Payton quote (3 Viewers)

10-6 and the playoffs if we had a pass rush or DBs at all to hold a lead against Chicago and Carolina.

FIX THE DEFENSE
And Minnisota, Washington and Denver.

Yeah, the offense really let us down this year :covri:

After Payton's 1st season Stincomb re-signed a 2 year deal for a very reasonable sum. He came out and said he essentially gave us a home town discount because he really wanted to stay. I would imagine the front office and particularly Payton love number 78. You look at most swing or screen passes that lead to big gains they usually go to the right side and Stinchcomb is usually throwing a key block. I think Stinchcomb is also smart enough to realize that his style suits very few offenses. If he is asked to protect a pocket with a traditional drop back passer that is not going to work out too well. He also does not excel in the run game. Stinchcomb is in the perfect offense for his skills getting out in space. I think he'll re-sign and be the starter at RT for a good few more years

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97250&highlight=stinchcomb&page=2

With respect, I cannot disagree more on Stitchcomb. The guy, while not an all pro, has done an excellent job overall this year. He is solid, rarely makes mental mistakes, and the proof is the fact the Drew has been sacked like 12 times, a NFL record low this year. Give the guy some credit, along with the rest of the line.
In terms of running totals, I believe that is more in the scheme and less in the personnel. These guys are taught to pass block first and the running game, to date, has taken a back seat. I believe that will change next year however.

I agree with the majority, Stinch is a fine RT and is worth keeping for sure. I think it will be important to lock him up before he hits the market though because stupid Tampa always seems to bring in all of our guys to drive the price tag up.

Stinch is ok. It's not like Brees was under constant pressure all season long. The line kept him clean compared to what other teams have. Stinch doesn't get called for holding that much, unlike some of our other superstar O-linemen whom I'll refrain from singling out.

We're spoiled when it comes to O Line play.

Stinchcomb has had a good season. He's not a dominating RT. But he's a solid starter. Not sure why more Saints fans can't see that.

Fix the defense. The offense is outstanding.

Yeah I dont understand what other people are seing, Stinch is solid...very good at getting out on the screen game and is a pretty solid right tackle...he has improved...most of you guys hold grudges against players anyway, this isnt the Stinch from the Haslett days, he has grown into a solid NFL Tackle...and continuity on the line is a must and there arent alot of players out there that are gonna be able to replace him, we gotta develop the guys we have behind him if we want to replace him, cause best believe what ever NFL team is looking at him is not looking at him as a backup....

I'm with those that say he had a good year and should not be addressed till the defense is fixed. He's gotten much better. Great screen protection.

You are pointing in the wrong direction if you are pointing at Stinch. He has vastly improved over the past two years and was solid this year. Just wondering, who along the O-line led the team in false starts and holding calls? Who had the most missed assignments? Let's look there first.

You are pointing in the wrong direction if you are pointing at Stinch. He has vastly improved over the past two years and was solid this year. Just wondering, who along the O-line led the team in false starts and holding calls? Who had the most missed assignments? Let's look there first.

Isn't that our great pro-bowler?

In hindsight the O line payed great ,,I know we complain when we go up against good defenses but when you compare the amount of times Brees was sacked against other teams we were exceptional.

I would be in favor of keeping our offense 100% the same personnel-wise for 2009 if it meant we had vast improvements on defense. Also shore up our play-calling a little bit. Both will be key for success next year.

Stinch is always the guy out in front of that little screen pass that we love to run and he always hits his man in space. That is extremely hard to do for a lineman. How many times do you see lineman blow blocks on a screen??? 7 out of 10? He's a solid player. You don't see him getting called for penalties like other members of our offensive line.

I would be in favor of keeping our offense 100% the same personnel-wise for 2009 if it meant we had vast improvements on defense. Also shore up our play-calling a little bit. Both will be key for success next year.
I think we're a good center away from being able to dictate the line of scrimmage in the running game. Goodwin isn't the right guy and neither was Faine, although both are solid players. An Olin Kreutz or Nick Mangold-type would be great. Alex Mack out of Cal or Luigis out of Arkansas would be nice pick ups in the draft this year.

He may not be the best but he is smart and does not cost a bunch of penalties, and knows his assignments.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom