Outdoor grill cleaning. (1 Viewer)

Just adding this to the thread as an FYI:

I looked it up to be sure, and my oven gets to 900 degrees, so not happening today. The grates I'm trying to clean are similar to the racks they say to remove. :covri: Going to try something else instead. Leg quarters were on sale at Rouse's so I need this done by the time they defrost.
🔥
White vinegar and a wire brush. Scrub away with that and then warm the grates up some, rub some more vinegar on it with it warm, then rinse it off with water and wipe it down with oil on a paper towel before using.

The grill themselves look fine. I’d just heat that grill up as hot as you can for a good amount of time so everything gets good and hot then take a high quality wire brush-not a grill brush, but a real wire brush and scratch the heck out of them. Once you get done with that, let them cool a bit, get some canola oil, put it on a old rag and rub them down when they are cooling. Season like a cast iron pan (few heat cycles with canola oil) and you’ll be fine.

This.

Turn that sob on high for 30 minutes and brush it.

Lather, rinse and repeat till it's clean enough to re-season.

This.

Lather, with dish soap, or something else? Or do you mean with the canola oil?

The grill themselves look fine. I’d just heat that grill up as hot as you can for a good amount of time so everything gets good and hot then take a high quality wire brush-not a grill brush, but a real wire brush and scratch the heck out of them. Once you get done with that, let them cool a bit, get some canola oil, put it on a old rag and rub them down when they are cooling. Season like a cast iron pan (few heat cycles with canola oil) and you’ll be fine.

This. I usually do what 0rion mentioned and scrub with kosher salt and oil. If it doesn't come off that way it's not going to leech into your food. And if it does, a little iron in your diet won't kill you.

They look to be cast iron.

Like many before, light em up and elbow grease. Then season.

This.

DO *NOT* USE STEEL BRUSHES WITH BRISTLES

They sell bristle-less brushes.

We've had two people we know ingest the small bristles up here, and one back home. Not sure if that's a crazy number, but one of them ended up in the hospital. It was enough to get us to switch.

Also, you can take oven off, toss them into a thick garbage bag, spray oven cleaner, tie tightly and toss out into the sun. Hours later, when you open it - like brand new. Works awesome with cast iron.

We've had two people we know ingest the small bristles up here, and one back home. Not sure if that's a crazy number, but one of them ended up in the hospital. It was enough to get us to switch.

Also, you can take oven off, toss them into a thick garbage bag, spray oven cleaner, tie tightly and toss out into the sun. Hours later, when you open it - like brand new. Works awesome with cast iron.
That’s why I said a real wire brush. Not only are they much higher quality and do a better job, if a bristle falls off no way are you ingesting a wire off one of those. My preference is that, then wipe with a canola damped rag when turning them off. That way when you go to cook they nice and clean.

If you go with DTC advice about cranking it up for 30min, then make sure you clean out the bottom thoroughly, as well as the drip pan beneath (if there is one). Otherwise you will have a fine grease fire on your hands, as I did a few weeks ago...

If you go with DTC advice about cranking it up for 30min, then make sure you clean out the bottom thoroughly, as well as the drip pan beneath (if there is one). Otherwise you will have a fine grease fire on your hands, as I did a few weeks ago...
True. Best thing there is get either Easy Off or a citrus based engine cleaner. Also, check the burners as the cast iron burners if they have them tend to rust and make huge holes in the sides

Lather, with dish soap, or something else? Or do you mean with the canola oil?

I was using the phrase to mean repeat the process.

Heat it, then brush. Let it cool and brush it more then repeat. Season with oil to keep it from rusting once clean.

I was using the phrase to mean repeat the process.

Heat it, then brush. Let it cool and brush it more then repeat. Season with oil to keep it from rusting once clean.
Yes, it worked. Thank you. :) Hamburgers last night, and will do up the chicken today. I moved the compressor to the back yard to blow out the venturi, around the valves and underneath the knobs. Little spider mites get inside and block that air flow.

I use a wire brush and have been for years, but I also use a different brush after I use it just in case. I also use a wet towel to clean it more. I buy cheap white cotton rags from Walmart just for this. When they get too dirty I throw them away. I especially use a wet wire brush right after taking the food off o clean the grate while it is still hot. Before I cook the next time I wipe off everything again.

I clean mine once every two or three cooks, depending on what I am cooking.

If it is a large family meal in which my meat had BBQ sauce already applied to it when I put it on the grill, I clean the next day. If it is something small for myself and/or my wife, like a steak, I don't worry about a thorough cleaning. Also, anytime I cook seafood, I use foil, so no cleaning is necessary; I don't know what it is, but I just don't like the idea of my grill having seafood directly on it.

Before every cook, regardless of the above scenarios, I always take a few paper towels and thoroughly wipe it down before cooking.

Lastly, I order to brand new grill grates once every couple of years. They're fairly inexpensive, and there are things you just can't avoid with an outdoor grills, rust specifically.

If I smoke something extremely messy on my smoker I do a burn off the next day to burn off most of the mess. I then lightly scrape and vacuum up the burned mess the day after that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom