Olympics Paris 2024 (3 Viewers)

NEW YORK (AP) — When Team USA walks with the world’s athletes at the Paris Olympics’opening ceremony, they’ll be doing so in snappy tailored navy blazers from Ralph Lauren — and blue jeans.

Just regular, everyday denim blue jeans.

Ralph Lauren, which unveiled Tuesday its ninth turn creating Olympic parade looks for the Americans, is billing the pairing as “unexpected” yet classic.

David Lauren, the company’s chief branding and innovation officer and its founder’s son, was unbothered by the casualness of blue denim.

“We work very closely with Team USA to make the athletes feel at once dressed up, feel like a team, but at the same time comfortable and very distinctively American,” he told The Associated Press on Monday during a media preview at the company’s posh New York headquarters..........

1718797391472.png

1718797410641.png

Can't wait for Dan vs. Dave to finally be settled.

NEW YORK (AP) — When Team USA walks with the world’s athletes at the Paris Olympics’opening ceremony, they’ll be doing so in snappy tailored navy blazers from Ralph Lauren — and blue jeans.

Just regular, everyday denim blue jeans.

Ralph Lauren, which unveiled Tuesday its ninth turn creating Olympic parade looks for the Americans, is billing the pairing as “unexpected” yet classic.

David Lauren, the company’s chief branding and innovation officer and its founder’s son, was unbothered by the casualness of blue denim.

“We work very closely with Team USA to make the athletes feel at once dressed up, feel like a team, but at the same time comfortable and very distinctively American,” he told The Associated Press on Monday during a media preview at the company’s posh New York headquarters..........

1718797391472.png

1718797410641.png

I'm not mad even at the blue jeans. Blue jeans are underrated. They're quite versatile. And American athletes will look great in jeans. Everything from the belly button up however, gets a no from me. A better looking blazer and shirt and this could have been a cool look.

So what are your thoughts on Clark not being on the Olympic team?

I know some people are really mad about about it but all the arguments about her being on the team seem to involve the rating boost she would deliver

Which she would. Clark on the world stage would certainly draw a ton of eyeballs.

I know her college games were all sold out, I'm not sure if it was college or WNBA but some of her games were moved to a larger venue and still sold out, she and Angel Reese's recent match up was the highest rated WNBA game in 23 years

That all makes sense, but none of the arguments about here being on the team are basketball related

As of a couple weeks ago she was I think 15th in scoring and she led the league in turnovers, and the women's Olympic team has won gold since 1996, so it's not like the team needs her to get over the hump

I also remember all the backlash that Christian Laettner got for being on the Dream Team (by fans but I believe the team as well)

I'll admit I was surprised when she wasn't named but after reading more about it I'm okay with her not being on the team

(but, if for some bizarre reason we don't win gold prepare for a volcanic eruption of rage and cries of 'we would have won if Clark was there!!!")

So what are your thoughts on Clark not being on the Olympic team?

I know some people are really mad about about it but all the arguments about her being on the team seem to involve the rating boost she would deliver

Which she would. Clark on the world stage would certainly draw a ton of eyeballs.

I know her college games were all sold out, I'm not sure if it was college or WNBA but some of her games were moved to a larger venue and still sold out, she and Angel Reese's recent match up was the highest rated WNBA game in 23 years

That all makes sense, but none of the arguments about here being on the team are basketball related

As of a couple weeks ago she was I think 15th in scoring and she led the league in turnovers, and the women's Olympic team has won gold since 1996, so it's not like the team needs her to get over the hump

I also remember all the backlash that Christian Laettner got for being on the Dream Team (by fans but I believe the team as well)

I'll admit I was surprised when she wasn't named but after reading more about it I'm okay with her not being on the team

(but, if for some bizarre reason we don't win gold prepare for a volcanic eruption of rage and cries of 'we would have won if Clark was there!!!")

It’s a clickbait talking point with little substance behind it - including her would be the same level of Christian Laettner in 92
It’s also hella disrespectful to the WNBA

It’s a clickbait talking point with little substance behind it - including her would be the same level of Christian Laettner in 92
It’s also hella disrespectful to the WNBA
Maybe, and it's been a while, but once upon a time the team was all college players and when it went to pro players, they wanted to include at least one college player which iirc is how we got Christian Laettner. I wasn't a fan of the Laettner pick, but I don't think comparing him with Clark is remotely fair to her. They're hardly the same player. And the public interest in Clark is miles different and I'd argue far more impact impactful.

I'm not emotionally invested in her making the team or anything, but I do think it's a mistake by the selection committee to not have her on the team. I think she'd bring a lot to the team both in terms of ability and attention to the sport.

That said, she should use this as motivation to prove the doubters wrong and make the 2028 team.

Maybe, and it's been a while, but once upon a time the team was all college players and when it went to pro players, they wanted to include at least one college player which iirc is how we got Christian Laettner. I wasn't a fan of the Laettner pick, but I don't think comparing him with Clark is remotely fair to her. They're hardly the same player. And the public interest in Clark is miles different and I'd argue far more impact impactful.

I'm not emotionally invested in her making the team or anything, but I do think it's a mistake by the selection committee to not have her on the team. I think she'd bring a lot to the team both in terms of ability and attention to the sport.

That said, she should use this as motivation to prove the doubters wrong and make the 2028 team.
The team is one of the most dominant in all Olympic sports, with a 70–3 record in Olympic play, and a record seven consecutive titles. They have no Olympic losses since 1992, no losses in any tournament since 2006

so they’re one of the most dominant teams ever in any sport and they’re going to increase their profile by including rookie sensation CC who’s maybe mid 20s best player in WNBA (and no even best rookie)??

If she was top 12 player, she’s on the team
If she’s not top 12 there’s no good argument for her to be on the team
And I can almost guarantee that as competitive as she is, she would not want to be included if she didn’t earn her spot

The team is one of the most dominant in all Olympic sports, with a 70–3 record in Olympic play, and a record seven consecutive titles. They have no Olympic losses since 1992, no losses in any tournament since 2006

so they’re one of the most dominant teams ever in any sport and they’re going to increase their profile by including rookie sensation CC who’s maybe mid 20s best player in WNBA (and no even best rookie)??

If she was top 12 player, she’s on the team
If she’s not top 12 there’s no good argument for her to be on the team
And I can almost guarantee that as competitive as she is, she would not want to be included if she didn’t earn her spot
If you think they're picking the top 12 strictly based on talent, you don't know much about how the selection committee picks players. It's ultimately going to be subjective. Do you pick the best defensive player? Best offensive? Best all around? Coaches opinions? Media? Fans? I mean, it's not all that different than a draft where there's debate on who those top players are.

And yes, the women's teams have been dominant for a long time. They'd be dominant with Clark or without her. That said, if you think they wouldn't have more exposure without Clark on the team, you'd be wrong.

That said, that's all my own opinion. And we won't agree. I'm fine with that.

If you think they're picking the top 12 strictly based on talent, you don't know much about how the selection committee picks players. It's ultimately going to be subjective. Do you pick the best defensive player? Best offensive? Best all around? Coaches opinions? Media? Fans? I mean, it's not all that different than a draft where there's debate on who those top players are.

And yes, the women's teams have been dominant for a long time. They'd be dominant with Clark or without her. That said, if you think they wouldn't have more exposure without Clark on the team, you'd be wrong.

That said, that's all my own opinion. And we won't agree. I'm fine with that.
Why is the person CC would replace less deserving?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom