Real Estate Agents and Builders to stop using the terms “master bedroom” and “master bathroom” (3 Viewers)

Ahem. Getting back to the topic of the thread, which has somehow turned into a ******* match, the term "master" is problematic in another way. It was the mistress who in many cases directed the household, of an aristocratic house: the servants and such--and thus a room in a house called "master" anything is not very accurate. Why not call it "Main Bedroom?" It could still be abbreviated as MBR.
It works, but I like the sound of primary bedroom better. I think for abbreviated purposes you could still use main bedroom and MBR, but still call it whatever you like.

White fragility refers to feelings of discomfort a white person experiences when they witness discussions around racial inequality and injustice.
Nope
The white person may become defensive, and the person of color may feel obligated to comfort the white person because we live in a white-dominated environment.
Only person I was defending myself against was you
Racial stressors may cause a range of defensive behaviors and emotions. White people may act in certain ways when people of color discuss racism.

Their reactions may include:
  • anger
  • fear
  • guilt
  • arguing
  • silence
  • leaving the stress-inducing situation
By behaving in this way, white people may prevent people of color from attempting to talk about racism with them.
I'll wait while you point out ANY of these that I displayed other than directly answering your attacks.
Different sources of racial stress that white people can experience may come from:
  • a person claiming that a white person’s views are racist
  • a person of color talking about their racial experiences and perspectives
  • a person of color not protecting a white person’s feelings about racism
  • a fellow white person not agreeing with another white person’s perspectives on racism
  • a white person receiving feedback that their behavior or actions had a racist impact
  • a white person being presented with a person of color in a position of leadership
Well, you got me there. I'm not sure there's anyone who wouldn't be offended at being labeled a racist.

As it pertains to this discussion, I don't think anyone here is feeling uncomfortable, angry, fearful or otherwise. There are some here that think this is an insignificant and superficial change. There are also others here who think the people changing it are doing more for self promotion rather than a desire to make anything better and question whether a change is really necessary and whether or not it will bring anything positive.

Last edited:
I think because of the widespread use of the word for things wholly unrelated to social or race issues, it would be problematic to get rid of the term. I've always understood master=main or primary when it comes to master bedroom or master bath which is how it's meant in most contexts.

But if it offends too many people, I won't lose any sleep over it if it goes away. Just a word.
It didn't offend anyone until a couple weeks ago. It's just the word of the week/day. Nobody is even thinking like it's some sort of demeaning reference. I never once thought of it as being the "slave masters" chambers. Am I that insensitive??

It didn't offend anyone until a couple weeks ago.

Of course it did. It's just that there's social inertia for change right now, so it's being brought up. Imagine that your wife always forgets to turn the lights off when she leaves the house. You don't bring it up because you know to pick your battles. But one day she says "hey, let's figure out ways to bring our electric bill down". That's when you bring it up - because there's inertia for it. It doesn't mean that her leaving the lights on didn't bother you before.

It's just the word of the week/day. Nobody is even thinking like it's some sort of demeaning reference. I never once thought of it as being the "slave masters" chambers. Am I that insensitive??

I don't think you're insensitive for never thinking of it as "slave masters" chambers - I didn't either. But I do think being dismissive and saying "it didn't offend anyone until a couple weeks ago" is a bit of an insensitive statement.

Of course it did. It's just that there's social inertia for change right now, so it's being brought up. Imagine that your wife always forgets to turn the lights off when she leaves the house. You don't bring it up because you know to pick your battles. But one day she says "hey, let's figure out ways to bring our electric bill down". That's when you bring it up - because there's inertia for it. It doesn't mean that her leaving the lights on didn't bother you before.

I don't think you're insensitive for never thinking of it as "slave masters" chambers - I didn't either. But I do think being dismissive and saying "it didn't offend anyone until a couple weeks ago" is a bit of an insensitive statement.

Maybe dismissive, but I wouldn't call it insensitive because it's pretty much true. It didn't. So it's a fair statement. That doesn't mean we shouldn't evaluate whether the use of the term is good or not. Ultimately, i think this will become a non-event and we'll move on to real, relevant stuff, like renaming US bases to something other than Confederate soldiers and/or leaders and eventually renaming cities. There are numerous cities and towns across the country named after Confederate leaders.

And of course, dealing with larger issues of systemic racism and reparations.

Ultimately, people are fickle and have short memories, so the mundane stuff will get a quick look-see then move on. But hopefully the larger issues get a more serious look than names of bedrooms and hard drives.

Maybe dismissive, but I wouldn't call it insensitive because it's pretty much true. It didn't. So it's a fair statement. That doesn't mean we shouldn't evaluate whether the use of the term is good or not. Ultimately, i think this will become a non-event and we'll move on to real, relevant stuff, like renaming US bases to something other than Confederate soldiers and/or leaders and eventually renaming cities. There are numerous cities and towns across the country named after Confederate leaders.

Ultimately, people are fickle and have short memories, so the mundane stuff will get a quick look-see then move on. But hopefully the larger issues get a more serious look than names of bedrooms and hard drives.

Agree with all of this - well put.

Agree completely & look forward to more meaningful changes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom