Next years job is not to find the next coach . It’s to tear down and purge . (1 Viewer)

I’m the biggest anti Dennis Allen fan on the board

But the chain of events for the next 365 is not finding his replacement .

There is not a single candidate with options that would ever come here .

All this Ben Johnson talk is laughable .
There is no chance that the saints would get someone like that under these conditions .

The next 365 days the saints need to purge the cap . Trade anything of value that will not help us win 3 years from now .

Eat up as much dead cap space the next 365 days as possible .

As much I hate Allen . He needs to stay one more year

Not because he’s good and not because I like him . But because if they do this purge they are going to suck no matter who is the HC.

Might as well let DA be that guy who’s the coach on a 2-15 type season .

Then after next season once your cap situation is much better and you have a top 3 draft pick then you can get a coach worth a damn for 2025.

If they let DA go after this year they will be competing with the panthers for whoever is at the bottom of the barrel as far as coaching hires go .

If Loomis does not do this and he keeps kicking the can down the road and putting bandaids on everything then he needs to go to
Its not that I agree or disagree with you because I absolutely hear you.....but the Saints just aren't going to tear down and purge. They just aren't. They've said it numerous times that they don't believe in it. There is to much risk of going 20 to 30 years of being cellar dwellers. They want to avoid that. But that's in reference to keeping the core/good players. Not coaching staff. They thought continuity was the way to go and perhaps with a better option as HC than Dennis Allen and a much better option for OC...they could have pulled that off. They do know at some point, they will have to stop kicking the can down the road and get to where they have a surplus again but a tear down and rebuild they won't do. Not right now anyway.

I know the roster is slightly different now, but I have a hard time believing that this team that was coached to 9-8 with MASSIVE injuries and starting 4 different QBs, nearly making the playoffs in 2021 is suddenly just a bad roster. In fact, I actually believe this roster is BETTER than that roster. The problem is coaching.

The team does need to shed some bad contracts, but we all know that is going to take time. Effort should be made to get back to a place of flexibility, but not a complete gut. I don't want to ship out guys like AK, Latt, Adebo, Olave, Taylor, and Taysom just because we're already not going to be good. You need those kind of guys to show the new young guys what good even looks like in the NFL. I'm definitely not looking for a roster that looks like the one in 2005.

A new coach that is worth having can get more out of what we have while getting through some of those tough cap years. Finding young players on small contracts that can be built into a competitive unit is possible. I'm not talking championship, just competitive. This team is barely competitive at all despite the 5-6 record and weak schedule with these coaches. I have far more patience for the rebuilding of the roster than the ineptitude of the coaches.

The team has a few pieces on both sides of the ball that would start on other teams but not all that many -

QB - Carr is Andy Dalton with a diva attitude
RB - AK41 would start on most other NFL teams
WR - Olave is in the middle of a sophomore slump, CGM is done, Shaheed has been solid, the rest are career backups
TE - this team has TEs?
OL - McCoy might start on most other NFL teams, Ramcyzk is done, the rest are a collection of journeyman, busts, and
backups
DT - Bresee looks to have bright future, Sheperd and Saunders have disappeared, the rest…..who knows?
DE - Jordan is a team legend but his time is coming to an end, Granderson is solid and would start on most other NFL teams, the rest journeyman, busts and marginal backups
LB - Davis his age is showing he might have one more season left, Werner is Scott Shanle 2.0 not great, not terrible, the rest are almost not worth mentioning
CB - Lattimore and Adebo are solid, Taylor is ok, the rest are journeyman
S - Mathieu’s age is showing, Maye has made some major mistakes, Howden may have a future, the rest are STers or journeyman
K/P - Grupe and Hedley are both below average

So this team is hardly loaded with talent. They are old and poorly coached.

And for those saying a complete rebuild isn’t possible - it is but would be something like the NFL has never seen. The team would be virtually unwatchable for at least two years and would have the top pick in the draft for possibly both those season. Loomis’ ego will never let him admit that Allen, PC Jr, and Carr were colossal mistakes so a ground up rebuild won’t happen. Admitting he screwed the team by blowing it all up would pop his inflated ego.
I don't think the roster is as terrible as you're making it look. Ramczyk isn't that old and we've seen our O-Line play much better when they had better coaching. My opinion, it's a mix of guys getting older and the coaching staff's inability to maximize what certain players do well and avoiding, as much as possible, the things they don't do well.

The team has a few pieces on both sides of the ball that would start on other teams but not all that many -

QB - Carr is Andy Dalton with a diva attitude
RB - AK41 would start on most other NFL teams
WR - Olave is in the middle of a sophomore slump, CGM is done, Shaheed has been solid, the rest are career backups
TE - this team has TEs?
OL - McCoy might start on most other NFL teams, Ramcyzk is done, the rest are a collection of journeyman, busts, and
backups
DT - Bresee looks to have bright future, Sheperd and Saunders have disappeared, the rest…..who knows?
DE - Jordan is a team legend but his time is coming to an end, Granderson is solid and would start on most other NFL teams, the rest journeyman, busts and marginal backups
LB - Davis his age is showing he might have one more season left, Werner is Scott Shanle 2.0 not great, not terrible, the rest are almost not worth mentioning
CB - Lattimore and Adebo are solid, Taylor is ok, the rest are journeyman
S - Mathieu’s age is showing, Maye has made some major mistakes, Howden may have a future, the rest are STers or journeyman
K/P - Grupe and Hedley are both below average

So this team is hardly loaded with talent. They are old and poorly coached.

And for those saying a complete rebuild isn’t possible - it is but would be something like the NFL has never seen. The team would be virtually unwatchable for at least two years and would have the top pick in the draft for possibly both those season. Loomis’ ego will never let him admit that Allen, PC Jr, and Carr were colossal mistakes so a ground up rebuild won’t happen. Admitting he screwed the team by blowing it all up would pop his inflated ego.
Agreed. 11 of 22 starters are ok/good. Too bad there’s nobody of them at QB, just 1 on the OL, 2 on DL

I’m taking a revenge tour commenting on threads that involve the cap. It’s a dumb strategy on the long term, it was crystal clear already, but up until this summer people were laughing about my/our cap concerns.

Well my order of importance would be

Replace PC
Draft a QB
Draft and sign Linemen
Replace every player currently on a guaranteed contract or over 30 ASAP
Replace DA and DC

Once all that happens we will start to look massively better. Maybe getting rid of DA has to happen but it might not be our first move.

There is no chance that the saints would get someone like that under these conditions .

The next 365 days the saints need to purge the cap . Trade anything of value that will not help us win 3 years from now .

Not because he’s good and not because I like him . But because if they do this purge they are going to suck no matter who is the HC.

Then after next season once your cap situation is much better and you have a top 3 draft pick then you can get a coach worth a damn for 2025.

If they let DA go after this year they will be competing with the panthers for whoever is at the bottom of the barrel as far as coaching hires go .

If Loomis does not do this and he keeps kicking the can down the road and putting bandaids on everything then he needs to go to
I disagree, This team has talent , what it does not have is good coaching at ANY position. As far as the cap goes when have we not been able to get a player solely for $ reasons? Unless we did not think he was worth the $.
As far as luring Johnson here or even Shane Waldron, you think cap considerations are gonna make him say no? Far from it, it's the willingness of a GM working with him and getting him what he wants. It's roster and thinking he can coach them up that makes it an attractive spot. Johnson took over a less than mediocre Goff, he was playing worse than DC and turned him around. I don't see Johnson as a pipe dream. Or even Shane Waldron

Have to start with a new coach!
‘tell him you will get his QB in this next draft and we will start rebuilding the roster.
‘trade Olave and our first round pick to Chicago for their pick and get our QB (might have to add more picks but just do it for next years draft not 2025’s draft. Let the better playing QB start the season (so what if Carr rides the bench).
‘move a few offensive linemen around to better positions and bring in a free agent to help. Maybe we go 8-9 next year if we’re lucky but the following year we start a better rebuild. Who knows, in this division we may still be able to win the division.

The job is to find a new head coach. We need to rebuild this team but we’re stuck. we’re stuck with Carr for another year and we’re stuck with all of our aging veterans because they’re contracts are structured so there is no way to purge anyone. So the only answer is to draft a quarterback, so that when we can finally get rid of Derek Carr we will have a quarterback on a rookie deal, and then the job will be slowly rebuild this team through the draft once we can get these aging high-priced veterans off the books But because of the way, we’ve already structured the cap there’s absolutely no way to cut them.
The first person we need to cut is Lions who put us in this terrible situation

There is no way you can sell DA to the fans another year. If the offense 3 and out's on their first drive tomorrow, the boo birds are coming out. I expect many boos to ring out tomorrow.

I’m taking a revenge tour commenting on threads that involve the cap. It’s a dumb strategy on the long term, it was crystal clear already, but up until this summer people were laughing about my/our cap concerns.
People still facepalming this… SMH hard…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom