Randy Rhoads Isolated guitar tracks (4 Viewers)

woohoosaint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
As you may have guessed from my avatar...I'm a huge Randy Rhoads fan.

I came across these isolated guitar tracks that were posted on YouTube from several years ago that I thought were pretty amazing.

Listening to these tracks gives me a deeper appreciation for how good RR was.

Crazy Train:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ORSCJtIDU

Mr. Crowley:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFVPl9025JY

Diary of a Madman:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5038E8C34FFA6878&feature=plpp&v=zB7cWZGAiWw

Over the Mountain:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5038E8C34FFA6878&v=2ICdOQlxGcI&feature=plpp

Flying High Again:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UE6GWZ53hrA

I Don't Know:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=5aLJf2Ox4PY&list=PL5038E8C34FFA6878

Sorry...I don't know how to embed videos :(

This is the first post I've ever subscribed to. I Don't Know and Mr. Crowley are the only songs that can give me goosebumps every time I listen. RR is rock guitar, with Zakk Wylde a close 2nd carrying on his tradition.

This is the first post I've ever subscribed to. I Don't Know and Mr. Crowley are the only songs that can give me goosebumps every time I listen. RR is rock guitar, with Zakk Wylde a close 2nd carrying on his tradition.

Here's a video of Zakk paying tribute to Randy. He seems to get choked up when speaking about Randy's legacy. The second part of the video is pretty funny,though :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1OJe4lZyLXA

Have you seen that one before?

awesome, i'd never heard those before. listening to it, i have to say i never realized how much flanger he used. it sounds awesome the way he has it all orchestrated & layered into his stuff, which is really cool, because to me the flange is normally something you can easily overdo.

at any rate, he was an amazing rock guitarist who left way too soon. RIP

awesome, i'd never heard those before. listening to it, i have to say i never realized how much flanger he used. it sounds awesome the way he has it all orchestrated & layered into his stuff, which is really cool, because to me the flange is normally something you can easily overdo.

at any rate, he was an amazing rock guitarist who left way too soon. RIP

I agree that the way that he used the flanger was to add depth to the wall of sound that he created in the studio.

There were some extra notes in the 1st solo of Mr Crowley that I never knew was there and I've listened to that record probably a thousand times over 32 years!

I was listening to those a couple of months ago while looking for new (old) live footage from that box set that was release a year or so ago. They are really cool. Loved DOAM the most though, the middle acoustic section was always my favorite. It's sombre yet the tension builds throughout the part. It's just as powerful on it's own.

Also cool are the Eddie VH isolated tracks.

I could be wrong, but it seems like he used a wah in his sound. He probably had the pedal pressed around halfway and when he hit solos, he put it forward all the way? One thing about Randy's tone that everyone could agree on, is that it sounded like crap. Its not a tone many actually want because it was just heavily distorted. I know he did use an MXR 10 band EQ as well as an MXR Plus distortion pedal. I've often seen guys incorporate a wah into it but their wah "leaks" from what is heard. He also used a chorus pedal. One guy used 2 chorus pedals to add depth which sounded pretty good with no wah. But his tone is not extemely hard to obtain. Not like trying to get Jimmy page, Peter Green or some type of tone where the "fingers" produce the tone as well.

Now with that said, his musicality is by far one of the best out there. To incorporate classical music into his playing is just phenominal.

He truly is/was one of the best out there and its sad his life so trageically ended young. But if he was still here today, I'd think by the 90s, hed have left playing live and focused on teaching because thats where his heart really was...

I was listening to those a couple of months ago while looking for new (old) live footage from that box set that was release a year or so ago. They are really cool. Loved DOAM the most though, the middle acoustic section was always my favorite. It's sombre yet the tension builds throughout the part. It's just as powerful on it's own.

Also cool are the Eddie VH isolated tracks.
Diary was the first isolated track that I listened to. I always felt that this was more of the direction that he wanted to go musically.
The funny thing is that he was able to grow as a guitarist in Blizzard of Ozz...but,eventually he was feeling restricted as a guitarist in Blizzard. Which tells me that he hadn't reached his full potential at the time of his death.Amazed to think about what he would have done next!

I could be wrong, but it seems like he used a wah in his sound. He probably had the pedal pressed around halfway and when he hit solos, he put it forward all the way? One thing about Randy's tone that everyone could agree on, is that it sounded like crap. Its not a tone many actually want because it was just heavily distorted. I know he did use an MXR 10 band EQ as well as an MXR Plus distortion pedal. I've often seen guys incorporate a wah into it but their wah "leaks" from what is heard. He also used a chorus pedal. One guy used 2 chorus pedals to add depth which sounded pretty good with no wah. But his tone is not extemely hard to obtain. Not like trying to get Jimmy page, Peter Green or some type of tone where the "fingers" produce the tone as well.

Now with that said, his musicality is by far one of the best out there. To incorporate classical music into his playing is just phenominal.

He truly is/was one of the best out there and its sad his life so trageically ended young. But if he was still here today, I'd think by the 90s, hed have left playing live and focused on teaching because thats where his heart really was...
I don't think the overall production on B of O helped his tone at all...the production on that record is really flat to me. I think his tone improved on Diary because the production was a lot better.

Here's a really good article with high praise from Steve Vai :

Randy Rhoads | Vintage Guitar® magazine

“I remember when I first heard ‘Crazy Train’ and then its freight-train of a guitar came screaming in,” Steve Vai of the lead in an interview on the box set’s documentary. “I think it’s the first rock track I heard where the solo came in and got scared.”

“When you listen to his solos, there are moments of uniqueness,” Vai says on the new DVD. “And when I say uniqueness, I mean things that have never been done before by a guitar player.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom