Potential HC Openings (And Where The Saints Rank) (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Right now, Carolina and Vegas are the only job openings at the moment.
But in the coming weeks a few more will be opening.
NY Jets
NE Patriots
Tennessee
LA Chargers
NY Giants
Washington
Chicago
Tampa Bay
New Orleans

11 openings total.
In my opinion, the Chargers are the top job because of Herbert. After that, it’s prettier much up for grabs in my opinion.
Washington and NY are always attractive given the NFCE, but I think having to face Hurts and Dak on a consistent basis could deter some.
I do think the Saints job is somewhat attractive given that the division is nearly up for grabs in the long term.
And I know it’s crazy to say, but I think a young offensive minded coach would come here to try and break Payton’s records here.

It's also possible that an offensive minded coach could look at the players we have and wonder why in the world aren't we scoring more and winning games, especially with our opponents.

At the same time, I could see a potential coach being worried about our cap situation and draft picks. On the same note, if we have a top 10 pick, we'd be in a position to take a top QB and be a year away from truly being able to rebuild.

Just my .02 but I think Vrabel is safe in TEN--and if he goes anywhere it would be NE.
Daboll is probably fine for another year with NYG, too.
There are still a chunk of games that can change things yet though too.
I think people overrate the Chargers HC job in general, obviously Herbert does change the math/situation, but that is a notoriously bad ownership situation.
Chicago might be the best situation--given the draft capital they have.

Just my .02 but I think Vrabel is safe in TEN--and if he goes anywhere it would be NE.
Daboll is probably fine for another year with NYG, too.
There are still a chunk of games that can change things yet though too.
I think people overrate the Chargers HC job in general, obviously Herbert does change the math/situation, but that is a notoriously bad ownership situation.
Chicago might be the best situation--given the draft capital they have.
I get the feeling that people want the Chargers job to be good, but I can see the Chargers becoming like the Jets because of the ownership.

I see Chicago, but from what I’ve heard, ownership is cheap over there as well.

The way our owner is open to providing funds.
A established foundation of supporting the coach even when you shouldnt support the coach
A passionate fan base.

It just feels like to me... if Jon Gruden gets vindicated hes going to throw his name into the pot to try and come here... I still want Eric.

Everyone says Belichick is getting fired/traded/quitting/whatever but I'm not sure I buy that. I think he and ownership are both in on the tank. They know Mac's not the guy, especially in today's NFL, and they know to have the best chance of getting their guy, they have to be in the top 5, not top 15/20. All the smoke about Kraft/Belichick wanting to part doesn't really add up considering the contract extension, my friend who is a die hard Patriots fan :sick: says a lot of the fans believe Belichick is intentionally tanking.

I think the job openings:

1. Chicago. Two top 5 picks, $60m in cap, all their best players still under contract. A dream for a new HC.
2. Chargers. Herbert and a very talented team. Owners suck though.
3. New Orleans. I think of the job openings I feel 100% confident in happening, the Saints are in third place if Loomis does the right thing and fires Allen and Carmichael. The cap is a mess, but there is young talent on both sides of the balls and if they give their new HC some guarantees for the first two or three seasons, he can rebuild and not feel pressure.
4. ?
?? etc.

Carolina will always be dead last, regardless of other openings. Terrible owner, no first round pick, and a roster devoid of talent.

Where is the information about the Saints having a head coaching opening coming from?

Where is the information about the Saints having a head coaching opening coming from?
Wishful thinking, but you know that. Kinda like when you think our mid-round rook QB will be the future answer at the position for a second time :ROFLMAO:

Wishful thinking, but you know that. Kinda like when you think our mid-round rook QB will be the future answer at the position for a second time :ROFLMAO:
I think any player drafted can be a player for us, its only the QB that gets treated like a wasted pick by people on here.

I’m assuming Allen is let go.
I don't think that's likely to happen, yet. I think they'll get rid of Carmichael, and give Allen another year....hire a young, bright OC with big prospects, and if Allen falters...we have the heir apparent. I dunno....I just don't think they fire Allen yet.

All depends on how much control Loomis wants to give them. If Loomis wants to remain in control then that limits our options as to who we can attract.

Lots of really good replies straight out of the box on this thread.

I think any player drafted can be a player for us, its only the QB that gets treated like a wasted pick by people on here.
It is when you have no history of developing them. Out of the hundreds of QBs drafted over the years, you're talking about a minimal number that became elite past the second round. You have your Dak, Brady, and now Purdy, but those are anomalies. Also, I don't think it's talent as much as the team is committed to your development.
A first or second round represents an investment priority; if you do not get it right, you will do your best to get a return. Hence, the reason we maintain hope for Turner or Dav (before he was released).
This is especially salient when we don't have an offensive staff capable of coaching up an undeveloped rook. Green Bay is great at this, as is San Fran.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom