OTAs Week 1’s Practice Notes & Highlights: Trevor Penning moving to Right Tackle (1 Viewer)

Lol for real. What else can the man do? Fly? If he still has secret tools in his arsenal that he hasn't unveiled yet then the dude is Neo and this is the Matrix.

SP and Pete were pretty creative when it came to using Taysom. We've seen him do everything. I'd like to see him do everything more often. Except maybe special teams. I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze on that one. Line him up all over the place on offense and get him the ball. Use him as a decoy. He's such a unique weapon. It will be interesting to see how he's used going forward.

Fullback is an interesting idea. He can get a short yardage carry here and there but he could be lethal sneaking out of the backfield. Nobody thinks that much about the Fullback and they end up open with no defender in sight. But I'm sure defenses will pay more attention to Taysom Hill. He's not exactly Tom Rathman getting lost in the shuffle.
He's lined up at fullback before, too. The interesting part is if that becomes his usual position, rather than tight end. I still think he needs to get snaps at qb, though.

Here's an article that details how he was used in 2019, alone:

Lol for real. What else can the man do? Fly? If he still has secret tools in his arsenal that he hasn't unveiled yet then the dude is Neo and this is the Matrix.
Rush the passer! I just want him to get an interception & a QB sack to round out the stat column for the enigma that is TH7.
😆

Who Dat!

Rush the passer! I just want him to get an interception & a QB sack to round out the stat column for the enigma that is TH7.
😆

Who Dat!
Yup. Also want him to kick a field goal. I want the dude to go down as an all-time unicorn in the NFL. Someone whose accomplishments will never be matched. If he can't get the proper opportunity to be a starting QB, he at least deserves that much.

SP and Pete were pretty creative when it came to using Taysom. We've seen him do everything. I'd like to see him do everything more often. Except maybe special teams. I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze on that one. Line him up all over the place on offense and get him the ball. Use him as a decoy. He's such a unique weapon. It will be interesting to see how he's used going forward.

Fullback is an interesting idea. He can get a short yardage carry here and there but he could be lethal sneaking out of the backfield. Nobody thinks that much about the Fullback and they end up open with no defender in sight. But I'm sure defenses will pay more attention to Taysom Hill. He's not exactly Tom Rathman getting lost in the shuffle.

You nailed it. The only thing left for Taysom to really “do” is see more volume. We were seemingly afraid to have high volume, featured players under Carmichael…it was very abnormal, almost surreal at times, how he sometimes felt EAGER to get a player out of the lineup as soon as we started getting something going.

That’s a stark contrast to what we saw in SF, and hopefully that mode of operation finds its way here.

I felt all last season that we needed to start to feature Taysom a lot more. Obviously be smart with it and keep him healthy, but the guy could use more touches. He is absolutely special with the ball in his hands. I also think Shaheed needs more touches, especially underneath and on screens. He’s another guy that is a big time playmaker that needs more volume rather than spot duty here and there.

He's lined up at fullback before, too. The interesting part is if that becomes his usual position, rather than tight end. I still think he needs to get snaps at qb, though.

DA said yesterday that Hill's QB package will still be a big part of the offense this season.

I suspect that how much will depend on how the rest of the running game is working and how successful they are with the HB/FB and TE stuff for Hill.

I just hope that Kubiak does a better job of using him. Pete limited his touches and seemed to use him in obvious situations instead of surprising teams with QB Power out of a shift in formation or just throwing it in there at random times to keep teams guessing. And I have no idea why he never tried to use him at FB or HB. He also seemed to actively limit Hill's touches. No point in limiting his touches because of his age. At this point you just have to give him high volume and hope he can take it given the money he is paid.

Taysom Hill absolutely had starting QB potential in the NFL. He has two glaring weaknesses in his game.

1) He doesn't throw a great deep ball (not an arm strength issue, more about timing and placement... i.e. correctable)

2) injuries - a bigger issue due to his playing style.
In addition, he flushes from the pocket too easily and stops looking downfield.

Taysom Hill absolutely had starting QB potential in the NFL. He has two glaring weaknesses in his game.

1) He doesn't throw a great deep ball (not an arm strength issue, more about timing and placement... i.e. correctable)

2) injuries - a bigger issue due to his playing style.

Agreed, especially on 2)........but I really think he could be a major contributor in this offense for at least next 2 years....

These are just experiments, don't read too much into them.

Saints have always cross-trained their linemen as much as possible for versatility...
I didn't hear that from Benton in his interview. He stated that they were planning on Penning at RT before the draft and decided to stick with it after drafting Fuaga. He also pointed out with their scheme they needed athletic linemen in both spots. He concluded that Penning needed a fresh start. Also Ramczyk is doubtful and likely out for the year.

All of this point to these positions running into the season as they are currently assigned.

SFIAH

Yeah, I am not going to get too excited about the news that a player is merely lining up at a different position. I need to see him when the pads are on and the bullets are flying before suddenly thinking all is well.

One plus though is that he is definitely now in a OL friendly system with some great leadership in his ear, so hopefully he can turn things around.
I’m old enough to remember when most olineman drafted early spent two to three years on the bench before being asked to start. There were very few players that came in to the league and started, Willie Roaf for example was an exception. I think olineman need time to develop.

Looking forward to seeing the Digital Clock, the Watch Case Opener, the Thermometer, the Altimeter, the Laser Pointer, the Whistle, the Removeable Flashdrive, the LED Flashlight, the Orienteering Tool, the Phillips Head Screwdriver, the Awl, the Bottle Opener, the Can Opener, the Scissors, the Tweezers, the Pliers, the Fingernail Clippers, the Nail File, the Carabiner Clip, the Hook Remover, the Corkscrew, the File, the Saw, the Cigar Cutter, the Watch Case Opener, the Orange Peeler, the Hoof Cleaner, the Magnifying Glass, the Laser Pointer, the Ski Wax Scraper, the Scaler, the Butane Lighter, the Tread Depth Gauge, the Ruler, the Chain Rivet Tool, the Choke Tube Tool, the Glass Breaker, and the Blade.

Taysom carries a wide assortment of tools in his arsenal that have never before been used. Hopefully Klint will sample a lot more of them than what has been used in the past.

I'd prefer that Kubiak hold a few back until week 7, October 17th on a Thursday night when Payton and the Broncos come to the Dome. That's when he can use the Hoof Cleaner, the Orange Peeler, the Ski Wax Scraper, the Corkscrew, the Choke Tube Tool, the Can Opener, and the Blade.
Pssst, don't tell anyone, but KK is keeping THIS ATTACHMENT secret: Dzus Key Aviation Snoopy Tool

I’m old enough to remember when most olineman drafted early spent two to three years on the bench before being asked to start. There were very few players that came in to the league and started, Willie Roaf for example was an exception. I think olineman need time to develop.
Yep, and even Roaf started out at RT because Richard Cooper was entrenched at LT, but they did flip in 1994, Roaf’s second year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom