Not sure how you fix New Orleans [MERGED] (2 Viewers)

Last edited:
I cant even tell if this guy has any legit points or not because he cant stop railing against the evils of - GASP! - marijuana…. I dont do it myself, but you cant tell me it’s any worse than alcohol which is obviously not outlawed.

Also, like so many misguided souls, he cant help but whine about “the smells” on Bourbon St.. i have always wanted to scream from the Heavens, but no one ever seems to get it, that IT’S THE TOURISTS WHO VISIT and cant hold their liquor who then vomit and urinate on the streets, causing said smell.

You can have your moral feelings towards whether or not marijuana should be legal or not, but the stench of it in a tourist city should be looked down on.

Nope
New Orleans is on pace to have 7,000 vehicle break-ins this year
1 in 14 people will be a victim of a property crime this year in Orleans Parish
You’re trying to sugar coat a problem that’s getting worse by the day
now i'm not trying to be a pollyanna - obviously there is crime - and crime rises and falls mostly along labor and housing trends
but there of course can be localized, asymptomatic spasms of crime
last thread were car jackings was discussed someone posted opinion/analysis (can't remember which) indicating that the jackings started as crimes of nuisance/boredom (joyrides) and then became crimes of convenience (easy way to make a few $100)
BUT
i don't want the NEXTDOORing Facebooking of this to follow the same pattern as the last 150 years, ie finding a cure (overpolicing) that's like 10x worse that the problem and guarantees that the cycle will continue

When i saw this guy’s letter yesterday, I clicked on his Facebook profile.

and just a quick glance at it let's you know that 75% of the stuff he claims happened is likely bullshirt....

i mean, he thinks the feds are coming to his house to force him to be vaccinated

now i'm not trying to be a pollyanna - obviously there is crime - and crime rises and falls mostly along labor and housing trends
but there of course can be localized, asymptomatic spasms of crime
last thread were car jackings was discussed someone posted opinion/analysis (can't remember which) indicating that the jackings started as crimes of nuisance/boredom (joyrides) and then became crimes of convenience (easy way to make a few $100)
BUT
i don't want the NEXTDOORing Facebooking of this to follow the same pattern as the last 150 years, ie finding a cure (overpolicing) that's like 10x worse that the problem and guarantees that the cycle will continue
I dislike calling auto theft “crimes of convenience”. Stealing a locked car isn’t snatching a phone out of someone’s hand on public transportation. Calling auto theft “joy rides” even if it’s hoping in a running car from a delivery driver seems generous. These “joy rides” can result in the car owner dying or losing tens of thousands of dollars. Taking your old man’s car without permission is joy riding. That’s not what’s happening.

I dislike calling auto theft “crimes of convenience”. Stealing a locked car isn’t snatching a phone out of someone’s hand on public transportation. Calling auto theft “joy rides” even if it’s hoping in a running car from a delivery driver seems generous. These “joy rides” can result in the car owner dying or losing tens of thousands of dollars. Taking your old man’s car without permission is joy riding. That’s not what’s happening.
I was relating what I remembered from the article /opinion
I meant to distinguish between carjackings (boredom/joyrides) and breakins (convenience)

wasn’t really addressing grand theft

Saw a dude passed out on Canal two weeks ago on a Tuesday morning around 9:30 in the neutral ground where the streetcar stops for the medical complex. Just didn't expect that. Guess he slept it off or one of the streetcar conductors radioed to get some help because he was gone by the time I came back through about 2 hours later.

I remember seeing a guy who was probably in his early 20s passed smooth out not far from Bourbon St some years back, in a trail of his own vomit. Based on appearance and clothing, I'm assuming it was a "partying overindulgence" issue as opposed to a "this dude has such a problem that he stays drunk in the streets" issue.

Not sure if that guy had the worst friends ever, or somehow wandered off to where they couldn't find him, or made the awful decision to go party in New Orleans by himself.

Is this unique to NOLA ? Without looking it up, it would not surprise me if a great many US cities are facing officer shortages.. as with most things that critics levy (pun intended) against NOLA, they are usually things that are *not* unique at all to just New Orleans.

It's a problem for a lot of departments, and especially seems to be impacting many large cities. And it's happening for a variety of reasons, with emphasis on any particular one depending on who you talk to.

It's a problem here in Austin. Retirements, postponed cadet classes, social issues surrounding policing, re-allocated funding, COVID, have all been cited.

Crime is up. Response times are taking longer.

I sense people are feeling frustrated and stuck between battling extremes; believing it has to be possible to maintain public safety while doing more to address police abuses and corruption.

A couple of years ago, Austin city leaders made the decision to relax enforcement of public camping restrictions. The idea wasn't without merit but it became clear over time that the city didn't have enough in the way of a plan to address the outcomes of that decision. There were homeless camps throughout the city - in medians and along busy roadways, under every overpass, creeks and greenbelts in and adjacent to neighborhoods, and other public use areas that were overtaken. Fires, assaults, vandalism, trash, public drug use, indecency, and other consequences were widely observed and reported.

In May, voters turned out to reinstate the camping restrictions. State leaders doubled-down with their own measures.

We don't do nearly enough in this country to address homelessness, drug abuse, mental health illnesses, and the fundamental socioeconomic inequalities, biases, and shortcomings that contribute to crime and create poverty, however, the well-meaning but shortsighted approach that Austin took isn't the answer, either.

I like the smell of weed.
same here, prob b/c don't partake anymore

i agree with alabama man's constructive critique and find it well reasoned and respectfully presented

everytime i go "home", it seems worse and saddens me enormously

not sure nola is redeemable anymore, sorry current residents

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom