Peacock getting an NFL playoff game (1 Viewer)

I agree. I didn’t clarify. The point is that you used to be able to turn on the TV set and watch pretty much anything you want for free. You still had to watch the commercial because that is how TV was able to pay for it self.

But this is something totally different. This is like a drug deal. You get the victim hooked on the drug. Then you start charging for the Drug. I would think that most people would understand that this is certainly not honorable.

To me, this is a symptom of people who have become selfish and self centered. Organizations, like the NFL, are made up of people. So it is no surprise the organizations become selfish and self centered.

Honesty and self centered mix like water and gasoline.

And now you're having to pay for it while still getting commercials.

Some of that has changed though. A lot of their previously free content has moved under their premium services, so you're usually better off getting the basic tier service.

I didn't know that Peacock had a free tier. I thought it was just Premium and Premium Plus, in addition to NBC and NBC Sports apps that offer access to certain content, connected through a TV provider account.

I subscribe to Peacock periodically - easy to add and cancel through Apple - but I understand the gripes about the NFL expanding out to individual streaming platforms for certain broadcast rights. Still, this is the direction the technology is going, and whether people like it or not, it's an outcome of the a la carte model so many people wanted.

With each passing season I'm able to watch less & less NFL football.
The league is doing a great job to gradually wean me off of the product completely with no withdrawals.
Same.....I'm down to just the saints games pretty much and I only see 3-4 of those these days because I'm out of market.

This is where the NFL is headed. In the near future all playoff games will be on a paid streaming services such as Peacock, Paramount +, Amazon, Apple TV and so on.
I disagree. I read something recently about MLB and how they have permanently damaged their fan base by limiting local broadcasts and adding too many blackout rules. Young people aren't watching so they aren't becoming baseball fans.

The NFL grew in large part due to their smart ideas about pooling the TV money (so small market teams like the Saints could remain competitive) and by always providing local team broadcasts on free over-the-air television. I don't see either of those things changing (as noted even this Peacock game will be on free OTA stations in the local markets of the teams that are playing).

So yes, many games will be headed behind paywalls but for Saints games including playoffs as long as you live in the area, you'll probably get free access. The NFL continues to have mass audiences for playoff games and the Super Bowl. They are making tons of money from the eyeballs watching commercials. This Wild Card game is a way to get a few extra bucks from NBC for a game that wouldn't have had a huge audience for advertisers.

With each passing season I'm able to watch less & less NFL football.
The league is doing a great job to gradually wean me off of the product completely with no withdrawals.

Where as, I'm able to watch more games and especially more games that I care about. Living out of market meant finding a place that was showing the Saints. Go back enough years and that often wasn't possible.

I got DirecTV entirely so I could get Sunday Ticket. Would have preferred another option while still being glad to have any option, at all. Sold our house to move closer to downtown and was able to get streaming Sunday Ticket at the apartment address. When we moved into our new house, got lucky that the streaming auto renewed the next couple of seasons without having to verify the address, which also meant not having to resubscribe to DirecTV. Now that it's on YouTube, it's cheaper for me than what I paid last year to DTV, and accessible to more people.

I also like having options to watch other teams than those shown in the market I live in. For years, all any of us could watch were the handful of games that came on in our area. Now, it's increasingly easier to watch any game you want, albeit at a cost and a willingness to subscribe to various platforms.

It is in the eyes of pro sports, that’s for sure.

Unfortunately, streaming is still quite unreliable for a large number of people who would otherwise watch a game on an antenna for free.

Streaming is how the NFL plans to take things fully global (because that’s where there are untapped mega billions). They will continue to expand the global games and I’d imagine streaming-only will expand to eventually include things like the Super Bowl.

The Amazon Prime games were atrocious. The interface was bad and I lost connection a number of times due to an issue with the prime app.

It’s the future - but sometimes the future sucks.

It’s the future - but sometimes the future sucks.

Excellent!!!!

Where as, I'm able to watch more games and especially more games that I care about. Living out of market meant finding a place that was showing the Saints. Go back enough years and that often wasn't possible.

I got DirecTV entirely so I could get Sunday Ticket. Would have preferred another option while still being glad to have any option, at all. Sold our house to move closer to downtown and was able to get streaming Sunday Ticket at the apartment address. When we moved into our new house, got lucky that the streaming auto renewed the next couple of seasons without having to verify the address, which also meant not having to resubscribe to DirecTV. Now that it's on YouTube, it's cheaper for me than what I paid last year to DTV, and accessible to more people.

I also like having options to watch other teams than those shown in the market I live in. For years, all any of us could watch were the handful of games that came on in our area. Now, it's unceasingly easier to watch any game you want, albeit at a cost and a willingness to subscribe to various platforms.
Same here. I've lived outside of NOLA for 40 years. I got DTV as soon as I bought a house and put up with the rain fade and high prices just so I could have Sunday Ticket and watch my Saints every Sunday. But the picture quality and DVR were good and I loved watching other out of market games. Fast forward a few years ago, I moved and was able to get my kids to sign up for ST student streaming for me. Now that YouTubeTV has ST, I can go back to the good old days when those games are part of my regular TV setup - with DVR, all in one app - and enjoy any game I want to watch.

I realize I am lucky to be able to afford this and I know everyone cannot. But I seriously doubt the NFL will every remove most games/playoff games from free TV. It's how they build the enterprise they have today.

Same here. I've lived outside of NOLA for 40 years. I got DTV as soon as I bought a house and put up with the rain fade and high prices just so I could have Sunday Ticket and watch my Saints every Sunday. But the picture quality and DVR were good and I loved watching other out of market games. Fast forward a few years ago, I moved and was able to get my kids to sign up for ST student streaming for me. Now that YouTubeTV has ST, I can go back to the good old days when those games are part of my regular TV setup - with DVR, all in one app - and enjoy any game I want to watch.

I realize I am lucky to be able to afford this and I know everyone cannot. But I seriously doubt the NFL will every remove most games/playoff games from free TV. It's how they build the enterprise they have today.
It’s not the League taking the games off broadcast. It’s the local networks never letting them go.
At this moment, this is the only opportunity to advertise their shows.

I just wanted to clarify my earlier post to this thread I am seeing a lot of post arguing over the fact that this is PPV or not PPV. A pay per view discussion was never intended to be the subject of my post.

The point I wanted to make is this up until now all of the NFL games were shown on national TV networks. These are networks that have I don’t know thousands hundreds of thousands of people watching. The people watching these national networks do not pay a per month charge to see what’s on the national network.

This year it has become clear that the NFL wants to move some of these games to paid net work or paid streaming services exclusively. These are networks that require a monthly payment of some kind and they do not have the national exposure that the national TV networks have.

My understanding at this time is that the prime TV network requires a subscription service a monthly subscription service. In other words, you must pay for this each month.

What this means is that as a fan, I can no longer watch my favorite NFL game on the TV without being enrolled in a subscription service.

Agree with all of that.

I've been overall pleased with YouTubeTV and it works out well for me that they landed Sunday Ticket. While it got better over time, I occasionally encountered problems with Sunday Ticket streaming from DTV. This could be as minor as the app being buggy to missing part or all of games because of technical problems. Seemed like DTV never quite put the resources into evolving and bolstering their ST streaming platform.

I agree. I didn’t clarify. The point is that you used to be able to turn on the TV set and watch pretty much anything you want for free. You still had to watch the commercial because that is how TV was able to pay for it self.

But this is something totally different. This is like a drug deal. You get the victim hooked on the drug. Then you start charging for the Drug. I would think that most people would understand that this is certainly not honorable.

To me, this is a symptom of people who have become selfish and self centered. Organizations, like the NFL, are made up of people. So it is no surprise the organizations become selfish and self centered.

Honesty and self centered mix like water and gasoline.
I don't know about honorable or whatever, but it is business. I mean, they're gonna do everything they can to monetize their products. It's the new business model now for better or worse.

I don't see how this is any worse than games on ESPN which you USED to have to get through an expensive plan with a bunch of other channels you didn't watch for some period of time in a contract. The way things are now, I can subscribe to ESPN / NFL network etc. when I want and only during the season. This has been WAY cheaper than cable for me and it allows me to streamline what I choose to watch.

I knew sooner or later that the NFL would realize it does not need the networks. The networks have needed the NFL to remain relevant. It is the inevitable march of change.

Still, I bet they keep the networks because the networks will continue to pay big $$$ to stay relevant .... but the writing is on the wall.

I also like having options to watch other teams than those shown in the market I live in. For years, all any of us could watch were the handful of games that came on in our area. Now, it's increasingly easier to watch any game you want, albeit at a cost and a willingness to subscribe to various platforms.
Yes, I do realize that there are more options to being able to tune in to NFL games. But I am already paying more than I can afford to watch TV. I'm certainly not going to add an extra service just so that I won't miss every Saints game. I truly miss the days when commercial television allowed me to sit in my living room each Sunday at noon and watch Saints football. Back in the day it was CBS if it was an NFC game, and NBC if we had an AFC team in town.

Yep... I'm old. :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom