NFL/NFLPA agree to have players who test positive for COVID-19 go on IR for three weeks (1 Viewer)

Saintsphere

1 day I'll add a second Lombardi to my pic. 1 day.
Reaction score

Yes, the NFL and NFL Players Association already have reached an agreement regarding the procedures for dealing with players who test positive for COVID-19.

Per a league source, the league intends to change the injured reserve rules to create a COVID-19 classification. Players who test positive will be placed on the COVID-19 list for three weeks, creating a roster spot that would then be filled with a player who is negative for the virus.

The players on the COVID-19 list would be paid their normal salaries.

It’s unclear what will happen if a player on the COVID-19 list can’t return after three weeks, at which time he will be eligible to return to practice. He must be returned to the active roster within three weeks after that, or he will revert to IR (absent an injury settlement)

Agreement expected to be finalized tomorrow according to Florio.

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE

Agreement expected to be finalized tomorrow according to Florio.

Dang, some team is going to have to forfeit a game this year when half their roster is on IR.

This is good because it is getting us closer to a paradigm for Football Happening.

This is bad because you just know that the Falcons/Bucs/49ers will be playing teams without all their starters, and then the starters will all be fresh for us.

I hope the NFL goes forward with the 3 week IR it'll create greater roster flexibility and not require someone to be out for 8 weeks with a 5 week injury

Dang, some team is going to have to forfeit a game this year when half their roster is on IR.
I am sure they will manipulate the numbers especially since it will be highly likely the most in shape athletes in the world will be asymptomatic. You know teams like NE won't tell the truth lol.

I am also sure Roger Goodell will be in New Orleans to personally watch every player tested and handle every sample lol.

The article said the roster spots will be freed up while the players are on IR. They'll be allowed to sign replacements, no one will have to forfeit from lack of players.

I wish they'd allow the full 90 players (from before cuts) to still be on payroll, even if on a minimal payroll. Still tethered. At least that way, one has known backups - guys that went through camp, learned the playbook, got the reps in. But this IR solution is a cheaper solution, so it happens.

if this is true it's a good thing.. but there could be a serious competitive advantage for teams with a high number of players who get Covid out of the way in the next few months. I for one SERIOUSLY hope the majority of our players mysteriously come down with it and recover in isolated bubbles without sharing to any high-risk relatives. Let it be so, thank you.

(And yes - I know there is still a lot of uncertainty about how long you're immune, but there's very little doubt immunity should last at least the length of the season).

It still doesn't make sense because you have to quarantine anyone who came in contact with the player as a precaution.

I suppose they'll have same day results for testing or this doesn't work at all if your only way to getting game day results is 4 days afterwards.

Quarantine Brees, Winston and Taysom and CGM. And Cam and Armstead.

If they (plus Payton) stay health for a whole season, look out!

if this is true it's a good thing.. but there could be a serious competitive advantage for teams with a high number of players who get Covid out of the way in the next few months. I for one SERIOUSLY hope the majority of our players mysteriously come down with it and recover in isolated bubbles without sharing to any high-risk relatives. Let it be so, thank you.

(And yes - I know there is still a lot of uncertainty about how long you're immune, but there's very little doubt immunity should last at least the length of the season).
It's not. You can get Covid again as quickly as two-three months

So the teams with depth will survive.. oh wait we have the best depth in the league this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom