Nation's #1 Super Fan passes away (1 Viewer)

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Almost no one here will have ever heard of him, but my uncle, a special guy, passed away this past week at age 91.

ESPN named Dick Coffee the country's #1 Super Fan in 2010, having attended every Alabama football game -- home, road and bowl games -- since 1946. He added all of the games in 2011 and 2012 for a total of 781 straight games, with 51 bowl games, including this year's national championship win over Notre Dame.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview10/...id=5461666

Here is his excerpt from the ESPN link:

1. Dick Coffee (Alabama) As has been detailed in this countdown, Dick Coffee certainly isn't the only person following the Crimson Tide to each away game in the fall. He is, however, the only person who's been doing it for every single game since 1946.

That's right -- Coffee now has attended a whopping 741 straight Tide games after their victory in Pasadena for another national championship. Now 88 and still wearing a coat and tie to each game, Coffee's streak started when he was a freshman at Alabama after he served in the war. To put that in perspective, another freshman in 1946 was a Brown football player named Joe Paterno.

Coffee got a major scare for the 1964 Sugar Bowl when he couldn't reach the game due to snow. With time running out, Coffee asked the operators of a freight train if they would add an extra car on the back to transport him and his fellow Tide fans down there. He made it in time to witness Alabama's victory over Ole Miss. A stroke in 1994 didn't stop Coffee's streak, either.

Pellerin's mark of 797 is just 56 games away, which would put Coffee surpassing the USC super fan sometime in the 2014 season.

While others may see different games as the nation's best rivalry game, there are many who consider it to be Alabama-Auburn. Uncle Dick has been credited with being instrumental in getting the Iron Bowl renewed in 1947 after 40 years of not playing their in-state rival.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index...._dick.html

I realize this might not be of interest to most here, but I felt like recognizing the loss of a special person who loved his university and college football.

ncaa_e_dick_coffee_b1_300.jpg

Almost no one here will have ever heard of him, but my uncle, a special guy, passed away this past week at age 91.

ESPN named Dick Coffee the country's #1 Super Fan in 2010, having attended every Alabama football game -- home, road and bowl games -- since 1946. He added all of the games in 2011 and 2012 for a total of 781 straight games, with 51 bowl games, including this year's national championship win over Notre Dame.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview10/...id=5461666

Here is his excerpt from the ESPN link:

While others may see different games as the nation's best rivalry game, there are many who consider it to be Alabama-Auburn. Uncle Dick has been credited with being instrumental in getting the Iron Bowl renewed in 1947 after 40 years of not playing their in-state rival.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index...._dick.html

I realize this might not be of interest to most here, but I felt like recognizing the loss of a special person who loved his university and college football.

ncaa_e_dick_coffee_b1_300.jpg

Sorry for yours and the Tide's loss, Richard. It's cool that he did that.

He was something else. Served in Patton's 3rd Army in World War II and got a Purple Heart just before the Battle of the Bulge. He and my Aunt Nora weren't just home gardeners, they cultivated award-winning roses.

But back to sports -- When I was a kid, my dad told me that Uncle Dick used to carry a French Horn to games while he was a student and started the Charge cheer that others had picked up over the years. I had always been skeptical that my uncle was the originator, but many years later, someone else brought it up not knowing that Dick was my uncle.

Then this week, I read this tidbit in his obituary:
The New York Times acknowledged that he was the creator of the "Charge" cheer which has been heard at athletic events throughout the country for many years.

:9:
Oh, and thanks for the condolences guys. But I must admit that, as an adult, I rarely saw or spoke with him. You know how it is; too busy with getting by to really live and enjoy those around me. I regret not spending more time with him and his family.

RIP, bro

The obits on the greatest generation blow me away every time. Service to country, service to community, and here an unparalleled love of his team and a game he witnessed almost all of the evolution of.

It always amazed me how Bear Bryant passed away just days after he retired.

My condolences to your family. Seems like he lived a great life and one we'd all like to experience from a fan's perspective. His only flaw was the crowd he cheered with. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom