New Orleans Pelicans Draft Yves Missi (2 Viewers)

I think it's quite possible that the NBA scouts know something we don't. Big men that have the skillet he is supposed to have don't grow on trees...something has caused him to drop in what is considered a weak draft
Read that there could be medical concern about his hip, but that may be speculation.

Read that there could be medical concern about his hip, but that may be speculation.
I think medical concerns and my mind shoots to DeJuan Blair. He had medical concerns, but he put in a solid 4 years for the Spurs before his knees gave out.

We don’t need a long term option, we should be satisfied with a bridge until we find that long term option.

I think medical concerns and my mind shoots to DeJuan Blair. He had medical concerns, but he put in a solid 4 years for the Spurs before his knees gave out.

We don’t need a long term option, we should be satisfied with a bridge until we find that long term option.
I am just speculating on why he has fallen. I would still take him.

It's not complicated why Filip has fallen. Very unathletic with a below average agility time. Not a rim protector. Below average finishing at the rim. So that lack of athleticism translates to the floor. He's is 6'11" with a 6'10.5" wingspan on top of the lack of athleticism. Ouch.

Fans value shooting shooting shooting while the NBA still values rim protection, rebounding, and defense. Missi will be a project that spends time in the g-league no doubt. But he's that unsexy offensive guard while Filip is that route running TE. A slow one.

I'd take him in the 2nd.

It's not complicated why Filip has fallen. Very unathletic with a below average agility time. Not a rim protector. Below average finishing at the rim. So that lack of athleticism translates to the floor. He's is 6'11" with a 6'10.5" wingspan on top of the lack of athleticism. Ouch.

Fans value shooting shooting shooting while the NBA still values rim protection, rebounding, and defense. Missi will be a project that spends time in the g-league no doubt. But he's that unsexy offensive guard while Filip is that route running TE. A slow one.

I'd take him in the 2nd.

Guess who this is....??? Hint: It reads just like Kyle Filipowski... This guy was also a 2nd rounder.... but it's not him.

Height/Weight: 6'11", 253 lbs
Projected NBA Position: Power Forward/Center

Weaknesses revolve around his bottom-tier athleticism. While he moves his feet pretty well from point A to point B, he lacks the quickness and vertical agility that the rest of the league owns.

These deficiencies will be most glaring on the defensive side, where he'll struggle to keep up with NBA-caliber speed. Whether he's guarding power forwards or centers, he'll have trouble staying in front of them or consistently protecting the rim. He also won't be as effective on the boards.

The slow-footed tendencies will also hurt his chances to create offense. Even on closeout drives, his slashing will get corralled pretty easily by help defenders, and he won't be able to elevate over upper-echelon defenders.

In addition, he should speed up his shooting delivery in order to maximize his spot-up chances.

Long-Term Projection

As previously mentioned, unathletic players can survive in the NBA and even earn prominent roles.

If he can deliver accurate shooting and make the right plays when the ball is in his hands, he could be a poor-man's Diaw and a long-range threat like Antic. He would probably be the fourth or fifth scoring option when he's in the game, but all that matters is whether he plays efficiently.

Unfortunately, his defense will likely prevent him from ever playing 30-plus minutes or starting. However, there's no shame in being a respectable reserve on a winning team in the future.

EDIT - Nevermind Utah drafted him today at 32... SIGH

Guess who this is....??? Hint: It reads just like Kyle Filipowski... This guy was also a 2nd rounder.... but it's not him.

Height/Weight: 6'11", 253 lbs
Projected NBA Position: Power Forward/Center

Weaknesses revolve around his bottom-tier athleticism. While he moves his feet pretty well from point A to point B, he lacks the quickness and vertical agility that the rest of the league owns.

These deficiencies will be most glaring on the defensive side, where he'll struggle to keep up with NBA-caliber speed. Whether he's guarding power forwards or centers, he'll have trouble staying in front of them or consistently protecting the rim. He also won't be as effective on the boards.

The slow-footed tendencies will also hurt his chances to create offense. Even on closeout drives, his slashing will get corralled pretty easily by help defenders, and he won't be able to elevate over upper-echelon defenders.

In addition, he should speed up his shooting delivery in order to maximize his spot-up chances.

Long-Term Projection

As previously mentioned, unathletic players can survive in the NBA and even earn prominent roles.

If he can deliver accurate shooting and make the right plays when the ball is in his hands, he could be a poor-man's Diaw and a long-range threat like Antic. He would probably be the fourth or fifth scoring option when he's in the game, but all that matters is whether he plays efficiently.

Unfortunately, his defense will likely prevent him from ever playing 30-plus minutes or starting. However, there's no shame in being a respectable reserve on a winning team in the future.

EDIT - Nevermind Utah drafted him today at 32... SIGH

If that's Jokic, he has a 7'4" wingspan and 9'3" standing reach. He also has lateral quickness and very good touch around the rim. So you're saying Filipowski, whom has none of those things, is comparable to Nikola Jokic???

If that's Jokic, he has a 7'4" wingspan and 9'3" standing reach. He also has lateral quickness and very good touch around the rim. So you're saying Filipowski, whom has none of those things, is comparable to Nikola Jokic???

I am saying they had very similar negatives coming out that landed them in round 2... I know 4 inches and a little quickness is a deal breaker for some... to each their own. All jokes aside... I am not saying he's joker... not by any means... but I do think his pre-draft is comparable... especially the ridiculous negatives and long term outlook. Sometimes, guys can just play... and 4 inches and less than ideal agility don't mean much when you are 7' 240 lbs and can shoot the rock.

I think it's quite possible that the NBA scouts know something we don't. Big men that have the skill set he is supposed to have don't grow on trees...something has caused him to drop in what is considered a weak draft

So, apparently there is some weird stuff going on with him:

Since for some reason a thread about our pick Yves Missi turned into a comparison of Nikola Jokic with Kyle freaking Filipowski...

That's a very interesting graph. In every category except rebounds, prospect Missi is better than prospect Allen was.

Graham said, [2;36 into the video I posted] "he picks things up really, really quickly and so with his intelligence and just raw natural ability ... we're happy that he fell to 21".

Griff said, [3:01 on the same video] "the speed at which he picks things up are incredible and when you look at an athlete with his size and the way he tested for us are very rare ... whats exciting about Yves is we feel like the likelihood that he reaches his ceiling is better than alot of those people [drafted on tools] because of what he's shown already for his propensity to get better quickly".

He goes on to talk about how impressed they were with his workout and more.

Bottom line being, if the Pels assessment of Yves is accutate, this guy may have a higher ceiling higher than Allen's. Of course, that all has to be proven.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom