Randy Rhoads Isolated guitar tracks (6 Viewers)

Here's an excerpt from the article:

How was the “Crazy Train” solo recorded to get such a clear, piercing sound?

This is one of them that was triple tracked. If you listen to that track real close, you’ll hear there’s one main guitar around the center, as I remember, and there are two other guitars playing exactly the same thing, panned to the left and right, but back somewhat. And actually what happens is you don’t hear them – you just hear it as one guitar. He was the best guy at overdubbing solos and tracking them that I’ve ever seen. I mean, he used to blow me away. So on a lot of those things, when you hear a guitar that really comes out, that’s because there are three of them there. And it’s not like an ADT – he’s actually playing them three times, which means you get a very stable image. It really does sit there, rather than shift left or right, depending on where the delay is. That’s really the reason for that. Plus it’s a Charvel – they have an extraordinary top end. (I'm pretty sure that he's talking about the Polka dot Sandoval V...because he refers to the Charvel with polka dots in another part of the interview)

In the article Norman mentioned that RR used the same pedalboard live as he did in the studio. He also said that an AMS 1580 effect was used in the studio.

Norman describes the AMS 1580 effect as "a very clean British digital delay" that's "almost like a flange,but not quite."

I could be wrong, but it seems like he used a wah in his sound. He probably had the pedal pressed around halfway and when he hit solos, he put it forward all the way? One thing about Randy's tone that everyone could agree on, is that it sounded like crap. Its not a tone many actually want because it was just heavily distorted. I know he did use an MXR 10 band EQ as well as an MXR Plus distortion pedal. I've often seen guys incorporate a wah into it but their wah "leaks" from what is heard. He also used a chorus pedal. One guy used 2 chorus pedals to add depth which sounded pretty good with no wah. But his tone is not extemely hard to obtain. Not like trying to get Jimmy page, Peter Green or some type of tone where the "fingers" produce the tone as well.

Now with that said, his musicality is by far one of the best out there. To incorporate classical music into his playing is just phenominal.

He truly is/was one of the best out there and its sad his life so trageically ended young. But if he was still here today, I'd think by the 90s, hed have left playing live and focused on teaching because thats where his heart really was...

I would sell my soul for lessons from RR...

Can't disagree that Gilmour was a great one. Each had such different styles, it's hard choosing one over another. Gilmour had such a clean, bluesy style. It was as if heartache oozed out of the chords he played.

you are absolutely correct.
like apples and oranges.
Gilmour is more my style. just love the soul that man puts out without be over complex.

I would sell my soul for lessons from RR...
You, me and millions of others lol

Very different players, both talented. Gilmore as you say, unleashed soul. His solos were phenominaly bleeding hearts where as Rhoads was soulful in technicality. His solos were not flashy. Technical ecstasy? Yes! But he was so musically inclined and had vision that just superceded players of flash. His guitar parts were very intricate. And he may not have had to work on much to incorporate it all? Rather he may have just sat and played what his brain and heart showed which if thats the case? Was phenominal!

Players like Vai or Satriani. No matter how technical they play, it seems so mechanical. Yes theyre virtuoso but somehow lack soul for lack of a better word. Thats just my opinion.

Dude.
Absolutely.
Rhoades is a prodigy and a legend.
It all gets down to genre and what you like.
Gilmour does it for me. :9:
Right but dont go saying Gilmour was a master and Rhoads just had great talent. Both have equal talent within their playing style. If someone went to you and said Clapton is God. Would you agree? I sure as hell dont.
There are plenty of guitar Gods out there. It depends on the sytle you like. But key is taking bits and pieces from as many as you can and incorporate it into YOUR style.

For me, Toni Iommi was THE reason I picked up guitar. And I still think Sabbath is/was the best band in the world. Their first 2 albums to me are phenominal. I picked up playing JUST to play Sabbath. That was all! I started learnign Sabbath tunes, intro, ect and from their I started creating my own music. Now Im no prodigy, genius or anything. but my mind is pretty creative to come up with music. I've written a few things and Im not very good a t lead, but I could write on sheet music and make it sound pretty damn good. I just havent honed my chops to play it. I dont know much of anything about theory. I just know what can go together and sound good. I started getting away from 3 chord songs. I found it too easy. Friends told me I played too technical. But thats what came out of my head when I just piece it together. Not my fault I cant play what I hear inside. lol But there are a ton of guys I enjoy listenign to besides just Iommi , Rhoads, Wylde. Late 60s/early 70s there's a plethora of guitarists who were phenominal...

Course if not talking metal Jimi and SRV all time.
Robin Trower and Joe Petrucci amongst the living.

True dat w Marino.
RR my all time favorite 2.
Just throwing a few names out there.
Really, thanks for the thread/links.

True dat w Marino.
RR my all time favorite 2.
Just throwing a few names out there.
Really, thanks for the thread/links.

You're welcome!

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of RR's isolated tracks for Revelation (Mother Earth) and Tonight!

The outro solo for Tonight is the real deal...I've always wanted to hear that solo all the way through without the fadeout.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom