Roger Waters has re-recorded Dark Side of the Moon, says “those guys aren’t artists” (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
New treatment, slated for May release, includes what is described as a Johnny Cash-esque take on Money.

Presuming that there’s no publishing copyright issue (not sure about that), he’s free to re-record it and put fresh takes or whatever he wants to do, those kinds of projects can often be cool.

But to be such a dick about it is well, very Roger Waters.

Waters is adamant that Dark Side is his to muck about with however he sees fit. “I wrote The Dark Side of the Moon. Let’s get rid of all this ‘we’ c--p! Of course we were a band, there were four of us, we all contributed – but it’s my project and I wrote it. So… blah!” (Waters, who wrote the album’s lyrics, is credited with composing three of its 10 tracks, and co-writing music for two others.)
. . .
Waters’s problem with the rest of Floyd, he says, was that they “can’t write”. “Well, Nick never pretended. But Gilmour and Rick [Wright, the keyboardist]? They can’t write songs, they’ve nothing to say. They are not artists!” He shouts the last two words. “They have no ideas, not a single one between them. They never have had, and that drives them crazy.” It’s oddly poignant, hearing him berate Wright (who died in 2008) in the present tense. It’s as if keeping the petty rivalry alive is a way of keeping Wright alive. Wright’s final solo album, he says, is “not as vacuous as Drake, but it’s pretty vacuous”.

Rolling Stone was a bit kinder to the project:

Besides Waters, the only collaborators on the new album are reportedly Waters’ longtime collaborator and multi-instrumentalist Gus Seyffert, a “Baptist minister” who plays a Hammond organ, and Seyffert’s girlfriend, the singer Bedouine. Waters is said to play a bass solo on “Us and Them,” and reportedly adds his own vocals over the original album’s instrumentals, including a “prose poem over ‘On The Run.’”

Saunders, who claims he is only one of “handful” of people who have listened to the solo album “from start-to-finish,” described parts of the re-recording as “very good.” In particular, Saunders touts “Time” as “terrific with his old man’s timbre” and the “Money” as a “country-tinged” cut reminiscent of “late Johnny Cash.”

Last edited:
Never was a pink Floyd fan so probably will continue that tradition. My brother was a pretty big fan of theirs at one time and I know they were a huge band but just not my kinda thing.

as someone who has been a part of many collaborative projects that someone then tries to claim is THEIR!! work, this is bringing up old wounds
he can go marital relation himself

also crap

I don’t want to underestimate him because personality aside, he’s a brilliant musician and a capable showman - but the write up on the album sounds like it could be dog-sheet (the only collaborator is a Hammond organ playing minister and his girlfriend “Bedouine”).

I don’t want to underestimate him because personality aside, he’s a brilliant musician and a capable showman - but the write up on the album sounds like it could be dog-sheet (the only collaborator is a Hammond organ playing minister and his girlfriend “Bedouine”).
i notice this most with movie directors, but anyone is vulnerable
when you're young and fighting against everyone to get your content out there, it almost always passes through a crucible - sometimes that process makes something worse, but usually if you have talent and are having to make micro-adjustments to accommodate other voices
then you get success and noone is saying 'no' to you anymore the output is often worse bc it's is usually a very pretty first draft

Never was a pink Floyd fan so probably will continue that tradition. My brother was a pretty big fan of theirs at one time and I know they were a huge band but just not my kinda thing.
Same. If I'm listening and 1 of their songs come on, I'll surf around the channels for a better option. I get that they're significant contributors in music history, just not my thing either.

"They can’t write songs, they’ve nothing to say. They are not artists!”

Lol was Dark Side of the Moon trying to say something? It's a shame this will be a commercial success because it's going to be awful and will further inflate this windbag's oversized ego.

Waters has always had a very high opinion of himself, apparently. Not shocking. He and Gilmour have been at it on Twitter recently. They still hate each other.

I mean, should this come as a surprise to anyone really? Waters has always been a jackwagon, albeit a supremely talented jackwagon that when he left the band it ceased to be Pink Floyd.....at least to me....

Pink Floyd's brilliance IMO was the sinister lyrics and RW vocals combined with the incredibly melodic, mellow, plush sound of the music and DG's vocals.....without either Waters or Gilmore the band is not the same....

Lol.. ya ever heard that guitar solo by someone other than yourself on "Time," Rog?

Helped to put out some of the greatest music ever but what a complete piece of sheet.

"They have no ideas, not a single one between them" says the man who ripped off Ralph Vaughn-Williams' "London Symphony" to 'write' the song "Echoes."

I'm a big fan of Pink Floyd's music from the 70s, but Waters hasn't written a single noteworthy thing since breaking up the band. That being the case, I question whether "his ideas" are really his or if he was just riding Syd Barrett's ideas and what he was doing musically before he had to give it up to check into a mental institution.

Also, it's highly unlikely the rest of the band did not make any contributions to the evolution of the songs as they worked on them and recorded them. Or maybe that's what he's saying here: the songs were better before they added to them. If that's what he's saying, he's just plain wrong, and stupid. The collaborative effort of the four musicians made all those recordings, not just him.

Perhaps he needs to find his way into a mental institution himself, not that his ego would fit through the front door, because he's in dire need of an intervention. What a punk. It's no wonder Gilmour hates him.

"They can’t write songs, they’ve nothing to say. They are not artists!”

Lol was Dark Side of the Moon trying to say something? It's a shame this will be a commercial success because it's going to be awful and will further inflate this windbag's oversized ego.

Dark Side of the Moon was just an excuse to smoke weed and go to the planetarium.

Roger Waters somewhere talking about the other members of Pink Floyd:

giphy.gif

Talking to the media:

200w.gif

After this album comes out and flops:

200w.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom