Payton quote (2 Viewers)

Who would we replace him with that will provide the same or better play for less or equal money? You have a choice between a Journeyman vet or an unproven rookie. From what I can remember about the 2 year deal he signed in 2006 it was a very reasonable deal for a starting RT.

A team has to be very careful about where they spend their money, you cannot have the best player at every position. I think the cost/benefit ratio for this guy is great assuming we can sign him for similar money he got on his last deal.

As far as his play I think it has been slightly above average, a B- if I had to put a grade on it. I can recall several times where the TV guys have singled him out on a good play he made. Several people have already mentioned that he is a very good open field blocker on screen plays, he is a good pass blocker and an average to slightly below average run blocker at the line.

I don't remember many games where Drew was running and ducking for his life all day. He moves around in the pocket to buy time, but this line set a team record for fewest sacks (or at least I think they did--they were on pace to going into yesterday's game).

What does Payton see? A lot more than we do after he watches film, grades the player depending on where the guy was supposed to be on the play, which is something we don't know.

It would be nice to have a road grader at RT, but Stinchcomb's play is solid, and on a team with so many needs--especially on defesne--he's the least of our problems. We need to resign him for continuity and so that we can address our real needs on the defensive side of the ball.

Stinchcomb has had a good season. He's not a dominating RT. But he's a solid starter. Not sure why more Saints fans can't see that.

Fix the defense. The offense is outstanding.

Now I wouldnt say "outstanding", but you are very correct when you say fix the defense.

I think we're a good center away from being able to dictate the line of scrimmage in the running game. Goodwin isn't the right guy and neither was Faine, although both are solid players. An Olin Kreutz or Nick Mangold-type would be great. Alex Mack out of Cal or Luigis out of Arkansas would be nice pick ups in the draft this year.
:plus-un2:

i really want Alex Mack, that would be great except hes going first round right? we can afford to go without him and probably find a great center late in the draft we can groom.
As for Stinchcomb, hes been great this year, hes improved beyond of what i thought he was capable of. I dont see why people hate him. He should be the starting RT for a long long time for this team.

:plus-un2:

i really want Alex Mack, that would be great except hes going first round right? we can afford to go without him and probably find a great center late in the draft we can groom.
As for Stinchcomb, hes been great this year, hes improved beyond of what i thought he was capable of. I dont see why people hate him. He should be the starting RT for a long long time for this team.
I can see a scenario where the top LBers , Safeties and CB's are gone by the time we pick. With so few draft choices, I can see Loomis moving down to the bottom of the 1st in that scenario (with a team that needs a good tackle maybe?) That's right where Mack would be a good choice, IMO.

Nicks, Mack and Evans would be a fantastic crew in the middle of the O-Line. Three guys built for blowing open holes and three guys known for being ill-mannered while they do it. What's not to love?

With so few draft picks, I really hope we fill our (few glaring) holes with Free Agents so we can use our draft picks on the BPA without any worries about filling a need at the same time. I am a strong believer in BPA, but with so few picks and so many holes, you better make sure that BPA fills a hole, too.

Stinchcomb is an unrestricted free agent and free to sign with any other team once the period opens at the end of February. The Saints gave him a two-year deal after the 2006 season and only one year as the full-time starter.

The 6-foot-5, 315-pound tackle has displayed continued improvement since becoming the starter, according to Payton.

“He’s a guy that’s had a good season and he’s one of the leaders in that group,” Payton said. “He’s certainly a guy we’d definitely want back – a priority guy that we want to keep here. He’s someone who I think has been real solid for us.”

i just dont understand this coach...does the view from the sideline look drastically different than from above. does this guy watch film?

stinch has drew running and ducking for his life all day. the only good thing he does is getting out on screens. all runs to the right on pitches were horrible...in fact if there was one offensive play design that i had to pinpoint as costing us the season, it would have to be the sweep to the right. botched every time

get a more skilled guy in there....and some fricking understanding that the oline needs improvement

Drew Brees was the least sacked QB in the league over the past 3 years and you're complaining about the OL and how it needs improvement? What team have you been watching? From what I see, we have CBs and Safeties that have trouble covering a high school wideout and a DL that can't pressure the passer to save their life. And to call out Stinchcomb? Man you must be drunk or something.

I like stinch. Maybe we can improve at center and left tackle, but they are not priorities. If we retain everybody, I would be fine with it.

Priorities on offense is simply installing a better rushing attack, maybe drafting or bringing in a big bruising back should probably be the only offensive addition.

All other focus must be on defense.

Stinch is just fine. IMO it's J. Brown that has lost a few steps and atttitude he once had. Can we please focus on defense. It's not like the offense is ranked #1 or anything

stinch doesn't give up sacks per se but brees has gotten so adept at stepping in once stinch's guy blows past him that you almost think its a designed play. its drew's greatness here that makes up for the issue. but imagine if we gave drew a clean pocket againts good teams....he would tom bradify them.

every time drew slides up, since he's a shorter qb, it diminishes the passing lane and creates more blind spots for the qb...these are his primary problems in all those ints....

so while i also agree that brown is no great player, bonehead really, on the other side, stinch's weakness should not be overlooked. its just that our qb covers his butt better than he can cover brown's. expected since he's a right handed qb.

now if you want to make the argument, dont' spend money or resources on a RT whne defense is the issue i'm there with you.

payton going out of his way to applaud stinch is a sign he's gonna sign him longterm. not a good move when we have a competent replacement in strief cheaper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom