Peyton says he wants balance between running and passing, but... (1 Viewer)

Forest

Banned
Reaction score
I just caught some of his press conference. He said he wants balance between the rushing game and passing game, but you have to be smart enough to adjust and take what the defense gives you. He said it was tough for Reggie and Deuce yesterday because Tampa had 7-8 in the box all game long and many sometimes 9 men in the box.

This is very refreshing to hear, actually. Sounded like he was sending a clear message to the league: If you don't let my boys run, we're going to air raid you like crazy.

I'm starting to wonder if the league is not respecting Drew Brees and the WRs. Maybe with Horn out, they figured we'd struggle. I wouldn't have it any other way.

On the Reggie front, he said Reggie is doing fine and wants to do some things better and that will come. He also said it's silly to set the expectations so high on one guy. He said this is a team game, they work as a unit and no one man is bigger than the team, and they're 6-2.

Well Deuce has like 123 yards on 15 carries last time so it would be a good idea to load up 8 in the box.

Well Deuce has like 123 yards on 15 carries last time so it would be a good idea to load up 8 in the box.

Even if it results in 31 points and WRs being WIDE open? Either way, I'm happy. It's fun being able to strike from the ground or the air.

I mostly tend to agree, because you want to do what works. When common sense prevails over the asinine (ie, perfect run/pass balance, "randy ratio") I tend to agree. HOWEVER, many other RBs face stacked boxes and do well. The difference is that they keep giving the ball to their guys, not to the point of overkill, but just enough to keep defenses HONEST. We decide "screw it, let's just throw the ball 55 times."

Not really. We threw it 32 times, ran it 30 or so give or take a one or two. I think we kept it honest.

Last edited:
I mostly tend to agree, because you want to do what works. When common sense prevails over the asinine (ie, perfect run/pass balance, "randy ratio") I tend to agree. HOWEVER, many other RBs face stacked boxes and do well. The difference is that they keep giving the ball to their guys, not to the point of overkill, but just enough to keep defenses HONEST. We decide "screw it, let's just throw the ball 55 times."

What? Where are you coming from?

Yesterday we ran the ball 29 times and passed 32 times. That doesn't count 6 scrambles by Brees.

Check out other games, where we didn't reach 10 called runs until nearly the fourth quarter (Green Bay). Check out games like Baltimore, where selling out to the pass put us in a hole so deep, that it further necessitated the pass. Check out the Philly game, where at the first sign of distress, we went pass-wacky.

It's either been significantly more called passes, or fairly close to even.

I kinda like a coach who goes with what works.

But maybe that's just me. :scratch:

FWIW, we have ran 518 plays. 286 passes attempted (around 55% of the plays) and run it 224 times. Atlanta leads the league in rush attempts at 283 and the Packers have thrown it the most (314).

Of the top ten teams in terms of attempted passes, only two have winning records. The Saints and Colts.

I cobbled those together from NFL.com

FWIW, we have ran 518 plays. 286 passes attempted (around 55% of the plays) and run it 224 times. Atlanta leads the league in rush attempts at 283 and the Packers have thrown it the most (314).

Of the top ten teams in terms of attempted passes, only two have winning records. The Saints and Colts.

I cobbled those together from NFL.com

That is a very simplistic analysis, because it doesn't take into account that a fair number of our passes are actually designed to be a "long-handoff", a high-percentage short completion going to a RB or TE in "space". This type of offense SPREADS the D, and I think it is the best type of offense to run in the NFL, though others get peeved with what they perceive to be a "dink-and-dunk" offense, without really understanding its BRILLIANCE.

That is a very simplistic analysis, because it doesn't take into account that a fair number of our passes are actually designed to be a "long-handoff", a high-percentage short completion going to a RB or TE in "space". This type of offense SPREADS the D, and I think it is the best type of offense to run in the NFL, though others get peeved with what they perceive to be a "dink-and-dunk" offense, without really understanding its BRILLIANCE.

It's not an "analysis". It's a few "stats" from NFL.com.

But "Thanks".

I'll take a dink and dunk anytime.. look what got San Fran their dynasty.

It's not an "analysis". It's a few "stats" from NFL.com.

But "Thanks".

Okay, agreed, you provided some stats without any analysis, and so they really tell little in terms of how teams are approaching the game. For instance, if you were to limit your findings to just the first half of play, then the stats would not be skewed by teams that are ahead in the second half (possibly with a heavier dose of passing in the first two quarters), and then pound away on the ground in the last quarter to kill the clock. (In reality, I think the good teams rarely do that anymore, keeping the opponents guessing right up to the last whistle, unless it truly is a blow-out.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom