N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could they do something like RedHawks? Seems fitting since Baltimore, Philly, Virginia Tech and so many other teams in that area have bird names.

Wouldn't RedTails be there same? Just one of those double name type things where they are WWII pilots and/or Hawks?

Growing up in Mississippi I'd always see Red tailed Hawks circling prey. Beautiful animals

Got this off of a redskins board

imageproxy.php
Change the plane to the bubble-canopy version of the P-51 and I'm sold!

I think they ought to be the Washington Presidents that way they can’t really offend anyone cause you could pick your favorite president to be your mascot. But they could have a different mascot for every game. It probably wouldn’t fly right now since this president is so divisive

And accomplish what, exactly? It's a university in Acadiana where people chose a mascot that commemorates their own identity and regional culture.

So because a SID made the decision to change the nickname to Ragin Cajuns 60 years ago, that means all Cajuns today are cool with that being a college nickname? They already had to retire the Cajun Man mascot because it was called racist.

The first Ragin’ Cajun mascot was Cajun Man:

cajun man

This was protested by African American activists who resented the association of the multi-racial and -ethnic University with a white ethnicity. From another perspective, the mascot was questioned on the grounds that “Cajun” had once been a nasty racial slur.

So because a SID made the decision to change the nickname to Ragin Cajuns 60 years ago, that means all Cajuns today are cool with that being a college nickname? They already had to retire the Cajun Man mascot because it was called racist.

I don't know what the previous mascot looked like but let's go back to it.

636335519443985954-0914ULvNICHOLLSgame30.JPG

I'm saying that it's a different set of circumstances than those surrounding the use of Redskin by Washington. Sure, if enough people from Acadiana decide the use of the name is offensive, maybe it will be changed. Is there any real reason to believe that any significant regional opposition exists to the use of Cajuns as the mascot?

I'm saying that it's a different set of circumstances than those surrounding the use of Redskin by Washington. Sure, if enough people from Acadiana decide the use of the name is offensive, maybe it will be changed. Is there any real reason to believe that any significant regional opposition exists to the use of Cajuns as the mascot?
Would Adam Sandler be OK if the Waterboy was reversed?

Wouldn't RedTails be there same? Just one of those double name type things where they are WWII pilots and/or Hawks?

Growing up in Mississippi I'd always see Red tailed Hawks circling prey. Beautiful animals
Heck, maybe red tails could be considered sexist. Slippery slope.

The ramp is slippery :hihi:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom