Paying a player's fine = bounty? (1 Viewer)

They can't pay the fine or any portion of it directly to the NFL since fines are deducted from the players game checks until it is paid off. all they can do is pay the player back of they really intended to follow through with their statements. (I highly doubt they will)
All fines go to charity too, so the players can write it off. These guys are just running their mouths, knowing that they can't pay but it makes them look like some kind of hero to fans who aren't aware of the rule.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, if any other players or team officials try to compensate the player for a fine, they will be fined.

Great explanation. My question goes with what was said by Bruschi (spelling) after he offered to pay 1/3 of the fine. Please correct me if I am wrong but his words were (paraphrasing) that he will help pay the fine and for Brooks to keep hitting QB's like that. That would indicate a bounty would it not? As in condoning the future act of illegally hitting a QB.

I think you're really stretching this out based on some crap somebody said on TV - but theoretically, if someone (e.g. Bruschi) makes (and carries out) a standing offer to pay fines for illegal hits against QBs, yes, I'd say that's very similar to a bounty (though for a different purpose . . . a bounty is ostensibly to knock players out of a game for a competitive advantage whereas the fine payment is intended to criticize the changing of the game - but both ultimately have a similar result).

But we're talking pure hypotheticals here. Nobody is going to make and pay on a standing offer like that. And if someone really did, the league would take prompt action.

All fines go to charity too, so the players can write it off. These guys are just running their mouths, knowing that they can't pay but it makes them look like some kind of hero to fans who aren't aware of the rule.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, if any other players or team officials try to compensate the player for a fine, they will be fined.
So the talking heads don't understand either rule? :hihi:

So the talking heads don't understand either rule? :hihi:
They do, they know they won't have to actually pay.
It's like a drunk at a bar running his mouth about a TV personality and if they were here right now, I would do x,y and z to him, but in all reality they will never be in the same room with that person. They look like a big man to their imbecile friends and know they will never have to follow through.

Ray Lewis and Tedy Bruschi are talking ****... Why don't they man up and offer to pay all of his fine if it were to happen.....

I wasn't aware that the NFL has already settled this:
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed to PFT that it is not permitted for a player to pay another player’s fine. Anyone who’s fined by the NFL has to pay the fine himself, and no kind of reimbursement, by anyone, is allowed.
Which is exactly what I would expect from a sport league. /thread

So Brooks can pay his fine directly and Ray Lewis and Bruschi can mail him checks for 8k.

How come they don't re-reimburse every Defensive player that gets fined for an illegal hit week to week. Why don't they go empty their pockets for Dashon Goldson, or Brandon Merriweather.. to continue promoting their head hunting culture.

So I know the concussion class action lawsuit settled as to the class, though of course there could be those who opt out of the class.

But if I were a lawyer, couldn't I argue that the NFL makes gazillions from broadcasting revenue, and if the broadcasters or their employees pay player fines (all or in part) for shots to the head because the broadcasters or their employees think it makes for a "better" or more compelling game/TV broadcast, then the NFL is promoting shots to the head for profit through the back door?

Am I missing something here?

So I know the concussion class action lawsuit settled as to the class, though of course there could be those who opt out of the class.

But if I were a lawyer, couldn't I argue that the NFL makes gazillions from broadcasting revenue, and if the broadcasters or their employees pay player fines (all or in part) for shots to the head because the broadcasters or their employees think it makes for a "better" or more compelling game/TV broadcast, then the NFL is promoting shots to the head for profit through the back door?

Am I missing something here?

Some reality maybe.

I think that they should fine multiple players on the team,
suspend several coaches,
Suspend several players
and taint their season.

Seeing as how all of this can be done without need for evidence or a strong case.

sounded to me like teddy put a bounty on brees, "linebackers need to stick together, we got your backs keep on hitting him hard, toughen up drew brees" I do believe was his quote

That is bounty all the way. I cant believe Teddy and Ray Ray said that on national TV. They should be banned from being an analyst. They know good and well that was a penalty. The rules have changed. Stay away from the neck and head area.

I think Ray's "I'll pay half" is an example of why his analyst career with any major network will be short lived. Ray Lewis is passionate and can be at times very articulate. But he is simply chomping at the bit for a chance to make any major issue or event about him.

Perhaps he's a somewhat less shrewd version of Deion. Prime Time's narcissism has really mellowed over time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom