OK it was bound to come up so I will do the dirty work.... (1 Viewer)

hammernnails

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Stallworth vrs Colston...... they will be forever linked the same way D. Mcallister and R. Williams are .....

We made the right choice with Mcallister ... how do you think we did with the Colston / Stallworth move??

Stallworth...
Stat Overview Receiving Rushing Fumbles
SPLIT REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2006 15 304 20.3 42 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

Colston.....
Stat Overview Receiving Rushing Fumbles
SPLIT REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2006 44 700 15.9 86 7 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

I still wish Stallworth would get on the field more do a bit better, just enough to convince Philly to re-sign him.

Boy, and it only took 8 games, bound to happen.

I think a good read might be rookie stat comparison since Colston's chasing the Saint's rookie receiving record set by Stallworthless.

I like what Colston provides us - a HUGE, physical receiver who can outleap anybody and, while he isn't overly fast, has the same kind of deceptive speed that Horn had relative to Stallworth. Stallworth, Henderson, and pretty much every other WR we brought in this offeseason were basically the same player - smallish, speed guys.

I won't even count this season, because Stallworth was tearing up defenses before his hammies became a problem. Colston has managed to stay healthy all season, and with his size, doesn't seem like he'll be shaken up by many CBs or even safeties.

I was sad to see Stallworth go (I own a gold #83 that I have not worn or washed since I heard about the trade), but I like the new starter in his place.

Actually, he's chasing the TD record set by Stallworth. The other rookie receiving records (one of which he broke last week) belong to Cam Cleeland.
As to the comparison, Colston has certainly won the short term. We can only hope he'll win the long term as easily as Deuce has won over Ricky.

Is that record for total TDs or just receiving TDs? 8 seems like a low total...

I think the emergence of Devery has a deep threat also adds to the equation. Stallworth is (when healthy) a totally different reciever than Colston. On most teams you need both types of recievers. With Henderson coming on like he has, we may have that one/two tandem (future that is) that we have been missing.

I think the emergence of Devery has a deep threat also adds to the equation. Stallworth is (when healthy) a totally different reciever than Colston. On most teams you need both types of recievers. With Henderson coming on like he has, we may have that one/two tandem (future that is) that we have been missing.

I totally agree. Henderson can play flanker or split end. Whereas Colston is purely a split end. Stallworth and Henderson compare more than Colston and Stallworth.

The fact is that Colston just fits the style of Payton's offense better than Stallworth. I really liked Donté and always hoped he would live up to his potential....and I think he still will. But he's not the guy we need right now and Colston is. Have you noticed how often we go to him on 2nd and 3rd & short on the quick slant? That play is darn near undefensible. It's not Stallpepper's bread and butter but Colston is money on that play. We can still stretch the field with Devery but that's the exception not the rule with this style of offense.

Ezactly. The right players for the right system can work wonders. Good to see a coach who can do that.

Remember after 2 weeks there were a few Stallworth threads claiming we shouldn't have traded him.

I for one questioned the move for about 5 minutes during our game against the Browns when Fox showed a Game Break of Stallworth scoring that 50+ yd TD.

Then Colston scored his first NFL TD about 3 minutes later and I knew Payton made the right move. :)

I think both teams are happy. Stallworth still can't show he can stay healthy though, hopefully he comes through in the 2nd half so Philly can want to re-sign him.

This is like Cowboys fans talking about dealing Steve Walsh and keeping Troy Aikman. I think it will work out.

You want interesting, think about how we came pretty close to dealing for Javon Walker with Stallworth. If we had still drafted Colston, he would have still made the team as he was not at the bottom of the depth chart. Imagine Horn + Walker + Colston + Henderson. That would be the best WR group since the Vikings in Moss's rookie year.

Last edited:
I still wish Stallworth would get on the field more do a bit better, just enough to convince Philly to re-sign him.

I agree with you on this one. While I really liked Stallworth, he has never matured in this league yet. He still doesn't take care of himself or do the things he needs to to make sure he doesn't have problems with his hammys, and because of that he will never be the kind of reciever he could be. If he grows up and gets serious, the sky is the limit with this kid. He can be better than any of them, T.O., Harrison, Wayne, Ward, Moss etc.

another thing to keep in mind about Stallworth, he has been on the field in Philly long enough to expose the "hammy" problem but not long enough to expose the "'dropsy" problem

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom