N/S Browns $plash out for Brissett (2 Viewers)

What QB has Payton developed? Grayson? Griffin? Daniels? He made a smart move signing Brees with a nudge from Parcels but Payton has not developed a QB not even one that studied behind Brees and went on to Garner success on another team.

Payton is a HOF Coach that can win but I would not call him a QB developer as much as he is a master at game planning and scheming an offense to the talent available.
You forgot Romo, the 3 you mentioned were all 2nd day picks or worse. Kinda silk purse sow's ear thing. I doubt anyone could make them very good and if you don't think he developed DB then your quite wrong . SP is known more as an offensive genius than a QB developer that's why top level QB's want to play for him. But make no mistake SP with a good 1st rd talent could make them elite

You forgot Romo, the 3 you mentioned were all 2nd day picks or worse. Kinda silk purse sow's ear thing. I doubt anyone could make them very good and if you don't think he developed DB then your quite wrong . SP is known more as an offensive genius than a QB developer that's why top level QB's want to play for him. But make no mistake SP with a good 1st rd talent could make them elite
OP is on a rant. Don’t confuse him with facts or logic.

Slightly revisionist history, there. Mike Detillier was literally giddy about Brees before he came here. He said 'you never, ever see a QB this good hit free agency'.

Separately Payton and Brees were both excellent. Together... well, you know what they achieved on offense together. I think the desire to give credit to one over the other is misplaced.
Pretty sure I didn't revise anything. Yes, it was a big deal when the Saints acquired Brees.....but I stand by what I said: Reggie Bush was supposed to be the major acquisition of that offseason when it happened. And yet, he didn't even turn out to be our best rookie that season.....as that turned out to be Colston. But that still doesn't change the initial expectation.

Something else to keep in mind is that free agency was something that had only existed for like 13 years at that point. So Mike D. wouldn't have been off base for saying that a QB like that never hits the FA market....... because, up until that point in time, nobody had really made a major QB splash via free agency. Which is why at that point in time, Reggie White going to Green Bay was still viewed as the greatest free agent acquisition that any team had made.

I’m hoping that Baker or Jimmy gets cut. Then we can actually judge these different options on an equal playing field
Jimmy could get cut and would save SF a lot of money IIRC. Baker is 18 M unless traded because they took the 5th year option. I don't think the Browns have anything to gain by releasing him other than for the team to move on. They could however sweeten the deal by restructuring his deal and eating some cap. Might get them a 2nd round pick for him instead of a 3rd rounder (for example).

Browns sign Brissett.

Mayfield needs a bassinet.

You can't make this stuff up.

Pretty sure I didn't revise anything. Yes, it was a big deal when the Saints acquired Brees.....but I stand by what I said: Reggie Bush was supposed to be the major acquisition of that offseason when it happened. And yet, he didn't even turn out to be our best rookie that season.....as that turned out to be Colston. But that still doesn't change the initial expectation.

Something else to keep in mind is that free agency was something that had only existed for like 13 years at that point. So Mike D. wouldn't have been off base for saying that a QB like that never hits the FA market....... because, up until that point in time, nobody had really made a major QB splash via free agency. Which is why at that point in time, Reggie White going to Green Bay was still viewed as the greatest free agent acquisition that any team had made.
I'm not sure I see how Reggie Bush being drafted affects the fact that Brees was the best free agent QB ever to hit the market, but either way, Brees was really good at what he did, Payton was really good at what he did. Together they were exceptional.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I see how Reggie Bush bring drafted affects the fact that Brees was the best free agent QB ever to hit the market, but either way, Brees was really good at what he did, Payton was really good at what he did. Together they were exceptional.

Being the "best free agent QB ever to hit the market" does not mean he was elite at that point in his career. That just means the majority of QBs who had hit free agency from the early 90s until 2006 had been rather pedestrian.

Brees exceeded expectations. He went from slightly above-average to elite. For someone to say otherwise would, in fact, be "revising history".

Being the "best free agent QB ever to hit the market" does not mean he was elite at that point in his career. That just means the majority of QBs who had hit free agency from the early 90s until 2006 had been rather pedestrian.

Brees exceeded expectations. He went from slightly above-average to elite. For someone to say otherwise would, in fact, be "revising history".
I can see you're set in your opinion, no matter if we disagree. Have a 'slightly above average' day.

I can see you're set in your opinion, no matter if we disagree. Have a 'slightly above average' day.

Not sure why you're being so weirdly passive-aggressive about this..........Brees signing was a big deal, but it's absolute revisionist history (which is ironic, given your initial statement about my post) to act as if people were expecting what he ended up doing. The Saints were still expected to go like 6-10 that season (and that was probably one of the more generous predictions at the time).

He exceeded expectations, with the help of Payton (to your point, together they meshed well). There's nothing wrong with that.....in fact, it's pretty awesome.

Not sure why you're being so weirdly passive-aggressive about this..........Brees signing was a big deal, but it's absolute revisionist history (which is ironic, given your initial statement about my post) to act as if people were expecting what he ended up doing. The Saints were still expected to go like 6-10 that season (and that was probably one of the more generous predictions at the time).

He exceeded expectations, with the help of Payton (to your point, together they meshed well). There's nothing wrong with that.....in fact, it's pretty awesome.
I agree that the point about meshing is one we are in tune on. But we don't agree on the outlook there was on Brees at the time, or on the strength of the prospect he was before arriving. But that's ok.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom