Olympics Paris 2024 (2 Viewers)

Gabby Douglas’s dreams of winning a fourth Olympic gold medal this summer appear to be over after she withdrew from the US gymnastics championships due to an ankle injury.

The 28-year-old, who won the all-around and team gold at London 2012 before following up with team gold at Rio 2016, had hoped to compete in Paris after missing the Tokyo Games.

But the injury, which she sustained in a training session this week, has ended her ambition of becoming the oldest US female gymnast to compete at the Olympics since 1952 for now.

“I love this sport and I love pushing my limits,” Douglas told ESPN on Wednesday. “I hope I can inspire both my peers and the next generation of gymnasts that age is just a number, and you can accomplish anything you work hard for.”……

On Wednesday, she said she had not given up hope of making the team for the Los Angeles Olympics in 2028.

“I proved to myself and to the sport that my skills remain at an elite level,” Douglas told ESPN. “My plan is to continue to train for the L.A. 2028 Olympics. It would be such an honor to represent the U.S. at a home Olympics.”……

Gabby Douglas’s dreams of winning a fourth Olympic gold medal this summer appear to be over after she withdrew from the US gymnastics championships due to an ankle injury.

The 28-year-old, who won the all-around and team gold at London 2012 before following up with team gold at Rio 2016, had hoped to compete in Paris after missing the Tokyo Games.

But the injury, which she sustained in a training session this week, has ended her ambition of becoming the oldest US female gymnast to compete at the Olympics since 1952 for now.

“I love this sport and I love pushing my limits,” Douglas told ESPN on Wednesday. “I hope I can inspire both my peers and the next generation of gymnasts that age is just a number, and you can accomplish anything you work hard for.”……

On Wednesday, she said she had not given up hope of making the team for the Los Angeles Olympics in 2028.

“I proved to myself and to the sport that my skills remain at an elite level,” Douglas told ESPN. “My plan is to continue to train for the L.A. 2028 Olympics. It would be such an honor to represent the U.S. at a home Olympics.”……

That’s a shame (maybe) even though it was a long shot

But 2028? Lets someone get her a hobby

PARIS — Russia is trying to undermine the 2024 Paris Olympics through disinformation campaigns that blend old propaganda tactics with artificial intelligence, according to Microsoft.

Microsoft’s threat analysis center said in a report that the Kremlin’s goals are to denigrate the reputation of the International Olympic Committee and create an expectation that violence will break out at the Paris Olympic Games, which will take place from July 26 to Aug. 11 in the French capital and in locations across France and its overseas territories.

Russia “seeks to spread public fear to deter spectators from attending the Games,” wrote Clint Watts, general manager of Microsoft’s Threat Analysis Center, in an accompanying blog post. The company warned that disinformation could intensify in the lead-up to the Opening Ceremonies.

The Russian Embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

The report appears to confirm allegations made by French President Emmanuel Macron, who said in April that Russia had been targeting the games by pushing the narrative that France wouldn’t be ready to host.

At the time, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov called the allegations “completely unfounded.”……..

Simone was great this past weekend
Yep. And I actually watched the men just so I'd have an idea who is who in this Olympic year. The Gators have 3 of their collegiate gymnasts going to the trials (Dicello, Wong, Blakely). You'd think they were killing it in the NCAA but the Tigers won the natty this year. LSU has no one in contention ... at least for the USA (they have Aleah Finnegan going for Phillipines).

PARIS — For all the steps Paris organizers have taken to put on the greenest Olympics ever, their boldest measure — the one they’ve touted again and again — pertains to the dorms in the Athletes’ Village. The rooms don’t have air-conditioning.

Because of other cooling measures, organizers have assured, the athletes won’t need it.

But in a farcical turn, when the Games start next month, an Olympic Village designed to showcase sustainability will be more of an energy hog than organizers had hoped.

That’s because portable air-conditioning units will be everywhere. Wheeled in. Shipped in. Ordered by visiting countries that want their athletes to sleep well and perform at the highest level — even if it means a larger carbon footprint.

Worried about what potentially could be the world’s hottest year on record, wealthier nations have effectively undercut Paris’s marquee sustainability measure, signaling that, yes, they care about environmental aims — but not if it risks the comfort of their athletes.

Some of those athletes are accustomed to temperatures cooler than what the dorms might have provided and raised concerns to their national Olympic committees.

“It’s a high-performance environment,” said Strath Gordon, the chief of public affairs for the Olympic committee of Australia, one of the countries opting for the ACs.

To capture the scale of planned portable air-conditioning use at the games, The Washington Post sent inquiries to 20 of the largest competing nations. Among the eight that responded, all — including the United States — said they were planning to use portable ACs in some or all of their athletes’ rooms.

Others with air-conditioning plans include Great Britain, Canada, Italy, and — to a limited degree — Germany, which says ACs will be used for participants in just a handful of sports.

If Japan, which did not respond to The Post’s inquiry, goes through with its own air-conditioning plans — announced at a news conference last December — then every Group of Seven country aside from the host will be using the units……

PARIS — For all the steps Paris organizers have taken to put on the greenest Olympics ever, their boldest measure — the one they’ve touted again and again — pertains to the dorms in the Athletes’ Village. The rooms don’t have air-conditioning.

Because of other cooling measures, organizers have assured, the athletes won’t need it.

But in a farcical turn, when the Games start next month, an Olympic Village designed to showcase sustainability will be more of an energy hog than organizers had hoped.

That’s because portable air-conditioning units will be everywhere. Wheeled in. Shipped in. Ordered by visiting countries that want their athletes to sleep well and perform at the highest level — even if it means a larger carbon footprint.

Worried about what potentially could be the world’s hottest year on record, wealthier nations have effectively undercut Paris’s marquee sustainability measure, signaling that, yes, they care about environmental aims — but not if it risks the comfort of their athletes.

Some of those athletes are accustomed to temperatures cooler than what the dorms might have provided and raised concerns to their national Olympic committees.

“It’s a high-performance environment,” said Strath Gordon, the chief of public affairs for the Olympic committee of Australia, one of the countries opting for the ACs.

To capture the scale of planned portable air-conditioning use at the games, The Washington Post sent inquiries to 20 of the largest competing nations. Among the eight that responded, all — including the United States — said they were planning to use portable ACs in some or all of their athletes’ rooms.

Others with air-conditioning plans include Great Britain, Canada, Italy, and — to a limited degree — Germany, which says ACs will be used for participants in just a handful of sports.

If Japan, which did not respond to The Post’s inquiry, goes through with its own air-conditioning plans — announced at a news conference last December — then every Group of Seven country aside from the host will be using the units……

if each country was notified - and i have to assume they all were based on the fact that organizers and builders actually used input FROM Athletes from 5 different continents- and they are just now "shipping in portable AC units- cmon man.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom