NFL No more ambush, new rule forces teams to let the other team know they are doing an onside kick (2 Viewers)

My only problem with this proposal is that if the kickoff team doesn't get that running start, it'll make it much easier for the return team to pick up all of their blocks, leading to an abundance of successful returns.

I guess that's a pro and a con, depending on how you want to look at it, but basically, my fear is that this MAY backfire and make returns a little easier than they're envisioning.

I do like that this makes successful onside kicks possible again though. The game has lost something by making this "difficult but doable" desperation play pretty much impossible to pull off.

My only problem with this proposal is that if the kickoff team doesn't get that running start, it'll make it much easier for the return team to pick up all of their blocks, leading to an abundance of successful returns.

practically same thing

practically same thing

This is my fear. Once the blocks are picked up, which at the pro level should be somewhat easy, you only have that one wave to beat.

About half of your kickoff team is taken out of the play completely merely by where the ball is kicked.

I'll have to study it more.

EDIT: I see that this was the only kick return touchdown of the season, which is very surprising to me.

It's going to add a layer of strategy to the kick offs. Also, NFL kickers should have the ability to place balls in positions and angles that XFL kickers don't. Sure Devin Hester would eat this up. Great, kick it out of bounds or for Touchback(just like they used to do when he played). Devin Hester is useless last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom