NFL No more ambush, new rule forces teams to let the other team know they are doing an onside kick (1 Viewer)

Seems misworded, but with the rest of the proposed rule changes it makes more sense. I think it would just look better if they kicked from the 50, but that aside, these new rules almost force a returnable ball by introducing a "target zone" from the goal line to the 20:

1. If the ball does not cross the 20 in the air, the receiving team gets the ball at the 40.

2. If the ball crosses the goal line in the air, the receiving team gets the ball at the 35.

3. If the ball first hits the ground in the target zone and rolls in the end zone, the receiving team gets the ball at the 20.

Putting players on the same side of the field to start will shorten the distance that players are running and reduce speed at impact as a result.
Seems like a room full of clowns came up with this setup.

smh

(I'm so glad I got to watch the NFL in the 60s and 70s...)

Seems misworded, but with the rest of the proposed rule changes it makes more sense. I think it would just look better if they kicked from the 50, but that aside, these new rules almost force a returnable ball by introducing a "target zone" from the goal line to the 20:

1. If the ball does not cross the 20 in the air, the receiving team gets the ball at the 40.

2. If the ball crosses the goal line in the air, the receiving team gets the ball at the 35.

3. If the ball first hits the ground in the target zone and rolls in the end zone, the receiving team gets the ball at the 20.

Putting players on the same side of the field to start will shorten the distance that players are running and reduce speed at impact as a result.
This is exactly what I gathered from it.

Kickers that can get alot of hangtime will be valuable in kickoff situations.

The onside kick is the ONLY reason we still have kickoffs. The other team can just get the ball on the 25 now, no questions asked, other than the occasional OSK. We could save a lot of time and injuries by just getting rid of the kickoff. Network TV would hate it, but I wouldn’t.

I can't wait for the refs to throw a flag after a successful onside kick and award the ball and 15 yards to the receiving team because the kicking team "declared" an onside kick the wrong way.

It’ll be us, in the midst of an epic NFC Championship Game comeback where we were down 30-0 at half but made some incredible halftime adjustment to suddenly figure out how to attack our opponent as well as stop them, and we cut the deficit to 30-28 with a minute remaining.

:::Ineligible onside kick…on the kicking team…did not use proper sentence structure:::

This is exactly what I gathered from it.

Kickers that can get alot of hangtime will be valuable in kickoff situations.
Hangtime doesn't matter No one but the returners can move when the ball is kicked. The kicker can't go past the 50, no one else can move until the ball is touched or lands in the landing zone from the 20 to the goal line.

This rule change/set up actually makes sure that returns are part of the game, this just removes the full speed hits for the blockers. I hope this stuff works out so that the kick offs actually mean something again. The rules make it so you actually are trying to land the ball inside the 20 to roll into the endzone.

Thread title needs to be edited, cause it is misleading, and instead this thread should be discussing the actually proposal of these changes and how they actually make the kick off exciting again.

They’re trying to make everyone hate kick offs by making them pathetic so they can just get rid of them without anybody caring any more.
No they are actually trying to keep the kick off relevant and eliminate touch backs.

I think this is their way of changing the system back to where you can stack sides for onside kicks; by saying that players are notified of the onside kick prior to engaging in the play.

If it leads to more returns, it's better than what we have now, and this would lead to a lot more returns.

Also, this would be an improvement for on-side kicks because they are going to allow overloads again. Right now, it's basically impossible to recover an onside.

Definitely a big change to the game, but kickoffs are a boring waste of time as they are.

Hangtime doesn't matter No one but the returners can move when the ball is kicked. The kicker can't go past the 50, no one else can move until the ball is touched or lands in the landing zone from the 20 to the goal line.

This rule change/set up actually makes sure that returns are part of the game, this just removes the full speed hits for the blockers. I hope this stuff works out so that the kick offs actually mean something again. The rules make it so you actually are trying to land the ball inside the 20 to roll into the endzone.

Thread title needs to be edited, cause it is misleading, and instead this thread should be discussing the actually proposal of these changes and how they actually make the kick off exciting again.
I'm a bit skeptical, but let's see how it plays out.

If it leads to more returns, it's better than what we have now, and this would lead to a lot more returns.

Also, this would be an improvement for on-side kicks because they are going to allow overloads again. Right now, it's basically impossible to recover an onside.

Definitely a big change to the game, but kickoffs are a boring waste of time as they are.
Yeah, I'll need to see it in action, but if it leads to more returns and more action, I'm all for it. Still a bit skeptical because, well, it's the NFL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom