Reggie Bush is the new Aaron Brooks, or will be soon (1 Viewer)

If I am the only one seeing this, then why have there been so many threads on Bush' production?

Btw, I am not arguing how productive or non-productive he's been, but rather, how the attitudes seem to be when it comes to his production.

The threads come from...well I don't know precisely. I suppose people feel that, because he was a #2 pick, it's important to bash him and watch him bleed a little. People are like that for whatever reason. When a player is hyped and doesn't nessecarily meet the hype, people feel obligated to swing to the other extreme of the hype and try to trash the player as harshly as possible. I'm not entirely sure the motivation for this, but it's constant.

Because modern media, especially the media surrounding the NFL, overhypes EVERYTHING, it's virtually guranteed players will constantly fall short of the hype. Reggie Bush never had a chance in hell of being the next Gale Sayers because Gale Sayers wouldn't be the next Gale Sayers in todays NFL. It's evolved. You don't have Michael Jordans in the NFL.

But the comparison is made and for some reason it ticks people off at Reggie Bush, as if he should apologize for being succesful in college and causing people to like him.

The same thing happens with guys like Peyton Manning for instance. Peyton's a good quarterback. Maybe he isn't the best in the NFL, it's a subjective arguement, but he IS overhyped because the accolades he recieves no one on the planet deserves.

So what happens? Make a thread "PEYTON MANNING IS THE BEST QB IN THE NFL" and people will pile in to completely trash Manning with a venom usually reserved for worst enemies. Why? I don't know. They feel like the accolades aren't deserved and, even though it's not Mannings fault (he's never said he's the best QB in the world), people take it out on him.

Again, it's as if people want players to apologize for the media's hype, even though media hype isn't done for the sake of the player but rather for the media.

I don't know why people are like this. But I know that this was entirely predictable and is NOT like what occured with Aaron Brooks.

For example, if we sign Colston to a big time deal and then he gets injured or doesn't perform, you'd see the same stuff go about darling Colston. That happens.

What occured with Brooks however was taken far more personnally. People were making judgements on other peoples character and very beliefs based on the stance on Brooks. Brooks was a polarizing character on the level with like Bush (as ridiculous as that seems to be considering he just played football).

Brooks was a very destructive arguement. The Bush arguements are annoying, but an unfourtante and expected part of how fans react to professional football these days.

Dude, please read my other posts on this message board if you must. I'm in complete agreeance with you.

I am sorry Danchrism, just thought you were about to get on me. I have been getting my behind jumped all year for saying the same thing. Everyone keeps pulling all the numbers from other RBs out to compare and justify his lack of success. I watched Barry Sanders, Tiki Barber, Faulk, etc. and they all showed their flashes of greatness by now, Bush has not showed anything from the RB position.

The truth is Reggie played in a pitiful defensive conference in college, with supreme talent around him on offense. He did not see a good defense until he got to the NFL.

Also, not too long ago, I sat next to Marshall Faulk on my trip back from Vegas, and he says the same thing I have been saying

The problem with focusing on Bush for his poor running is that he contributes in other ways. We have one of the best offenses in the league and he is a big reason for it. We are in the top 10 in yards, scoring, and 3rd down conversion %.

The threads come from...well I don't know precisely. I suppose people feel that, because he was a #2 pick, it's important to bash him and watch him bleed a little. People are like that for whatever reason. When a player is hyped and doesn't nessecarily meet the hype, people feel obligated to swing to the other extreme of the hype and try to trash the player as harshly as possible. I'm not entirely sure the motivation for this, but it's constant.

Because modern media, especially the media surrounding the NFL, overhypes EVERYTHING, it's virtually guranteed players will constantly fall short of the hype. Reggie Bush never had a chance in hell of being the next Gale Sayers because Gale Sayers wouldn't be the next Gale Sayers in todays NFL. It's evolved. You don't have Michael Jordans in the NFL.

But the comparison is made and for some reason it ticks people off at Reggie Bush, as if he should apologize for being succesful in college and causing people to like him.

The same thing happens with guys like Peyton Manning for instance. Peyton's a good quarterback. Maybe he isn't the best in the NFL, it's a subjective arguement, but he IS overhyped because the accolades he recieves no one on the planet deserves.

So what happens? Make a thread "PEYTON MANNING IS THE BEST QB IN THE NFL" and people will pile in to completely trash Manning with a venom usually reserved for worst enemies. Why? I don't know. They feel like the accolades aren't deserved and, even though it's not Mannings fault (he's never said he's the best QB in the world), people take it out on him.

Again, it's as if people want players to apologize for the media's hype, even though media hype isn't done for the sake of the player but rather for the media.

I don't know why people are like this. But I know that this was entirely predictable and is NOT like what occured with Aaron Brooks.

For example, if we sign Colston to a big time deal and then he gets injured or doesn't perform, you'd see the same stuff go about darling Colston. That happens.

What occured with Brooks however was taken far more personnally. People were making judgements on other peoples character and very beliefs based on the stance on Brooks. Brooks was a polarizing character on the level with like Bush (as ridiculous as that seems to be considering he just played football).

Brooks was a very destructive arguement. The Bush arguements are annoying, but an unfourtante and expected part of how fans react to professional football these days.

Agreed. +1

The media unfortunately plays a huge, huge role and their main focus is of course individual stats. They don't watch the games, so what else is there for them to talk about? The sad thing is the cats that go believe the crap that John Clayton instead of making their own opinions.

Last edited:
I am also trying to ignorie the argument. Everybody, such as the people on this board and also the analysts on TV, put a great deal of weight on stats. But, what reggie does for this team is immeasurable.

Those who are lableling him a bust need to calm down. He is not a bust. If we are to expect probowl type numbers in the first year from a RB selected with in the first round, then lets start labling cedric benson, ronnie brown as busts last year. Kevin Jones has not produced until this year, he should have been a bust last year. LJ had to wait for his turn, two years after he was picked, meaning he should have been a bust his first two years. Ricky, I guess was a bust his first year. I am sure there are so many more examples. Lets just be patient. We are 6-2 because every person on this team is integral for us to win.

Bush has 700 total yards in 8 games by spltting time with another back. Remember we do not pay him 60 million a year. It is over the next 6 years. To me, if he stays with what he is doing and learns to cutback instead of running outside, he is going to be even more incredible, just be patient.

I think people that are being critical of him are just simply watching FB and not buying in to the hype. Guess what, that hype is what has made him a very rich man. He has to accept the drawbacks to that if he underperforms...

:dedhrse:

If you're familiar with NFL then you KNOW that it takes ATLEAST a year for a rookie to adjust to the NFL. Reggie Bush worked ina pro style offense in college so he has a leg up but we all know that the NFL is a different game. Does it suprise you that basically every hyped up rookie is struggling this season? That's what makes what Colston is doing so amazing.

Wow, unbelievable. Reggie is playing a vital role on a team that could be THE comeback story of the year. The positive media coverage and his work in the community are priceless. Some people amaze me.

Agreed. +1

The media unfortunately plays a huge, huge role and their main focus is of course stats.

Well let's say we had selected AJ Hawk and AJ Hawk had put up, uh, Scott Shanle numbers.

Not bad, Shanle's been solid for us, but not spectacular, not even the best LB on the team (Fujita).

Do you think we'd have the arguements we have now about Bush concerning Hawk? Nope, not a chance. Just zero chance whatsoever. Despite this, I doubt anyone would say Shanle has had more of an impact then Bush has.

But most people would say "well Hawk will develop into a Pro Bowler. He's solid right now and we're winning. I know he'll get better. That's good enough"

The same curtousy is not extended to Bush.

The reason is because of the ridiculous hype surrounding Bush vs the much more quiet talk concerning Hawk.

I think people that are being critical of him are just simply watching FB and not buying in to the hype. Guess what, that hype is what has made him a very rich man. He has to accept the drawbacks to that if he underperforms...

See, precisely what I talked about. The issue isn't with his play, it's with his "hype".

It's an issue with the media that, for some reason, gets taken out on the player.

Question, what should Reggie have done? Refused the Saints said "no i'm a late first rounder at best, I can't accept this contract"?

See, precisely what I talked about. The issue isn't with his play, it's with his "hype".

It's an issue with the media that, for some reason, gets taken out on the player.

Question, what should Reggie have done? Refused the Saints said "no i'm a late first rounder at best, I can't accept this contract"?

Well while I agree with you on the issue, I think his play has been concerning...Particularly in the last two weeks. I don't know if he's fighting the ankle or what but I know he can play better. It looks like his confidence is shot right now, but it only takes a couple of runs to fix that.

Well while I agree with you on the issue, I think his play has been concerning...Particularly in the last two weeks. I don't know if he's fighting the ankle or what but I know he can play better. It looks like his confidence is shot right now, but it only takes a couple of runs to fix that.

I think his confidence is shot to an extent and I agree it will only take maybe one good game to turn it around. He's pressing to hard it seems to me and it's causing some poor decisions. Hopefully he can pull out of it, but he may have to sort of slip underneath the radar for a few games before he can get it back together.

I'm one of those people who wasn't THAT impressed with Bush in college. You know why guys like Timmy Chang, Sonny Cumbie, Eric Crouch, and Thunder Collins aren't in the NFL? They were system guys. Reggie Bush, imo, is another system guy, the difference being that other components in the system (strong run/pass blockers, solid WRs, very smart quarterback) translate well into the NFL, while Reggie's skill sets, while very impressive, did not ensure that he would be a good NFL RB in my eyes. I saw him break all of 1.5 tackles in 3 years at USC, and his best "inside" runs came with gaps wide enough to make Michael Strahan's grill jealous.

The unfortunate part of my prognosis is that I think Bush is so stuck in his ways, that he'll never quite be that NFL runner. All the "give him time to learn" talk smacks directly against the commonly-held opinion that running back is the easiest position to plug-and-go. Unless he gets the holes that he had in college, or linebackers make a retrogression in their physical/measurable tooling, he'll continue to have these types of struggles.

I think we need to use him the same way the Falcons used Eric Metcalf (good receiver who couldn't do it in the backfield) or the way the Chargers used Ronnie Harmon (good receiver who couldn't do it in the backfield). THEN we'll get the max value out of him, not stubbornly playing him at RB and watching him do an Irish jig in the backfield while any holes created by the line close up faster than you can say "Helix High."

One of my first posts here.

Nobody is calling him a bust. You can't be a bust until you stop wearing an NFL jersey, by which point people can judge EVERYTHING you've done and are gonna do. We're saying he isn't running too well right now, tell me how that even remotely resembles the 4-letter b-word?

The problem with focusing on Bush for his poor running is that he contributes in other ways. We have one of the best offenses in the league and he is a big reason for it. We are in the top 10 in yards, scoring, and 3rd down conversion %.
This is what just blows my mind when it comes to these people bashing Bush, our receivers are going one on one with DB's or they are all alone because most of the time where Reggie go's so go's three LB's and one safety. Every body wants him to get his act together in the backfield but to say he's not worth the money or not a good pick at number two is just insane. I never thought I'd say this to another saints fan but "Look at the scoreboard" 6-2 WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom