My how things have changed? (1 Viewer)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Years ago my Granny had a little AM/FM radio she used to listen to every morning in the kitchen. Nothing fancy, just a little black box with and on/off switch, volume knob and a dial. And it would pick up a few radio stations locally.

Me growing up had to have the Kenwood Stereo receiver with Pioneer speakers and subs woofers.

Now I have Satellite TV and radio with all the music channels, Hi Speed internet with Pandora and other internet music gizmo's. Dolby 5.1 surround sound, Surround sound with 5 different equalization settings and 6 speakers throughout the room. Am/Fm tuner with 1000 watt amp, Amazon Firestick, Youtube to watch every band available both live and full albums. A Cellphone which straps to my Handle bars of my motorcycle for all the playlist I have and any radio station that I could ever need to listen too. Automatic Weather reports, emergency signals notifications....

And all I want now is a little Am/Fm Radio with an on and off switch, volume knob and Dial, to sit on my computer desk and listen to in the mornings.

91DpAMhPeuL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:
Yeas ago my Granny had a little AM/FM radio she used to listen to every morning in the kitchen. Nothing fancy, just a little black box with and on/off switch, volume knob and a dial. And it would pick up a few radio stations locally.

Me growing up had to have the Kenwood Stereo receiver with Pioneer speakers and subs woofers.

Now I have Satellite TV and radio with all the music channels, Hi Speed internet with Pandora and other internet music gizmo's. Dolby 5.1 surround sound, Surround sound with 5 different equalization settings and 6 speakers throughout the room. Am/Fm tuner with 1000 watt amp, Amazon Firestick, Youtube to watch every band available both live and full albums. A Cellphone which straps to my Handle bars of my motorcycle for all the playlist I have and any radio station that I could ever need to listen too. Automatic Weather reports, emergency signals notifications....

And all I want now is a little Am/Fm Radio with an on and off switch, volume knob and Dial, to sit on my computer desk and listen to in the mornings.

91DpAMhPeuL._SX355_.jpg

5.1 is so 15 years ago. :hihi:

Well said, Joe. I am right with you.

Thank you Joe for restoring my sanity....I keep telling my kids I grew up happily in a world where we had 3 TV channels, a black and white TV, no internet, and the nearest cinema had one screen and was 32 miles away. There was no netflix, no video games, no mobile phones, no PCs and no social media.

They look at me wild-eyed and say: 'what on earth did you do with yourself all day?'

I say proudly, 'well, we talked to each other and read books.....'

And they laugh!!

Happy Days!

my father listened to an AM transistor radio as he ate breakfast before work, we used the same radio to miraculously pull in CKLW outta Windsor while doing the nightly kitchen chores.
now i stream 'iheart' up to a wireless bose speaker into the kitchen listening to either local news or wwoz.
thanks for the memory lane stroll, joe.

Thank you Joe for restoring my sanity....I keep telling my kids I grew up happily in a world where we had 3 TV channels, a black and white TV, no internet, and the nearest cinema had one screen and was 32 miles away. There was no netflix, no video games, no mobile phones, no PCs and no social media.

They look at me wild-eyed and say: 'what on earth did you do with yourself all day?'

I say proudly, 'well, we talked to each other and read books.....'

And they laugh!!

Happy Days!
We spent our days happily beating the crap out of each other :hihi:

Football, soccer, baseball, it didn't matter. Everything degenerated into a brawl.

For some peculiar reason, our parents did not want us in the house when we were in grade school. If it wasn't raining then to a man we were thrown out.

my father listened to an AM transistor radio as he ate breakfast before work, we used the same radio to miraculously pull in CKLW outta Windsor while doing the nightly kitchen chores.
now i stream 'iheart' up to a wireless bose speaker into the kitchen listening to either local news or wwoz.
thanks for the memory lane stroll, joe.
Oh my god, I used to listen to CKLW here in Maryland. I'd listen to the play by play of the hockey games. When the weather was right, I'd see how far the AM/FM signals would "skip"

I remember growing up in Baltimore listening to WCAO--AM Gold. I'd listen to the Orioles on WFBR and fall asleep as Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally, and Pat Dobson blew 'em away again. You'll never see 4 20-game winners on a starting rotation again. :)

Now it's Pandora, itunes, Amazon Prime, and at last count 10 cell phones, computers, and tablets for our family of 4

The moral of this story is you will grow old and die alone, and at some point inbetween you will be reduced to eating cat food and wearing diapers.
Nope, I'm going out in a blaze of glory. Top fuel dragsters, and the end will be swift and sure :)

We wax nostalgic for these things, but is anyone going to turn in their cell phones for transistor radios?
Well, we're back to vinyl records. As soon as I can clear some space Imma haul out my 200+ albums and my Technics SLQ3 turntable :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom