advising (or not advising) young athletes when they get 'paid'.

Tikki can stop sobbing and do what Rickey did join the CFL or any medium to large size league to show he still got it.

Sold out his team and threw his (albeit shaky) QB, Eli, under the bus before the season. Then watched them win SB. Proceeded to show himself an awful sports commentator. Boo-hoo.

He had a job and lost it when he left his pregnant wife with twins by the way for some 20ish year old girl and the morals clause in his contract with NBC kicked in. I'm sure the only reason he came back was due to money his soon to be ex wife should clean him out and leave him broke.

My perception after Tiki left the 1st time was that he did the Giants(Eli) kinda dirty. Most teams may percieve Tiki more media than football player who wants him in the locker room takin notes.

It's much easier to feel sorry for a good person, but a good person wouldn't whine this much about his circumstances, a good person wouldn't put himself in these circumstances to begin with. I don't know Tiki personally, but I can tell you, I certainly don't feel sorry for him.

Note: I didn't think I would like Maurice Jones-Drew as much as I do, but this article and a few radio interviews later, I quite enjoy his take on things.

Had this been anybody else, I would feel sorry for him, but in all honesty I can't feel sorry him. He is fully responsible for putting himself in this situation. He had a good job, wife, and kids, and he threw it all away because he wanted to be an idiot.

Seems to me the only reason why he wanted to rejoin the NFL wasn't so much because of money, but it was because he felt like he was empty without it. The fact that he said he wanted to "feel successful at something" tells me he has no closure over his past failures yet, and he wanted something positive to happen in his life. What's crazy about that train of thinking is that he has been successful at something, and he choose to throw that success away. I would feel a bit more sympathetic if he was successful, and he just ran into a horrible patch of bad luck, and subsequently fell from grace. Yet, that's not what happened.

Sorry about my mini-rant, it just irks me that people like him want sympathy when they are responsible for screwing their ownselves over.

That is what he gets for retiring on the Giants and taking a parting shot at them after he left....only to have the Giants win the Super Bowl that same year.

Yeah, I bet Tiki is a depressed and sad man.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom