My how things have changed? (1 Viewer)

Well, we're back to vinyl records. As soon as I can clear some space Imma haul out my 200+ albums and my Technics SLQ3 turntable :)

let's see how long it lasts when you have to get up every 18 minutes to flip the album or put a new one on
whenever i move it still haul crates and bins of LPs (and book) around like an idiot :jpshakehead:
is it because i value the more cumbersome experience of utilizing outdated tech or am i trying to swim upstream as the river of time pushes me out to the sea?

(wow did that get oddly poetic, quick)

The moral of this story is you will grow old and die alone, and at some point inbetween you will be reduced to eating cat food and wearing diapers.

Jokes on you because if that's my inevitable fate then I've got nowhere to go but up!

Did you ever tape the transistor radio to the frame of your bicycle?

yea.. Vinyl records... making a comeback. ;)

I tell ya... better invest in an old fashioned set of Encyclopedias. Cause when the Zombie Apocalypse hits or WWIII happens and we have no intrawebs... Your gonna need to know some stuff... Like Vinegar, how the heck do you make vinegar?

when my Granny was young.. now think about this... They didn't have TV... The only entertainment you got was from Radio, or going somewhere that had live music or a moving picture show. I know there used to be a movie theatre way out in the country on hwy 319...

But my whole point to this thread is that it used to be so important to have all that Fancy stereo equipment, and now it that I'm older it the simpler things that are becoming more important... I would rather just reach over and turn on a small radio next to me and listen to it quietly, than turn on all this fancy stuff and blair the whole house with 1,000 watts of power....

8qW00_s-200x150.gif

Last edited:
When I was growing up, going out to eat fast food (McDonalds etc) was used as a reward for good grades. We also ate at home together at the dinner table

Thank you Joe for restoring my sanity....I keep telling my kids I grew up happily in a world where we had 3 TV channels, a black and white TV, no internet, and the nearest cinema had one screen and was 32 miles away. There was no netflix, no video games, no mobile phones, no PCs and no social media.

They look at me wild-eyed and say: 'what on earth did you do with yourself all day?'

I say proudly, 'well, we talked to each other and read books.....'

And they laugh!!

Happy Days!

And this was all you saw on those 3 TV channels after midnight or so until an agriculture show would come on at 5 AM.

indianhead640x480.gif

let's see how long it lasts when you have to get up every 18 minutes to flip the album or put a new one on
whenever i move it still haul crates and bins of LPs (and book) around like an idiot :jpshakehead:
is it because i value the more cumbersome experience of utilizing outdated tech or am i trying to swim upstream as the river of time pushes me out to the sea?

(wow did that get oddly poetic, quick)

To me it's simply that vinyl sounds better, and the ritual of cleaning an album and playing that album really loud purifies the soul :)

When my wife and children are visiting in-laws over the summer and I'm just chillin' with a cold beer I'll flip the album every time I fetch me another cold one :beerchug:

I remember growing up in Baltimore listening to WCAO--AM Gold. I'd listen to the Orioles on WFBR and fall asleep as Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally, and Pat Dobson blew 'em away again. You'll never see 4 20-game winners on a starting rotation again. :)

That's what I am talking about.

When I was growing up, going out to eat fast food (McDonalds etc) was used as a reward for good grades. We also ate at home together at the dinner table

That's good. I remember when we went to town once a week. Usually on Saturdays. To get groceries, seed and etc for the week.

And I sure did love that Gubment Cheez... It was yummy.... and being a young kid, I remember the taste of my first Dr. Pepper.

1930s_Radio_Listeners.jpg

http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/archives/collections/utterances_audio/afdr278.mp3

I try to avoid romanticizing the past too much. I remember needing to tune up my Camaro at least twice a year, and getting 20,000 miles out of the tires except the rear tires which rarely got beyond 10,000 :hihi:

Around here the choice in over-the-air radio stations was poor, and there were always too damn many commercials.

All in all though it was a good life, and I hope my children think as well of their youth.

Ours just had one button...

Attachments

• 1b823a948610c564b76f985a50e15c3b.jpg
    1b823a948610c564b76f985a50e15c3b.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 6
When I lived in the city, I had everything tech-wise. I had 62", 7.1, bass-shakers, cableTV, hardwired internet. Now that I live in the country, I have the most basic items like a blu-ray player, 30" tv, and radio/cd player. All my tech crap is still in boxes in the attic. Maybe it is my age, or I am just too busy living in the country. Sometimes I miss it, but not enough to actually dig it all out and set it up. It has been about four years, so what was cutting edge back then is ancient now. Funny thing is, I wired my room for 7.1, but don't really care about setting it all up. Feeding the cows, patching the fence, or gardening seem to take priority. I never really planned for all this when I moved to the country, but when I finally had some land, it just kind of happened.

when my Granny was young.. now think about this... They didn't have TV... The only entertainment you got was from Radio, or going somewhere that had live music or a moving picture show. I know there used to be a movie theatre way out in the country on hwy 319...

I'm actually a big fan of old time radio shows like Suspense, X Minus One, Johnny Dollar and Superman

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom