Palin--A Pick About Class, Not Gender (1 Viewer)

I agree that McCain made an impulsive pick, though I think a main reason McCain picked her is that he just likes her and, as David Brooks noted in his column today, sees in her his sense of independence and the common good.

and hooters!

I would add Catholics, a historically winning demographic, as a political rationale for her selection. Obama and the chattering classes expound the education track to success, for which an unexpected baby is deemed, in Obama's words, "punishment". In the non-upwardly mobile demographic which is Alaska and was once nationally widespread, you met and married in or shortly after high school and went to work supporting the kids. The MySpace page of the father, Levi Johnston, and his mother's interview denote no worldview beyond the immediate. That is an Oceanside chasm which cannot be bridged.

Reading the pieces in the press and internet blogs give me the impression both sides have completely glossed over any distinctive elements of her background. She is a caricature of some western female archetype alien to Manhattan salons. Republicans have to spend the week trying to sell us on moose when we'd rather eat arugula.

McCain has an old concept of the VP, so he wasn't looking for an Oval Office inhabitant. That's what Obama needs. Both men poll at 45%, which Obama's floor and McCain's ceiling. The remaining 10% is in play, and unless Palin is a quick study, McCain like Bush 41 will have win this on his own.

You know the whole time she ran for various offices up here, her religion was never made an issue at all. Before this I couldn't tell you where she worshiped. Alaska is very, very passionate about respecting privacy. Our right to privacy is even protected in our state constitution. In fact, the Governor she replaced lost a lot of support because he tried to use "security" as a reason to try and take that right away.

Up here in AK, even Democrats seem to like her. She has been a real breath of fresh air after the scandals and corruption we have seen in Alaskan politics for so long.

If you say this to yourself one thousand times, then cry out "Bush Stinks", you may actually start to believe it.

What part of what he said do you disagree with?

There does appear to be good reason to believe that Palin wasn't thoroughly vetted. On the exchange between Campbell Brown and Tucker Bounds, I just saw a follow-up to that and Brown relates that she got an answer from Jeff Dickerson from Slate that Palin did deploy NG troops to fight wildfires in Alaska. As she noted, this is a simple thing that Bounds should have been able to cite when asked about an action taken by Palin regarding troops. The implication, in conjunction with all the little bits of news trickling down about her, is that McCain's staff might be pretty clueless right now because the research wasn't very intensive.

As to women voters and solidifying the conservative base, which of squeezbox's references do you disagree?

Different angle and an impressive post, RJ. But the fact that she's from Alaska and it's not like the lower 48 gives me cause for concern that that same group may not relate. I dunno.

Oh, I don't think the Alaska thing will hurt her at all. Alaska is sort of a red state par excellence. A state where everyone basically like acts rural, salt of the earth people from Winnfield, Clinton, or Breaux Bridge. A state where hunting, fishing, drinking, and shooting up stop signs are a part of every day life. People may not know a lot about Alaska, but I'm pretty sure a lot of those guys in small Louisiana towns like the idea of a hot woman who used to be a sports reporter and knows how to cut up a moose. The minor detail that she's from Alaska, in my opinion, won't be a problem.

Oh, I don't think the Alaska thing will hurt her at all. Alaska is sort of a red state par excellence. A state where everyone basically like acts rural, salt of the earth people from Winnfield, Clinton, or Breaux Bridge. A state where hunting, fishing, drinking, and shooting up stop signs are a part of every day life. People may not know a lot about Alaska, but I'm pretty sure a lot of those guys in small Louisiana towns like the idea of a hot woman who used to be a sports reporter and knows how to cut up a moose. The minor detail that she's from Alaska, in my opinion, won't be a problem.

Yet, I live in a metropolis of 300,000. Don't own a gun. Enjoy a nice glass of red wine, and enjoy the symphony and fine art.

Quote:

"Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God," she exhorted the congregants. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

Yeah, that rises to the same level. lol

As with the Rev. Wright "controversy", it's not what she said, it's what her preacher said:

exerpt
"Much of his support for the current administration has come in the realm of foreign affairs. Kalnins has preached that the 9/11 attacks and the invasion of Iraq were part of a "world war" over the Christian faith, one in which Jesus Christ had called upon believers to be willing to sacrifice their lives.

What you see in a terrorist -- that's called the invisible enemy. There has always been an invisible enemy. What you see in Iraq, basically, is a manifestation of what's going on in this unseen world called the spirit world. ... We need to think like Jesus thinks. We are in a time and a season of war, and we need to think like that. We need to develop that instinct. We need to develop as believers the instinct that we are at war, and that war is contending for your faith. ... Jesus called us to die. You're worried about getting hurt? He's called us to die. Listen, you know we can't even follow him unless you are willing to give up your life. ... I believe that Jesus himself operated from that position of war mode. Everyone say "war mode." Now you say, wait a minute Ed, he's like the good shepherd, he's loving all the time and he's kind all the time. Oh yes he is -- but I also believe that he had a part of his thoughts that knew that he was in a war.
"

end of exerpt

Do't get me wrong. I have a very deep and abiding faith in God and Jesus. However, I do not feel that Jesus wants us to die for oil, or "kill the infidel". Such thinking should have been left behind hundreds of years ago. Such thinking as manifested in her preacher's words are equally or more disturbing than anything Rev. Wright says.

Oh, and if you believe that "religion should be private", well just remember which side cracked open this box in the first place...

What part of what he said do you disagree with?

There does appear to be good reason to believe that Palin wasn't thoroughly vetted. On the exchange between Campbell Brown and Tucker Bounds, I just a follow-up to that and Brown relates that she got an answer from Jeff Dickerson from Slate that Palin did deploy NG troops to fight wildfires in Alaska. As she noted, this is a simple thing that Bounds should have been able to cite when asked about an action taken by Palin regarding troops. The implication, in conjunction with all the little bits of news trickling down about her, is that McCain's staff might be pretty clueless right now because the research wasn't very intensive.

As to women voters and solidifying the conservative base, which of squeezbox's references do you disagree?

As far as McCain wanting to "look" more conservative, I believe the most conservaties know his stance on most of the issues that are important to them. I do concede that Palin probably appeals to a great number of the conservative base. In fact, I would venture to say that Palin is much closer to their views than is McCain.

However, I don't think for a minute that she was chosen "out of the blue" in a last-second decision. That, IMO, would be giving McCain too much credit. ;-)

And, as many have pointed out here, the hard-core Hillary voters could probably care less for her. I guess that I just give McCain and his advisors ENOUGH CREDIT to be at least as smart, or politically savvy, as most of us here on this site.

My first impression when I read McCain picked Palin was that he had out blue-collared the Dems. How refreshing after months of a messiah and another with unimaginable wealth, Alaska sends in Joan of Arc ... in snowboots. Down to Earth, plain talkin', woman of the people ... who decorates with antlers.

"The governor's house is actually somewhat modest: a two-story wood shingled building with a couple hundred meters of road leading up to it. There are a few aging trucks parked on the grass alongside the road, alongside a couple trailers and a shack. There's a portable basketball hoop in the driveway. You can tell it's the governor's home because they've tacked a moose antler with PALIN painted on it to a tree out front."

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1837713,00.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom