Penning and or the scheme looked much better tonight. (1 Viewer)

Speaking of bull rush how about a linebacker steamrolling Ruiz? Yuck.
Yeah, don't know what the hell happened with that. I know Jahri being in house was supposed to help with Ruiz's development but damn, don't know what Jahri can tell him to improve on that. Dude's smaller than him, throw him out the club.

As Alan12 said, there was improvement but it was somewhat marginal. I could say that it was unlikely to be a complete night and day transformation of the Penning we saw last week into a Saints version of Joe Thomas. If the general sense was that he was someone who needed reps to refine technique, become more consistent and develop better awareness, then that's a job of several months (and years), rather than a week. But, small improvements are better than no improvements or getting even worse - so that's the very slim silver lining.

As a whole, the Oline has been disappointing. I can think of reasons and context as to why. But in the end, it's a results business and in terms of contribution to the ultimate result of winning games (2-0, Yay!!), the Oline is making that harder, rather than easier. I believe it should get better, but the level of confidence isn't incredibly high right now. I'm sure we'll look better against poorer defensive units, but in a vacuum, this OL is at best middle of the pack in the NFL. "No, they're the worst of all time!!!" I can already hear some of you say in reactionary and hyperbolic fury. I suggest casting your eyes on the OL's we just faced or around the league and middle of the pack is probably about right.

As Alan12 said, there was improvement but it was somewhat marginal. I could say that it was unlikely to be a complete night and day transformation of the Penning we saw last week into a Saints version of Joe Thomas. If the general sense was that he was someone who needed reps to refine technique, become more consistent and develop better awareness, then that's a job of several months (and years), rather than a week. But, small improvements are better than no improvements or getting even worse - so that's the very slim silver lining.

As a whole, the Oline has been disappointing. I can think of reasons and context as to why. But in the end, it's a results business and in terms of contribution to the ultimate result of winning games (2-0, Yay!!), the Oline is making that harder, rather than easier. I believe it should get better, but the level of confidence isn't incredibly high right now. I'm sure we'll look better against poorer defensive units, but in a vacuum, this OL is at best middle of the pack in the NFL. "No, they're the worst of all time!!!" I can already hear some of you say in reactionary and hyperbolic fury. I suggest casting your eyes on the OL's we just faced or around the league and middle of the pack is probably about right.
OLs around the league do seem to be floundering this season. God knows CLE was getting abused by PIT last night as well.

OLs around the league do seem to be floundering this season. God knows CLE was getting abused by PIT last night as well.
Yeah, this is one of those context things I mentioned.

In general it's easier to break stuff than to build it. Building competent OL's - with their intricate internal teamwork and timing, within a wider of context of working within the rhythm of an offense - takes more time than to organise a set of destroyers to wreak havoc. This is more so in this age where there is less padded/ hitting practices running up to the season. So I would expect around the middle third of the season the OL's and offenses will begin to improve a bit vs defenses which are more ready early.

We have been sacked 8 times in two games. And we have doled out 7. When we see a good OL, we will truly appreciate it, but it won’t be fun.

We are 2-0, but we can’t kid ourselves that it hasn’t been nearly as ugly on offense as it’s been good on defense. If we play a playoff caliber teams, we are 0-2.

On a positive note, we found ways to lose those games last year. And we don’t play a whole lot of playoff caliber teams this year. We just need to keep finding ways to beat bad teams - because that’s mostly what ls on the schedule.

We are 2-0, but we can’t kid ourselves that it hasn’t been nearly as ugly on offense as it’s been good on defense. If we play a playoff caliber teams, we are 0-2.

On a positive note, we found ways to lose those games last year. And we don’t play a whole lot of playoff caliber teams this year. We just need to keep finding ways to beat bad teams - because that’s mostly what ls on the schedule.
I think Titans are probably a playoff calibre team. I'd say we played two playoff calibre defenses, sadly both Atlanta and Tampa Bay are strong defensively too

Penning got under the skin of #96 DeShawn Williams last night. He slammed Penning right into Shaq Thompson's leg as he was getting up. Thompson probably done for the season.

While Penning got beat again on an inside move and Ruiz got humiliated by a linebacker, the biggest problem with the offensive line was playing as a team in pass protection. They are bad at picking up blitzes and really bad at picking up stunts.

Given the really bad protection, I don't understand why they insist on dropping Carr straight back every time. They need to change the launch point from play to play and not allow the defense to tee off on one spot. That should give a bit more time for something to develop downfield.
Even before the completion, I got very excited about the one roll out pass I saw last night. Absolutely need to include a few more of those per game until we get the O Line issues mitigated (I think we need more talent for a true "fix")

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom