Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (117 Viewers)

^ This all day long. MNF did more to bring down Raw's key 18-49 demographic rating in one night than AEW did with their string of recent signings - Punk, Cole, & Danielson.

Stop taking everything Meltzer says as gospel. He is close friends with Tony Khan (as well as with the Young Bucks) and so he is going to have a bias toward propping AEW up like he is here. Ringside News has reported with a source from the WWE creative team that AEW didn't factor into the WWE's decision to move up the title match and have Big E successfully cash in, and other sites have credited the opposition of MNF for the move.
To be fair, hasn’t Ringside News been pretty iffy with their rumors and reports?

While I think Meltzer’s bias sometimes gets overblown, he certainly does have relationships with some AEW folks (like you said), so it’s a good idea to use a grain of salt and all that.

I’m just saying that Ringside News doesn’t seem super reliable either. I’m happy to be corrected on that though (possible I’m thinking of a different site).

Didn't watch NXT 2.0 last night , on DVR...worth the watch?

Happy for Big E.. a long time coming. I guess a short reunion of New Day till the draft.

Saw earlier today about a teaser for Hurt Business...never should have broken up.

Can't wait to see what MJF has to say tonight and whats next for Jericho.
+1 for shouldn’t have broken up the Hurt Business.

To be fair, hasn’t Ringside News been pretty iffy with their rumors and reports?

While I think Meltzer’s bias sometimes gets overblown, he certainly does have relationships with some AEW folks (like you said), so it’s a good idea to use a grain of salt and all that.

I’m just saying that Ringside News doesn’t seem super reliable either. I’m happy to be corrected on that though (possible I’m thinking of a different site).

Ringside News is a sheet tier source.

I am aware of their reputation, but at the same time, who got the scoop on the WWE's plan/desire to make Adam Cole a heel manager on the main roster? Ringside News, and they said they sourced that from a member of the WWE creative team just as with the Big E title win thing here now. Meltzer then came behind and confirmed the "Cole as heel manager" news. So maybe they do actually have a legitimate source (now). It just defies logic that the WWE would be more concerned about AEW than MNF showing back up and taking 17.3% of Raw's 18-49 demographic in one single night.

I am aware of their reputation, but at the same time, who got the scoop on the WWE's plan/desire to make Adam Cole a heel manager on the main roster? Ringside News, and they said they sourced that from a member of the WWE creative team just as with the Big E title win thing here now. Meltzer then came behind and confirmed the "Cole as heel manager" news. So maybe they do actually have a legitimate source (now). It just defies logic that the WWE would be more concerned about AEW than MNF showing back up and taking 17.3% of Raw's 18-49 demographic in one single night.
But MNF does the same thing every year. It's already a foregone conclusion. AEW is just something else that could eat into their market share that wasn't factored in previously. I get they like the Monday night slot, but when football rolls around, that market share will always drop no matter what they do.

But MNF does the same thing every year. It's already a foregone conclusion. AEW is just something else that could eat into their market share that wasn't factored in previously. I get they like the Monday night slot, but when football rolls around, that market share will always drop no matter what they do.
And every year, WWE does the same thing. The did this type of stuff long before AEW was even thought of. AEW is a problem, but not on Monday night.

And every year, WWE does the same thing. The did this type of stuff long before AEW was even thought of. AEW is a problem, but not on Monday night.
Right, but, I do think that AEW can take some of that market share if people decide that they want one wrestling show and do that instead of WWE. Granted, I don't really know how many people are actually doing that, but I assume it's a significant enough number worth paying attention to.

AEW's hiring of Punk, Cole, and Danielson hadn't made as much as a dent in Raw's 18-49 demographic rating. AEW has been rising but they haven't been causing Raw to fall in that area. The WWE knew that MNF would be a different monster in that regard, so they decided to build a stacked show with two title matches (including one humungous title change) in order to hold onto as much they could facing the NFL opposition.

Right, but, I do think that AEW can take some of that market share if people decide that they want one wrestling show and do that instead of WWE. Granted, I don't really know how many people are actually doing that, but I assume it's a significant enough number worth paying attention to.
It’s what I’ve done, I watch AEW and just keep up with WWE due to recaps

AEW's hiring of Punk, Cole, and Danielson hadn't made as much as a dent in Raw's 18-49 demographic rating. AEW has been rising but they haven't been causing Raw to fall in that area. The WWE knew that MNF would be a different monster in that regard, so they decided to build a stacked show with two title matches (including one humungous title change) in order to hold onto as much they could facing the NFL opposition.

AEW beat RAW's 18-49 demographic last week. What are you talking about?

As to your second point, are you suggesting they only realized the NFL was coming one week before it happened? Because how else to explain the sudden shift in booking? It's just coincidence that AEW beat them in the demographic on Wednesday and then BY THE WEEKEND everything changed? C'mon...

AEW beat RAW's 18-49 demographic last week. What are you talking about?

As to your second point, are you suggesting they only realized the NFL was coming one week before it happened? Because how else to explain the sudden shift in booking? It's just coincidence that AEW beat them in the demographic on Wednesday and then BY THE WEEKEND everything changed? C'mon...
Raw's 18-49 demographic rating the week before Dynamite topped them: 0.54
Raw's 18-49 demographic rating the week that Dynamite topped them: 0.52 (a 0.02 drop on a Labor Day episode) -- Does AEW even get the win this week if it's a non-Labor Day Monday for Raw?

AEW has not been bringing Raw down. They have just been doing a wonderful job of building up toward and now above Raw in the 18-49 ratings.

I asked you previously in this thread if I were to believe the stories about Vince changing his mind so much and so late on scripts and storyline ideas and you told me "Of course." MNF did way more damage to Raw's 18-49 demographic rating in one night than all of what AEW previously did to them combined. But yeah, there was such greater panic and need for counter strategy against AEW than MNF.

Last edited:
I really don’t care much about the ratings, I just want WWE to be watchable and keep my interest if that means a kick in the arse by AEW then so be it

I really don’t care much about the ratings, I just want WWE to be watchable and keep my interest if that means a kick in the arse by AEW then so be it
Smackdown is watchable. Most of the time, it's actually enjoyable. It's Raw that is garbage. Between dolls, almost super heroes, bad booking and what they did to Kross, I completely gave up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom