OTAs Week 1’s Practice Notes & Highlights: Trevor Penning moving to Right Tackle (2 Viewers)

I know the OL has been the focal point and for obvious reasons. But curious to know how the rest of the offense and defense lines up. For example, first, second, and third teams. Who were on the outside vs slot cb. Which receivers were in which units with which QBs? How did the second and third unit OL/DL line up? Thanks for the info or maybe I missed it.

This is simply a case of throwing Penning at a wall to see if he sticks.

He isnt a LT. I think Ram retires before TC. So we have a O line is bad shape, and the hope of Ram returning to his former glory seems to be all be squashed. We have a 1st round pick, and a massive problem that is our o line. We dont have a choice but to throw him at RT and hope he figures it out.

I would not count on it. I think Penning is cooked as a NFL player. Same with Payton Turner. But 1st round picks get every opportunity to fail before they are turned loose.
I think you'll be wrong on Penning and Turner. JMHO

He might have had a high RAS score, but that didn't equate to production on the field. So what do you think his problem was last year? He didn't show the athleticism to play LT. The DE's were either bull rushing him or running around him. He was so flat footed. Might as well had put nobody at LT last year when Penning was in the game. At least that way you know as a QB you had to get rid of the ball quick.

If he has the same issues at RT, you can't wait until the 4th or 5th game of the season to make a switch. Season would be over by then.

My neighbors' daughter aced her driving quiz. 100%. Couldn't get out of a parking lot because she was petrified of actually driving. Test score didn't equate to production. She UBER's well though.
When Mike Tyson jabs to the ribs, the opponents’ elbow drops to cover the ribs, which opens the face. Tyson then haymakers to the face with a sweeping blow. The opponent becomes dazed from the shot to the head and raises both elbows to cover the face thus exposing the body once again. Tyson then follows with two quick jabs to the ribs, buckling the opponent forward still with both elbows covering the face. Exposing the upper cut kill shot. Penning was like the opponent a victim of bad timing.

If Penning is moved to guard and becomes one of the most dominant guards ever to play for the Saints, would he be considered a bust? I would say no. I would think he was a great draft pick. So why are the Saints trying to put a square peg in a round hole?

Unless Penning worked his butt off this offseason, and used specialized training to increase his foot speed and upper body technique, why not move him to guard?
Sorry, but it’s a pet peeve of mine…. Penning is an incredible athlete with nimble feet…. There is more to being a tackle then feet (athleticism) and that’s what he has to work on, the other stuff.

He missed, practically, his entire rookie season and his ENTIRE offseason. For a RAW rookie from NORTHERN IOWA, that is a death sentence. Last year was basically his rookie season and he struggled because he was extremely raw and relied on his athleticism and physical dominance in college.

If he fails this season, it will be cuz he didn’t have what it takes, not cuz he was a bad athlete.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 3

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom