Analysis My Analysis Of Players We Drafted and Undrafted Free Agents (1 Viewer)

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm going through all of our drafted and undrafted players watching games and whatever I can find on them and giving the best analysis I can on them. This will take a while so I will update the thread as I do each player. I did this last year. So here goes.

I went back and watched 5 or 6 games of Bresee and what I saw was a dominant player when he was healthy.

Brian Bresee- DT, Clemson
Height- 6'5.5 Weight- 305# 40 Time- 4.86 Bench Press- 22 Reps.

The Positives:
Bresee has amazing physical attributes with elite power and agility for a person his size. Bresee plays with leverage and brings good power, especially in his lower body, consistently holds up against double teams in the run game. Finds the ball well and explodes into the backfield at the snap to disrupt passing lanes and find ball carriers. Plays with leverage at the point of attack whether inside or outside and moves linemen to either side with strong hands. He as lateral agility and balance to cover two gaps and Bresee shows some good closing burst when moving down the line in pursuit. He can win with leverage and is capable of dipping around the edge, But he is better off from what I've seen winning inside on counter moves with a combination of quickness and violent hands.

The Negatives:
My main concern with Bresee is the ACL. Watching him play the last couple of games this past season, it looked like he was back to playing like his old self again. He can play too upright and struggles with his leverage. I think he also needs to improve some against the run. He could also put on about 10 more pounds of muscle on his upper body and that would make him even stouter against the run. Bresee needs to be more consistent with his pad level and leverage on the line and also work on his change of direction skills, it looks average from what I've seen. It might be due to his height/weight. Taller and heavier payers have a little trouble with their change of direction.

Final Thoughts:
This is my overall thoughts on Bresee. I believe Bresee is an elite prospect. I say prospect because he hasn't set foot on an NFL field yet. His physical abilities, explosiveness, lateral agility, length, power and relentless motor, makes him a very good fit for our defense. Even though he is very fast, he lacks elite speed. No, Bresee isn't perfect, however, he still has room for improvement with his hand usage, pad level and leverage. I believe Bresee will a day one starter in our defense.

I expect Bresee's first season to have some growing pains like we saw with Cam and Calais Campbell. Cam had to adjust to playing 4-3 DE after lining up at the 4-I and 5-Tech in Cal's 3-4 defense. Calais had to adjust his pad level what with him being 6'8". People will need to understand this and show patience, but he may adjust faster than those two did as he'll have the advantage of playing alongside Khalen and Cam.

I expect Bresee's first season to have some growing pains like we saw with Cam and Calais Campbell. Cam had to adjust to playing 4-3 DE after lining up at the 4-I and 5-Tech in Cal's 3-4 defense. Calais had to adjust his pad level what with him being 6'8". People will need to understand this and show patience, but he may adjust faster than those two did as he'll have the advantage of playing alongside Khalen and Cam.
This... I honestly didn't like him being sooo tall for an interior guy.

It'll take time for him to develop his game.

His best comp would be a faster, but lighter Chris Jones

chris-jones-ras-12412.png

Screenshot_20230519_215936_Chrome.png

I would expect an unremarkable rookie season as he'll probably struggle with pad level for most of it.

Again, all I wanted the Saints to do in this draft was to select players who could come in Day 1 n compete n contribute to to the success of the team as rooks this year!

And for now, at least on paper, IMO, every single player we drafted has the talent ability, potential n opportunity to do just that!

But we’ll see!

I watched some games and read some news clips and listened to a few interviews on Foskey and this is the analysis I came up with.

Isaiah Foskey- DE, Notre Dame
Height- 6'5" Weight- 264# 40 Time- 4.58 Vertical- 34" Bench Press- 22 Reps. Broad Jump- 125"

The Positives:
Foskey is a super productive elite athlete with a freakish combination of size, speed and explosion. He flashes strength at the point of attack with active, violent hand use. He's strong and forceful with his upper body to defeat blocks. Foskey has violent hands and consistently breaks away and disengages from blockers. He's instinctive, reading, reacting and locating the ball quickly and finishing plays as an authoritive wrap-up blocker. He not only has long speed, but also an outstanding initial burst. From the games I watched, Foskey rarely gets beaten off the snap. He has great bend and enough flexibility to bend around the edge. Also has the ability to set the edge in the run game and he's at his best when he can use his quickness and change-of-direction abilities to counter back inside. Foskey has impressive strong violent hands and uses them like clubs and his technique is already like that of a seasoned veteran from what I can see.

The Negatives:
Foskey does have a tendency to play too high at times and with poor balance and power. He'll lose ground at the point of attack and he doesn't get the full benefit of his length. He is more fast than quick and as a result, struggles at times to adjust if his initial move doesn't work, he over runs the play. At times Foskey can be beaten and taken out of the plays on run plays by running directly at him. He definitely will need to add some strength.

Final Thoughts:
Isaiah Foskey is an outstanding edge rusher who combines very good athletic ability and outstanding overall technique. I can see that his long limbs and strong core strength allows him to power through blockers, and he has the flexibility to loop inside and get home on twists. Foskey also adds an extra dimension on special teams-- Has blocked multiple punts. He is a strong hustle player. He will still need to add strength, which while not a major issue could limit his upside as a complete player. I can see him as a rotational player this season as he adds more strength and by next season will be a full time starter. he will see a lot of 3rd down packages this season, coming in as a speed rusher, which we have been missing for a long time.

I watched some games and read some news clips and listened to a few interviews on Foskey and this is the analysis I came up with.

Height- 6'5" Weight- 264# 40 Time- 4.58 Vertical- 34" Bench Press- 22 Reps. Broad Jump- 125"

The Positives:
Foskey is a super productive elite athlete with a freakish combination of size, speed and explosion. He flashes strength at the point of attack with active, violent hand use. He's strong and forceful with his upper body to defeat blocks. Foskey has violent hands and consistently breaks away and disengages from blockers. He's instinctive, reading, reacting and locating the ball quickly and finishing plays as an authoritive wrap-up blocker. He not only has long speed, but also an outstanding initial burst. From the games I watched, Foskey rarely gets beaten off the snap. He has great bend and enough flexibility to bend around the edge. Also has the ability to set the edge in the run game and he's at his best when he can use his quickness and change-of-direction abilities to counter back inside. Foskey has impressive strong violent hands and uses them like clubs and his technique is already like that of a seasoned veteran from what I can see.

The Negatives:
Foskey does have a tendency to play too high at times and with poor balance and power. He'll lose ground at the point of attack and he doesn't get the full benefit of his length. He is more fast than quick and as a result, struggles at times to adjust if his initial move doesn't work, he over runs the play. At times Foskey can be beaten and taken out of the plays on run plays by running directly at him. He definitely will need to add some strength.

Final Thoughts:
Isaiah Foskey is an outstanding edge rusher who combines very good athletic ability and outstanding overall technique. I can see that his long limbs and strong core strength allows him to power through blockers, and he has the flexibility to loop inside and get home on twists. Foskey also adds an extra dimension on special teams-- Has blocked multiple punts. He is a strong hustle player. He will still need to add strength, which while not a major issue could limit his upside as a complete player. I can see him as a rotational player this season as he adds more strength and by next season will be a full time starter. he will see a lot of 3rd down packages this season, coming in as a speed rusher, which we have been missing for a long time.
He's honestly my favorite pick in the draft

The Positives:

The Negatives:

Final Thoughts:
I heard one film breakdown where they said they noticed when he was stand up he struggled against the run but when in a 3 point stance he was good. Also he's fast off the line but almost always takes a false step so could be faster. In general heard he doesn't straight up win a ton as a pass rusher but is a finisher and really good pursuer. So he puts up numbers. If true I don't hate it, especially if he can develop more as a pass rusher.

I started working on all of this about 2 weeks ago. Wanted to make sure that once I started, that we would be finished adding players, as in undrafted free agents. Some of these guys are hard to find information on. So it may take some time to make updates on some players. But anytime we add someone I will try my best to do a write-up.

I'm going through all of our drafted and undrafted players watching games and whatever I can find on them and giving the best analysis I can on them. This will take a while so I will update the thread as I do each player. I did this last year. So here goes.

I went back and watched 5 or 6 games of Bresee and what I saw was a dominant player when he was healthy.

Brian Bresee- DT, Clemson
Height- 6'5.5 Weight- 305# 40 Time- 4.86 Bench Press- 22 Reps.

The Positives:
Bresee has amazing physical attributes with elite power and agility for a person his size. Bresee plays with leverage and brings good power, especially in his lower body, consistently holds up against double teams in the run game. Finds the ball well and explodes into the backfield at the snap to disrupt passing lanes and find ball carriers. Plays with leverage at the point of attack whether inside or outside and moves linemen to either side with strong hands. He as lateral agility and balance to cover two gaps and Bresee shows some good closing burst when moving down the line in pursuit. He can win with leverage and is capable of dipping around the edge, But he is better off from what I've seen winning inside on counter moves with a combination of quickness and violent hands.

The Negatives:
My main concern with Bresee is the ACL. Watching him play the last couple of games this past season, it looked like he was back to playing like his old self again. He can play too upright and struggles with his leverage. I think he also needs to improve some against the run. He could also put on about 10 more pounds of muscle on his upper body and that would make him even stouter against the run. Bresee needs to be more consistent with his pad level and leverage on the line and also work on his change of direction skills, it looks average from what I've seen. It might be due to his height/weight. Taller and heavier payers have a little trouble with their change of direction.

Final Thoughts:
This is my overall thoughts on Bresee. I believe Bresee is an elite prospect. I say prospect because he hasn't set foot on an NFL field yet. His physical abilities, explosiveness, lateral agility, length, power and relentless motor, makes him a very good fit for our defense. Even though he is very fast, he lacks elite speed. No, Bresee isn't perfect, however, he still has room for improvement with his hand usage, pad level and leverage. I believe Bresee will a day one starter in our defense.

Kendre Miller- RB, TCU
Height- 5'11" Weight- 215#
Miller did not participate in any on-field events at the NFL Combine.

The Positives:
Miller has above average size for an NFL RB. He consistently produced running the ball. Miller is able to make easy changes of direction in the box. He runs with good vision and maintains space from defenders. He has good vision to find the hole and get North & South. Miller the leg strength to carry tacklers for additional yardage and to move the pile. He has a knack for picking out cut-back lanes and then breaking off chunks of yardage. He gets good initial push and always seems to be falling forward. He reminds me of the way Pierre Thomas used to run and always falling forward when he was tackled. Miller is a hard runner with a workhorse type back mentality. He's equally dangerous in catch-and-run situations.

The Negatives:
Kendre runs too upright at times and with some hip tightness, he needs to lower his pads and run behind them. Miller takes a step too long to get into his burst gear. He tends to dance too much behind the line at times. He struggles sometimes to make crisp cuts as an outside runner and Miller's route tree is a bit limited. He doesn't have quite the mass to plow through congested areas in short-yardage situations. Miller has good speed, but he doesn't have elite speed.

My Final Thoughts:
From the games that I watched of him and the break-downs of him I saw, these are my final thoughts on what we have in Miller. Miller is fast enough, but he doesn't have elite speed. Now, what he does have is long speed, which is why a lot of times after he gets through all of the traffic he can break off yards in big chunks and sometimes take it to the house. Miller is a smart and patient runner, with good field vision. I like the way he can hide behind blockers and it freezes defenders and then he breaks out to the edge and gets there before the defender leading to big gains. Miller uses his feet well to create explosive cuts and maintain and maximize space, as well as bounce runs outside quickly when the middle is too congested. I do find he is lean for 215#, he will need to add some muscle if he wants be that bell-cow back for grounding and pounding up the middle. I believe Miller is another big chess piece to add to the offense.

WHO DAT!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom