Rumor - Morstead (2 Viewers)

When the leg speed and strength for punters starts to slip their mechanics becomes less consistent because they start to “over-kick.” That is what I saw in 2020. When he tried to uncork one and/or felt pressure he was not good. Punting is more like swinging a golf club in that respect.

He had a back injury during the off season and said he wasn't able to workout and get into proper shape. There may have been something else wrong but I'm not sure. I was willing to give him another year because of it but the Saints felt otherwise.

He hasn't played anywhere else, what else would he retire as?

As an unrestricted free agent since he's not a member of any team. It would be a totally ceremonial move, but lots of players have done it. I mean, it clearly means something to some players to be a member of a specific team when they retire.

He had a back injury during the off season and said he wasn't able to workout and get into proper shape. There may have been something else wrong but I'm not sure. I was willing to give him another year because of it but the Saints felt otherwise.
A back injury would certainly explain why the drop off seemed so severe. Hopefully it’s not a Larry Bird type thing that will not heal properly if he keeps on punting.

Morstead was in the middle of the pack in net yds per punt. But he was 1st in number of fair catches and was 2 in the league when FCs and inside 20 were combined. Punt team only allowed 46 total ret. yds on 62 punts. That is amazing. He was excellent at pinning returners to sidelines. There's more to punting than net yds average.

Morstead was in the middle of the pack in net yds per punt. But he was 1st in number of fair catches and was 2 in the league when FCs and inside 20 were combined. Punt team only allowed 46 total ret. yds on 62 punts. That is amazing. He was excellent at pinning returners to sidelines. There's more to punting than net yds average.
I knew I heard a real positive & surprising stat on his punting last season but I could not find it again. Thanks Dan.

While I agree with most of what you said, there are two additional key things not mentioned.

1-Where/what was the average field position on 4th down, when the Saints punted inside the opposing team’s 20? Was it at the 50? The opponent’s 45...etc?

2-On non-returned punts (fair caught), how far from the LOS did the punt travel? (IE; pitching iron distance punt, compared to a driver type distance punt, is a big difference). Shorter the distance, more likely a fair catch will happen.

I saw a number of his punts last season, where the offense stalled inside their own 30, and his punts were fair caught around the opponents 45, or even nearer the 50. And lot of times, he was kicking the ball out of bounds, between the 50-45 yard line of the opposition. This was a far cry from his previous abilities, when he was at his best!

All said. It is time to move on.

He only kicked 6 balls OOB. Opponents only averaged 2.3 yds/ret. First in the league. We may indeed move on, but don't diminish what he did last year just because you convinced yourself his punts weren't pretty enough.

He only kicked 6 balls OOB. Opponents only averaged 2.3 yds/ret. First in the league. We may indeed move on, but don't diminish what he did last year just because you convinced yourself his punts weren't pretty enough.
You were not talking to me, but want to note my comments were not bagging on Morstead. He is an all-time great punter in my book.

When you make his salary and are no longer consistently elite, teams look to change direction. I could care less about pretty, but did see that he had some clankers in big moments that gave the defense little margin for error to keep points off the board and was seldom able to reset field position, which he almost always did until 2020.

While I agree with most of what you said, there are two additional key things not mentioned.

1-Where/what was the average field position on 4th down, when the Saints punted inside the opposing team’s 20? Was it at the 50? The opponent’s 45...etc?

2-On non-returned punts (fair caught), how far from the LOS did the punt travel? (IE; pitching iron distance punt, compared to a driver type distance punt, is a big difference). Shorter the distance, more likely a fair catch will happen.

I saw a number of his punts last season, where the offense stalled inside their own 30, and his punts were fair caught around the opponents 45, or even nearer the 50. And lot of times, he was kicking the ball out of bounds, between the 50-45 yard line of the opposition. This was a far cry from his previous abilities, when he was at his best!

All said. It is time to move on.
I agree with what you said. We have our share of three and outs. In years past Morstead would flip the field by hitting a 60-70 yard punt. His long this year was 58 he only had one other year where he didn’t hit a 60 plus yarder. It was times last year I was calling for the rookie to come off IR, because he wasn’t consistent.

I hope he comes back!!! He was battling an injury all season (back, I think) and we still had the best punt coverage in the league.

The Saints only allowed 46 return yards all season and had 2.3 yard average. Best in the NFL.

And 29 fair catches - Best in the NFL.

He is a class act. I met him few years back and he is one of the best guys I ever met in the Saints uniform.

As an unrestricted free agent since he's not a member of any team. It would be a totally ceremonial move, but lots of players have done it. I mean, it clearly means something to some players to be a member of a specific team when they retire.
I can't recall anyone doing this without having played for another team in the interim.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom