My how things have changed? (2 Viewers)

When I lived in the city, I had everything tech-wise. I had 62", 7.1, bass-shakers, cableTV, hardwired internet. Now that I live in the country, I have the most basic items like a blu-ray player, 30" tv, and radio/cd player. All my tech crap is still in boxes in the attic. Maybe it is my age, or I am just too busy living in the country. Sometimes I miss it, but not enough to actually dig it all out and set it up. It has been about four years, so what was cutting edge back then is ancient now. Funny thing is, I wired my room for 7.1, but don't really care about setting it all up. Feeding the cows, patching the fence, or gardening seem to take priority. I never really planned for all this when I moved to the country, but when I finally had some land, it just kind of happened.

essentially we are social beings looking for engagement - in our teens and 20s that looks mostly like big energy EXCITEMENT usually followed by subsequent downtime
as we age those big swings taper off into more of an ebb and flow of connecting and disconnecting with people/ideas/experiences

if you're finding your engagement by working with your hands in your woods, you don't need all that other stuff - if i had the time, i'd much prefer listening to podcasts/books on tape while doing hours long hikes, but because i'm often sitting at a desk sifting through participation numbers, i feel compelled to bother you people as much as i can

essentially we are social beings looking for engagement - in our teens and 20s that looks mostly like big energy EXCITEMENT usually followed by subsequent downtime
as we age those big swings taper off into more of an ebb and flow of connecting and disconnecting with people/ideas/experiences

if you're finding your engagement by working with your hands in your woods, you don't need all that other stuff - if i had the time, i'd much prefer listening to podcasts/books on tape while doing hours long hikes, but because i'm often sitting at a desk sifting through participation numbers, i feel compelled to bother you people as much as i can
And life goes in circles. 40 years ago I had albums and a '71 Camaro. Now I want to set up my turntable and buy another '71 Camaro :hihi:

This thread was intentionally started with a meaning of: That while being younger I wanted all the best high Tech sound and equipment that I could get, and now that I am older I just want to turn on and listen to a small little radio. And could care less if it was in stereo, dolby, surround etc... or even loud for that matter.. In fact... My music used to be loud... Now I want to turn it down... How crazy is that...

But since the thread evolved as it did....

This is something that I truly miss and wish would come back...

caboose-11_98.jpg

I listen to old time radio classics on SiriusXM all the time. It's the golden age of radio. Shoes like dragnet, Sam spade, suspense etc. my kids thought I was crazy but no a couple of years later they love it in the car and my DVD player never gets used. There is this thing called an imagination that gets used when you hear words with no pictures that begins to work and it's an amazing tool. My kids find it interesting after the show to describe characters and see how different we all imagined the shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this little Gem... Allied Forces had a Mobile Radio Station broadcasting to the troops news and music. Interesting little website. Mainly built out of Captured German and Italian Trucks.

Fifth Army Mobile Radio Station Home

? To keep the soldier informed.
Through.accurate, clear and" up-to-the-minute news
broadcasts we must keep our listeners the best informed" soldiers in the world," The news will not be sugar coated-" and the very latest releases will be secured at all times.

88a.JPG

89zb.JPG

65zc.JPG

Now, while we are on the subject... I watch a lot of old WW2 Movies... and everything is "SWELL"

Gee, That's Swell
How's your girl? She's Swell. I hope his girl is Swell.

Last edited:
To me it's simply that vinyl sounds better, and the ritual of cleaning an album and playing that album really loud purifies the soul :)

When my wife and children are visiting in-laws over the summer and I'm just chillin' with a cold beer I'll flip the album every time I fetch me another cold one :beerchug:

Sounds like you and I drink at the same pace.

My dad calls a 2 beer roux what most people would call a white roux and unless it's early, it takes me 4 to get to mahogany.

As for the music, I listened to "the big interview" with Dan Rather talking to Neil Young a few months back and it inspired me to carefully listen to digital vs album based music and the difference is astounding. It made me very happy that my wife and I have never gotten rid of any of our hundreds of albums.

Well... It wasn't that long ago that The Oldies Radio station played Elvis, Beatles, 4 tops, Bill Haley and the Comets, The Supremes, Tom Jones.. Etc...

Now the Oldies Radio Station plays "My Jamz" :0056:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom