Peyton Manning & New Orleans (1 Viewer)

I moved away more than 20 years ago. A lot can happen in 20 years. You establish new work environments, new friendships in new places (especially your college years and a love for your alma mater). You learn to like things and places that you never thought you would like before you left New Orleans, for some people anyway. There seems to be two types of people that leave New Orleans, those who run back as quick as they can and those who are invigorated by the change. Can you imagine how much has happened in these men's lives over the last 20+ years? Meeting spouses and having children in new places, new levels of fame and success achieved, Super Bowl wins with non New Orleans franchises, and so on. I know there will be a lot of people who don't like or understand what I'm going to say, but having experienced some of these life changing events after New Orleans has changed me. It added new layers to who I've grown in to being at this point. I will always have a soft spot for my hometown. I could never think of supporting an NFL team other than the Saints. But, as a person, I feel like I'm a blend of places now. I love where I am (Montgomery, TX) and actually claim it as "one of my hometowns". It's part of my story, and a part I actually love (and choose to continue) as well. With all of their success I'm sure they've experienced similar feelings, multiplied many times over.

I moved away more than 20 years ago. A lot can happen in 20 years. You establish new work environments, new friendships in new places (especially your college years and a love for your alma mater). You learn to like things and places that you never thought you would like before you left New Orleans, for some people anyway. There seems to be two types of people that leave New Orleans, those who run back as quick as they can and those who are invigorated by the change. Can you imagine how much has happened in these men's lives over the last 20+ years? Meeting spouses and having children in new places, new levels of fame and success achieved, Super Bowl wins with non New Orleans franchises, and so on. I know there will be a lot of people who don't like or understand what I'm going to say, but having experienced some of these life changing events after New Orleans has changed me. It added new layers to who I've grown in to being at this point. I will always have a soft spot for my hometown. I could never think of supporting an NFL team other than the Saints. But, as a person, I feel like I'm a blend of places now. I love where I am (Montgomery, TX) and actually claim it as "one of my hometowns". It's part of my story, and a part I actually love (and choose to continue) as well. With all of their success I'm sure they've experienced similar feelings, multiplied many times over.
I agree with this statement i was raised in MS. but born in New Orleans but i lived in Angleton Texas for almost 42 years. I consider it home and I just recently moved back to MS. to be closer to family due to my health but i still consider Angleton as home.

A
Random but good question…I don’t think so. I think they both more or less gravitated to their college towns and their dad’s old college stumping grounds.

I don’t know them at all, but kind of to what you’re hinting at, I’ve never quite viewed them as a New Orleans family. If anything, they’re more of a Mississippi family that happened to live in New Orleans for a bit and had their kids go to Newman. Even the way they all talk sounds more Mississippi than New Orleans.

I could be dead wrong, but that’s just my viewpoint from afar.
Archie and Olivia are 100% all-in New Orleans. As is Cooper and family. They could live anywhere in the world, but they live in and promote the city.

When we beat the colts in the SB didn’t he say something along the lines of “if I had to close a Super Bowl I’m glad it was to that team”

Peyton said that after he lost to the Saints in the super bowl, he couldn't be a fan of theres any more. Sad to say it would be great to have him as a saints fan. I think he loves the City and the food but saints no........

Peyton said that after he lost to the Saints in the super bowl, he couldn't be a fan of theres any more. Sad to say it would be great to have him as a saints fan. I think he loves the City and the food but saints no........
Yet Brett Favre is still a Saints fan. To each their own

I left when I was 17 and was away for 17 years
I always had a sense that I would return to ‘give back’
I’d had a mostly pleasant experience growing up here
My sister, otoh, left and never looked back she’s fine to visit but no inclination to move back (did not have the best HS experience)

And while I said what I said - if there was a ‘move up’ (another city with diverse society/culture) that was affordable, I’d be gone with a quickness

I’ve been gone for almost 30 yrs. I still call it home

I've been gone 35 and do refer to it as home from time to time....I still have lots of family there and visit fairly often (at least once sometimes twice a year).....

That said, I would never move back, mainly because of the heat/weather....After I discovered the beach (ocean) and mountains it changed everything for me.....

I miss the food with all my heart though, and also some people as well...

Still my favorite place.

Peyton stood up after Katrina but feelings for New Orleans? I can't tell if Payton Manning even has feelings outside of consternation of things not going his way in football.

When Peyton played against us in the Super Bowl, I think that he played down the New Orleans connection because he was playing against us and didn't want to show favoritism.

This is a subject that pops up on this forum every so often.

Prefatorily, everyone in the Manning family seems like an admirable and decent person. Compliments to the family.

Some people leave but in some ways never leave--the city's cultural claim is too strong. Some people leave and never look back. And some people don't really leave because they were always just passing through.

Lots of famous people were born and grew up in New Orleans. Any number of athletes including Peyton and Eli Manning, the extraordinary actress Patricia Clarkson, Harry Connick, Jr., writers like Walter Isaacson and Michael Lewis, Supreme Court justice Amy Coney Barrett, and recently retired New York Times executive editor Dean Baquet. (And if you want to expand the list, you can add journalist Nick Lemann, who once was the dean of the Columbia Journalism School, the late Anne Rice, and former Harvard Law School dean Robert Clark.)

Isaacson, who truly could live anywhere and may maintain a house or apartment in New York, has returned. He teaches at Tulane and lives in New Orleans at least part of the year, if not full-time. On the other hand, you rarely hear of Michael Lewis returning unless it is a speaking engagement at a writers' conference. With Clarkson (who went to LSU for two years before Fordham and Yale Drama) and Connick, you still see their emotional ties to New Orleans--again, the city's cultural claim in how it stamped them and how they still identify with it.

Not so with Peyton and Eli who seem to have little connection with New Orleans--and I have no idea what kind of accent they have. The city has extraordinary diversity in neighborhood, class, race, and family prominence that blend to create still rigid social gradations. But even considering that diversity, the Mannings culturally have always come across as more Mississippi than New Orleans. In the battle between Mississippi's cultural claim and New Orleans's, Mississippi's primacy was never in doubt. That makes sense with the parents. But though Peyton and Eli grew up here, they really don't seem to be from here. There is just nothing New Orleans about them except for their birth certificate and high school jersey.

And though Archie and Cooper have stayed in the city, both have done very well financially by doing so. (And Cooper is probably different. Unlike his brothers, Cooper has lived his entire live in the city and married into a New Orleans family.) And again, Peyton and Eli seem like fine people. I am not passing any type of moral judgment or being critical of them (unless we want to talk about Peyton as a television commentator for the Summer Olympics).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom