N/S Redskins likely to change name..What would be a good one? (Update: Redskins to announce name change) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A racial slur is not "celebrating" them. Maybe if it was Warriors or Chiefs you might be able to make that argument (probably very poorly) but it being a straight up slur negates this "honoring and celebrating" them nonsense.

If they want to go with something inspired by Native Americans they should go with Wampus Cats or Wendigos.

But if I owned the team, I’d probably go with Werewolves.

Last edited:
A racial slur is not "celebrating" them. Maybe if it was Warriors or Chiefs you might be able to make that argument (probably very poorly) but it being a straight up slur negates this "honoring and celebrating" them nonsense.
I thought about this and then wondered what about the Braves?

If it's decided that's offensive, then I'm totally done with all of this.

On subject, why can't they go the Florida St route and just name them after an actual native american nation of that area? Shawnee? Algonquins? Powhatan?

Algonquin refers to a language group.

Co-opting the identity, culture, or likeness of America's indigenous people, whose ancestors were victims of genocide and generations of marginalizing U.S. policy, might seem like an honor to some people, but is it really, when it's done by exploitative enterprises that weren't established by those indigenous people, nor originated in a way as to serve the interests of those people?

Even by conservative estimates, the vast majority of the Amerindian population died from diseases. However, US policy certainly victimized them. That being said, there is no better way to honor them than to adopted their name for locations, buildings, or sports teams. If not, then consider the ridiculousness of renaming streets and cities of any references as exploitive.

I personally find the image of the Native on the helmet to look quite noble and dignified which is ironically better than the Cleveland Indians earlier images used despite the use of an inoffensive name.

Even by conservative estimates, the vast majority of the Amerindian population died from diseases. However, US policy certainly victimized them. That being said, there is no better way to honor them than to adopted their name for locations, buildings, or sports teams. If not, then consider the ridiculousness of renaming streets and cities of any references as exploitive.

Huge difference between naming a street Barrack Obama Drive and naming a street President Blackskin Drive.

Furthermore, how we honor victimized groups is more complicated than mere naming choices and less important than actually righting injustices, but that’s a deeper discussion than is appropriate for the main board.

I thought about this and then wondered what about the Braves?

If it's decided that's offensive, then I'm totally done with all of this.

I think Braves, Chiefs and Seminoles are miles better than the Washington nickname and Cleveland's Chief Wahoo and can treat Native Americans with respect and honor them like some argue.

However the tomahawk chop has got to go if you want to claim to be doing either of those.

I think Braves, Chiefs and Seminoles are miles better than the Washington nickname and Cleveland's Chief Wahoo and can treat Native Americans with respect and honor them like some argue.

However the tomahawk chop has got to go if you want to claim to be doing either of those.
I think with the Chiefs you can change the logo and drop the Native American Imagery and it’ll just be a generic term for leader.

I’m totally ok with the Washington Pilgrims. After all the Patriots logo isn’t racist, so Washington Colonials would work too. Change colors to red , white and blue and put George Washington’s head on the helmet. The jersey sales alone would sky rocket.

Huge difference between naming a street Barrack Obama Drive and naming a street President Blackskin Drive.

Furthermore, how we honor victimized groups is more complicated than mere naming choices and less important than actually righting injustices, but that’s a deeper discussion than is appropriate for the main board.

Are you purposely conflating my point or not?
I think I was quite clear I was not referring to the "Redskin" name, but referring to non-offensive options, but yet that's how you responded. If you are going to be disingenuous, then what is the point of responding at all. Please do not waste my time again with more nonsense. You do not appear to be a stupid person.

--------------------------

On another note, I read that one of the choice names as Red Tails. It stated this honors the Tuskegee Airmen, but Red tails only refer to the portion that was in the fighter group. It would be cool for them to have P-51s do flyovers prior to games.

----

I don't think anything will be wrong with RedTails. It salutes some of the best airmen in the WWII era.

I guess I'll ask because I think it's important -- if folks think there's no real issue with 'Redskins', do you also see no issue with calling the team 'Blackskins'?

Anyone could interpret that as 'celebrating them' too...
I'd like to see them called The Redtails also, and how cool would that logo be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom