Observations from Doug Farrar's Story on NFL Teams Drifting Away from Having a WR1 (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I don’t see anything remarkable happening. Many teams have a true, clear cut #1, some don’t. That’s always been the case.

You may not “need” and number 1 or can work around it, but I bet most teams would take one if they could get one.

His first observation was the QB position. A good/great QB can make it work as long as the WR room has “some” talent.

I think most teams would prefer to not pay these guys top dollar. They want top level production at a cheap rate. Similar to the running back situation.

We may already have him and just don’t know it yet.

Imagine if Brees had a guy like Olave.

I saw Michael Thomas thrive with Teddy, Taysom, and Jameis at QB. I don't see the same thing with Olave. Maybe he'll change my mind but as of now I'm not interesting in paying him the 30mil/year he's going to want.

I saw Michael Thomas thrive with Teddy, Taysom, and Jameis at QB. I don't see the same thing with Olave. Maybe he'll change my mind but as of now I'm not interesting in paying him the 30mil/year he's going to want.

Good point.

I don’t see anything remarkable happening. Many teams have a true, clear cut #1, some don’t. That’s always been the case.

You may not “need” and number 1 or can work around it, but I bet most teams would take one if they could get one.

If it's not happening now, I think it will eventually. Teams are starting to run into problems with two receivers wanting 30mil/year contracts. Hill/Waddle got it. 49ers can't pay Aiyuk and Deebo. Bengals can't pay Higgins and Chase...

If it's not happening now, I think it will eventually. Teams are starting to run into problems with two receivers wanting 30mil/year contracts. Hill/Waddle got it. 49ers can't pay Aiyuk and Deebo. Bengals can't pay Higgins and Chase...

a65d2075-b788-474b-b90b-36d9d58dd52f_text.gif

But will pay QBs double to have 65% of their yards come from YAC...lol. :shrug:

On another note, something in the article caught my eye.

Last season, per Sports Info Solutions, the Chiefs led the NFL in dropbacks with pre-snap motion with 546. Mahomes completed 336 passes in 489 attempts with motion for 3,389 yards, 1,219 air yards, 23 touchdowns, eight interceptions, and a passer rating of 109.9. Without motion, Mahomes completed 169 of 257 passes for 1,845 yards, 850 air yards, 10 touchdowns, seven interceptions, and a passer rating of 88.4. The Chiefs knew they didn’t have the kinds of receivers who could consistently separate without schematic help, so they gave them as much schematic help as possible.
And people think I am tripping when talking about scheming..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom