N/S Curious QB Question (draft related) (1 Viewer)

Saint-Ragnar

"Official" Vikings Fan/GM
Reaction score
I know of a team that happens to play in the NFC North that coincidentally I am a fan of, that needs to draft a Quarterback, and I was wondering what to look for when watching college games this weekend so I can tell if a particular quarterback is a system quarterback like (for example) a Colt Brennan or legit pro prospect (for example) like a Phillip Rivers (turned out to be)?

Well unfortunately you can't scout it at home, but for a position like quarterback, the personal stuff and interview are really key. And different teams focus on different things. For example, one NFC North team's questionnaire might look like this:

1. If you have ever previously played for a professional sports team, have you ever retired? How many times?

2. Imagine for a moment you are operating the 2-minute offense with a chance to come back and win the game. Your team is wearing purple shirts, and the other team is wearing black shirts. Do you throw the ball:

A - to a guy in a purple shirt
B - to a guy in a black shirt
C - Aw heck, just throw it out there and hope something good happens.

3. List contact information for any party (of either sex) to whom you have sent photographs of your genitalia.
(Attach additional sheets if necessary)

4. Please specify what day it is that you'll be available to report to training camp:

Thank you for your interest in the Minnesota Vikings.

Well unfortunately you can't scout it at home, but for a position like quarterback, the personal stuff and interview are really key. And different teams focus on different things. For example, one NFC North team's questionnaire might look like this:

1. If you have ever previously played for a professional sports team, have you ever retired? How many times?

2. Imagine for a moment you are operating the 2-minute offense with a chance to come back and win the game. Your team is wearing purple shirts, and the other team is wearing black shirts. Do you throw the ball:

A - to a guy in a purple shirt
B - to a guy in a black shirt
C - Aw heck, just throw it out there and hope something good happens.

3. List contact information for any party (of either sex) to whom you have sent photographs of your genitalia.
(Attach additional sheets if necessary)

4. Please specify what day it is that you'll be available to report to training camp:

Thank you for your interest in the Minnesota Vikings.

Two Responses:
First One: Hilarious!
Second One: I was talking about college prospects, but I do get the humor of your answers.

I think the ability to breakdown game film and understand a defense is right up there with arm strength and accuracy as far as drafting a quarterback is concerned. A QB could have the best arm in the world, but if he can't read a defense and stares down his receivers all the time, that arm will basically be rendered useless.

The Vikings may not get the chance to take a good QB in the first round, depending on where they draft. Stanford QB Luck is a top 5 selection. Jake Locker(who could be viewed as a hometown guy) has fallen down the draft boards due to his poor play. You just never know what QB you are going to get. If you take a QB in the first round, you could wind up with a Ryan Leaf, or a Peyton Manning. Or you might find a Tom Brady later on. In an offense like the Vikings, I would take a smart QB over one that has a cannon with no knowledge.

I think the ability to breakdown game film and understand a defense is right up there with arm strength and accuracy as far as drafting a quarterback is concerned. A QB could have the best arm in the world, but if he can't read a defense and stares down his receivers all the time, that arm will basically be rendered useless.

The Vikings may not get the chance to take a good QB in the first round, depending on where they draft. Stanford QB Luck is a top 5 selection. Jake Locker(who could be viewed as a hometown guy) has fallen down the draft boards due to his poor play. You just never know what QB you are going to get. If you take a QB in the first round, you could wind up with a Ryan Leaf, or a Peyton Manning. Or you might find a Tom Brady later on. In an offense like the Vikings, I would take a smart QB over one that has a cannon with no knowledge.

They could take their 1st, bundle it with their 3r....nvm.

Basically draft:

Jake Locker, Ryan Mallet, or Andrew Luck

Ryan Mallet may be the man because he's huge

Mallet is a huge guy, but does he have the knowledge to break down a defense. Going up against great SEC opponents, he hasn't flourished like everyone thought he would before the season started. He has one of the best WR's in the SEC in Childs, but just doesn't seem as comfortable anymore.

As far as the best prospect out of the QB's, Luck is the best option, but like I said, he will be gone in the top 5. I think it would be smart of the Vikings that if Luck is not there when they are up to draft, that they try and trade down to gain more picks. I don't think anyone will pull the trigger on Mallet in the first round and the Vikings could possibly take him in the second round, while filling other needs as well. Just some food for thought

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom