OTAs Week 1’s Practice Notes & Highlights: Trevor Penning moving to Right Tackle (1 Viewer)

He might have had a high RAS score, but that didn't equate to production on the field. So what do you think his problem was last year? He didn't show the athleticism to play LT. The DE's were either bull rushing him or running around him. He was so flat footed. Might as well had put nobody at LT last year when Penning was in the game. At least that way you know as a QB you had to get rid of the ball quick.

If he has the same issues at RT, you can't wait until the 4th or 5th game of the season to make a switch. Season would be over by then.

My neighbors' daughter aced her driving quiz. 100%. Couldn't get out of a parking lot because she was petrified of actually driving. Test score didn't equate to production. She UBER's well though.

RAS is just an objective measure of athletic ability. The point is that he has the athletic ability he just hasn't put it on the field due to bad technique and possibly a lack of confidence and coaching. So, his issue is not lack of quickness to play LT/RT, his issue is that he has poor technique and, similar to your neighbor's daughter, is petrified to face elite NFL pass rushers. Putting him at Guard over tackle doesn't solve those issues it only means that he will be facing bigger bull rushers which is an issue because one of his technical flaws is that he does not anchor well. But, I hear he also Ubers well.

So, make him fail (or succeed) at RT, before moving him to Guard. I'm going to have to trust that Dennison, Kubiak, and the rest of the offensive staff know if he needs to be moved to Guard or not. And, if he doesn't prove to be ready to start at RT I doubt the new offensive staff even starts him in the first game, much less for 5 games.

RAS is just an objective measure of athletic ability. The point is that he has the athletic ability he just hasn't put it on the field due to bad technique and possibly a lack of confidence and coaching. So, his issue is not lack of quickness to play LT/RT, his issue is that he has poor technique and, similar to your neighbor's daughter, is petrified to face elite NFL pass rushers. Putting him at Guard over tackle doesn't solve those issues it only means that he will be facing bigger bull rushers which is an issue because one of his technical flaws is that he does not anchor well. But, I hear he also Ubers well.

So, make him fail (or succeed) at RT, before moving him to Guard. I'm going to have to trust that Dennison, Kubiak, and the rest of the offensive staff know if he needs to be moved to Guard or not. And, if he doesn't prove to be ready to start at RT I doubt the new offensive staff even starts him in the first game, much less for 5 games.
I hope you are correct. I believe in the staff also, but also know that pay determines mostly who plays and who doesn't in the NFL. NFL teams hate to be proven they are wrong when it comes to high draft picks. They do not like the egg on their face. I do believe on paper that our O-Line is 100% better than last years. And our back ups are better also. But only time will tell.

If Penning is moved to guard and becomes one of the most dominant guards ever to play for the Saints, would he be considered a bust? I would say no. I would think he was a great draft pick. So why are the Saints trying to put a square peg in a round hole?

Unless Penning worked his butt off this offseason, and used specialized training to increase his foot speed and upper body technique, why not move him to guard?
SMH . Just forget about the Penning you saw last yr. That guy was the product of being injured for the whole yr including last offseason and not getting the work he would have gotten. PLUS he was the product of PUTRID OL coaching in Marrone. Benton has said that TP is very athletic and had one of the highest RAS scores of any O lineman EVER. But just stick to that narrative that he has slow feet and is weak. Both Benton and Dennison see him as a T and not a G . There has ben NO mention of anyone on the staff about him playing G even though we have a glaring hole @ LG. Sorry I' m gonna take the opinion of 2 of THE best OL coaches in the NFL over yours or anyone else on this or any other board me included
I think TP if he stays @ RT and not LT will be the starter in the opening game

He failed at his job last year. Can't blame Hurst for Penning's failures.
Absolutely ridiculous. The OL works as a whole each one affects the other's performance. Especially on each side. Hurst's putrid performance directly affected anyone playing the LT spot. Hurst saw the writing on the wall he knew he was not a fit for the wide zone blocking and knew he would get cut so he retired

I hope you are correct. I believe in the staff also, but also know that pay determines mostly who plays and who doesn't in the NFL. NFL teams hate to be proven they are wrong when it comes to high draft picks. They do not like the egg on their face. I do believe on paper that our O-Line is 100% better than last years. And our back ups are better also. But only time will tell.

I mean, if that were really true the Saints wouldn't have sat Penning for the last 12 games last year. I think they are realistic with Penning and he is going to have to earn a job with the new staff. They don't have any connection to him other than if he is the best guy to start at RT. No reason for them to not start the best guy at RT.

This is simply a case of throwing Penning at a wall to see if he sticks.

He isnt a LT. I think Ram retires before TC. So we have a O line is bad shape, and the hope of Ram returning to his former glory seems to be all be squashed. We have a 1st round pick, and a massive problem that is our o line. We dont have a choice but to throw him at RT and hope he figures it out.

I would not count on it. I think Penning is cooked as a NFL player. Same with Payton Turner. But 1st round picks get every opportunity to fail before they are turned loose.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom